Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballsiest thing i saw the jock do...

Years ago, working for a small AM, I preceded the fellow that did a Sunday
    Hawaiian show- you may of heard of him- he called himself "the gentle one"...

I often lingered (as I'm known to do) and chat, talk story, listen to 'ol kine
    stories he told me...

He did alot of his show in Hawaiian and most of the time kept to pretty
    traditional stuff... now and then though he proved he was "with it" by
    playing something new-

on one of those accasions when he got "frisky" and decided to play a new
    Peter Moon song, he got a call from a listener who read him the riot act
    for daring to "not play real hawaiian music", and she was loud- could hear
    her from across the turntables where I was standing- he thanked her,
    hung up, and with skipping a beat-

he opened the mic- and said "we've just had a request to play that song again-
    and since I like it so much too- here it comes again-

he reached over, lifted the tone-arm and dropped the needle right at the
    start and we heard Peter sing it again...

and he did it all in a very sincere voice- so smooth- so sweet-

I sure miss him... he's gone now- no doubt playing favorites for his
    fans "up there"...

You shoulda seen my face though when he did it

Thinking of you Moses!

Re: Ballsiest thing i saw the jock do...

It wasn't that long ago Jeff Coelho, then GM at The Big Kahuna, was filling in on the morning show and played a call on the air from a female listener that was just giving him a ration of bovine scatology (not that she was swearing, but she was really quite rude to him). He ended the call by saying something like thank you for calling ... and then without further words, played "Witchy Woman" by the Eagles. I nearly drove off the road into the path of the aloha shirt army downtown, I was laughing so hard. He got his licks in but did it, in my opinion, in a smirking, classic way.
    THAT was good radio.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
      ...played "Witchy Woman"
      That's cool-

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
        ... and then without further words, played "Witchy Woman" by the Eagles. I nearly drove off the road into the path of the aloha shirt army downtown, I was laughing so hard.
        Most excellent!
        Okay, how about this...
        Our station got a request from the Girl Scouts to put together a PSA (Public Service Announcement, for you newbies) for their upcoming cookie drive. The jock took the copy into the production studio and finally figured out a good music bed to lay under the VO (voice-over)... the instrumental section from David Bowie's "Suffragette City". Jock gets through the VO about the Girl Scout cookies just as the instrumental ends and Bowie comes back in with... (surely can you guess it)... "Ahhhhh, wham, bam, thank you ma'am!"

After it aired for a while, the Girl Scout troop leaders called and weren't happy, though.

I knew the jock pretty well, since I shaved his face in the mirror every morning.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Anyone remember the details years ago on KIKI-AM when there was some sort of controversy regarding Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"? If memory serves, someone refused to play the record since they felt the song was a joke.

Anyone remember the parties involved?

Comment

Ballsiest thing i saw the jock do... TRUE STORY!!!

here is a Great one! awhile back in high school, when I was just a weee intern, my Mentor who at the time was THE night jock on Island 107 jams in hilo, we were recieving rather weird phone calls, with heavy breathing and silience... it continued... 4, 5, 6 times and then finally a voice came on and said "hey guys its me!! record this!!!" we have both heard the voice before and made it out to be one of the weekend jocks.... SO!!! we started recording like anyone else would do... the steady stream of silence soon turned into kinky grunts and noises, so we carefully payed attention turning the monitor in the studio up to full volume... louder and louder it became, we knew what was going on it was one of the jocks getting it on!!! then suddenly!!!! another female voice was heard in the background, "yeah!!! yeah!! get her!!! #%^& her harder!!! %$#^ her harder!!!" we were blown away!! at that point we knew that this jock had 2 gurls in bed with him getting it on with one while the other one was coaching from the side lines...

you ready for this part???

hear is the kicker!!! then the second female "COACH" screams "yeah yeah!!! F*$# HER WITH THE BOTTLE!!! F%&*# her with the bottle!!!" as we start cracking up!!! we look down to the phone board and notice that every line was flashing!!! ALL OF THEM!!! furthur inspection of the "ON AIR" board told us that for the last 10 mins everything we heard was LIVE on the air!!!

As the jock picks up the office line (the EMERGENCY #) its the GMs wife!!! "my husband is very upset about the little prank you just pulled he wants to see you in the office first thing in the morning!!!

He gasp as he relizes his job is done. his radio career... over. The next morning comes around and in comes the GM straight to his office with a very puzzled face!!!
            as The jock explains the story with the upmost sadness and tears about to roll down his eyes, the GM with the most serious face, looks up and starts laughing sooooooo hard!!!

Turns out! he heard the whole thing and thought it was the funniest thing ever, but couldnt let us think it was funny cause his wife was around, so he acted all pisst and told her to call us up and say "be @ his office first thing in the morn"

P.S. that jock doesnt work on the radio any more but, his intern tells the tale of the night when we both almost lost our jobs :-)

True story!!!

(for the sake of protecting the identity of this jock we will call him... "Dustin Rudy" lol
            Last edited by DEEP THROAT; June 21, 2005, 02:36 PM.

Comment

WOW!

Having had my share of late weekend night shifts
              and gotten many a heavy breathing session that
              often ended with some sort of invitation for
              the "real thing" I can only imagine if the phone
              line was running live...

especially one of that heat-

yipes :-)

Comment

Ummm...typically the monitors go dead when a mic goes hot...BUT (and yes it's a nice one)...on the studio boards at CC is a green button off on the side underneath the console. This button allows the jock to use the studio mic instead of the phone receiver to talk to a listener without turning up the phone pot! However...if that button is not switched off, the next call will go "LIVE". How many times have we heard Larry Price talk to a caller while a song is played out? That's how.

So I'll give this Urband Legend some credance as IT REALLY CAN HAPPEN
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

When I used to work at KGU over at the Waikiki Trade Center...I think it was 17 floors up, our studio window looked directly at the balconies of I think it's the Coral Reef or something like that. On summer break we would see a lot of action in those rooms so eventually someone drew up a grid with each block representing a room number. At the bottom was the front desk's main number.

One BORING night of talk radio feeds from WABC in New York, I ordered a pizza and had it sent to a room where two girls were obviously enjoying themselves on the balcony (our windows were mirror tinted and the studio lights off). A note told them if they wanted more action to wave at our window which was now lights on and to wait for a call on their room phone.

With Maharaja's right downstairs some of us at KGU had some nice overnight stories to tell the morning crew And you thought Talk Radio was boring!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X