Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between a rock and a risky place?

Evening all (or morning as the case may be),

I'm looking for input on adventure of becoming a contributing member of Hawaiian society - aka getting a job. I have an application in for a position at the Community College on Kaua'i, but I'm not sure if they'll even be considering applicants not currently on the Island. I've got my fingers crossed but am trying to keep the optimism cautious.

I'm looking for insight/anecdotes/experiences people have had with trying to do the cross-ocean job search versus the 'pick up everything and work like mad to find a job upon arrival' approach. I can see pros and cons with both, so I would very much like to hear about advice from both perspectives.

Advance thanks for your stories!

Re: Between a rock and a risky place?

Originally posted by redwoodcurtain View Post
    Evening all (or morning as the case may be),

I'm looking for input on adventure of becoming a contributing member of Hawaiian society - aka getting a job. I have an application in for a position at the Community College on Kaua'i, but I'm not sure if they'll even be considering applicants not currently on the Island. I've got my fingers crossed but am trying to keep the optimism cautious.

I'm looking for insight/anecdotes/experiences people have had with trying to do the cross-ocean job search versus the 'pick up everything and work like mad to find a job upon arrival' approach. I can see pros and cons with both, so I would very much like to hear about advice from both perspectives.

Advance thanks for your stories!
    the UH system will hire you even if you're not local! Like any good institution of higher learning, different insights from different cultures and experiences are more than welcome here. If you can get hired before moving here, great! It's better to work in a job you like than coming here and working a job just because it's the only thing that was available.

Be warned: looooooooots of service jobs (i.e. waiting tables, spas) are always advertised here.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Phone Interview in 25 minutes!

If I were going for something faculty, I imagine location of the applicant has slightly less bearing. However, it's a staff position. In my previous experiences with a couple different universities, hiring committees usually try to find applicants close to home to expedite and save on costs of the search. I'm cautiously optimistic that my oddly extensive experience in a field that isn't too widely popular (Financial Aid) will be a nod in my favor.

If I make it through the process I'll let you know when you can start sending B&G Club volunteer needs my way!

Comment

Sounds like you will fit right in!
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

how did the phone interview go?

joel

Comment

Kaonohi - I agree! Hopefully the search committee will reach the same conclusion

JAvendan - good-ish....of course as soon as I'm off the phone I think of a million ways I could have better answered some of the questions. I wish it were permissable to include the "I should have said ______" responses in the follow-up thank you emails.... Since worrying/stressing over what's already done won't help me any, I'm trying to remain positive and optimistic that my usual self was able to outshine the interview jitters.

While it won't be the end of the world if I don't make it, and the hubby and I will still plan to make it out to Kaua'i (eventually) regardless, I still very very very very much want for this to work out....

Keep your fingers crossed! First round will be on me!

Comment

I've known many a person who chose the get-a-job-after-moving-to-Hawaii route, and that usually results in a high dissatisfaction rate and quick move back to the Mainland when an ideal job doesn't materialize. Working multiple service industry jobs out of desperation to make ends meet while waiting for something "better to come along" can take a long time--and tends to lead to burn-out. This is especially true among young professionals who are at a point where furthering their career is important to them, as opposed to drifting along, working wherever just to experience traveling around the world.

That being said, there are always exceptions. And if you happen to be in a field that is always in demand (for ex. nursing), it is obviously a little less challenging.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the input chaos

I have a bit of an advantage in that the hubby can work remotely so we'll at least have his income - but we definitely aren't planning to try to make ends meet on just one source.

I've got the one current fish on the line (or perhaps I'm the fish...) and am really hoping to reel it in - but i'm still keeping my eyes open for any possible leads i can follow from this side of the pacific.

Mahalo again to everyone who has been contributing to my relocation-education

Comment

Working...
                X