Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Hawaiians travel

Just wondering:

1. Are there any evidence of Polynesians successfully arrived at somewhere else before they found Hawaii? South America? West coast U.S.? Blended with the locals, got killed by the natives, or just died off in insolation?

2. Are there any evidence of (now we can call them) Hawaiians, who set sail again? To find new land, out west. Successfully, or unsuccessfully?

3. Was Hawaii the "finial" destination for these migrating Polynesians? Meaning, after they arrived in Hawaii. They went somewhere else in the Pacific. It could be after or several generations after. Meaning....XXXX (ethnic group) had roots from Hawaiians.

Or based on wind, tides, and bird travel, the Hawaiian/Polynesians knew there was "nothing" out there, or too far?

And Hawaii was the final and last stop. Or those that dare to sail on....no one knows what happened to them. Killed or lost at sea. If that is true, did the Hawaiians "document" that (in song or chants) of people who have sailed on and never heard from again?

Re: Ancient Hawaiians travel

I'm sure there's a good answer for this, but haven't done much Googling. The next time I run into someone from PVS/WWV I'll be sure to ask the question. Wikipedia says, for what it's worth:

"The Polynesians are then believed to have spread eastward from the Samoan Islands into the Marquesas, the Society Islands, the Hawaiian Islands and Easter Island; and south to New Zealand. The pattern of settlement also extended to the north of Samoa to the Tuvaluan atolls, with Tuvalu providing a stepping stone to migration into the Polynesian Outlier communities in Melanesia and Micronesia."

And some have theorized Polynesian contact with the West Coast of North America, but I think it's just a theory. But:

"Knowledge of the traditional Polynesian methods of navigation was largely lost after contact with and colonization by Europeans."

Comment

There are also traditions that relate to the Polynesians landing in the NW coast of USA, and intigrating with the Indian tribes.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        "Knowledge of the traditional Polynesian methods of navigation was largely lost after contact with and colonization by Europeans."
        What about before the Europeans arrived? Was it a decline? Was Hawaii so good and comfortable that trans-pacific sailing skills were not necessary?

If so, do you think the size of the Islands, offerings of the land, have an effect on loosing this skill?

Comment

Working...
        X