Lunchwagon 2.0: Favorite New Food Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunchwagon 2.0: Favorite New Food Trucks

Hard-working Honolulu residents have been powered by plate lunches from lunchwagons for decades. Not to mention shrimp trucks, which are a local icon. But surely, food trucks have been a part of life in neighborhoods everywhere. But in the last couple of years, following in the footsteps of overpriced fancy coffee and topping-obsessed frozen yogurt, there had been a "revival" of roving food vendors on the Mainland:
    Not surprisingly, Honolulu is following suit, seeing an explosion in fancy new food trucks that are appearing alongside (and sometimes to the chagrin of) the trusty plain unassuming plate lunch wagon. We recently had a thread on historic and treasured lunchwagons, sparked by this larger and more recent phenomenon, but I wanted to focus specifically on the newcomers in town.

You can find a guide to some of these new food trucks at StreetGrindz, and Nonstop Honolulu has been keeping tabs on new local food trucks since the beginning. Finally, as a personal plug, my cohost Burt and I devoted a show to "Lunchwagon 2.0" on Hawaii Public Radio last week, focusing on how social media tools are helping to drive business to these mobile eateries. (The MP3 will be available for download for the next couple of weeks.) Our guests were Poni from StreetGrindz and Wedge Lee of the OnoToGo food truck.

We'll always love the trusty, rusty "local" lunchwagon with its familiar plate lunches, but these new food trucks -- often featuring shiny new custom trucks with colorful paint jobs -- are trying different things, from classic Japanese to "fusion" tacos to trendy cupcakes (coming soon!). Any early favorites?

Re: Lunchwagon 2.0: Favorite New Food Trucks

"Camille's on Wheels is the newest, best food truck rolling in to Kailua soon! Fusion tacos with homemade ingredients (yes, even the tortillas!) Kalbi, puerco pibil, shoyu chicken and fish tacos-yummm! Salads and cupcakes too!"

This one's my fave and it isn't even rolling yet! She's tricking out a truck as I type. Watch for it in Kailua. Like it on Facebook. Camille and I have worked together for a couple of decades. She's a great lady. I'll even drive to Kailua for her food...esp. now that I have a hybrid!

Watch here for an update...

Comment

"Camille's on Wheels" had a dry run tonight and I was fortunate to be invited. I had a kalbi taco, a puerco pibil taco and black beans...all a party in the mouth! Chicken shoyu tacos, rice, quinoa and blue velvet cupcakes (yes, blue!) were also offered. It was a tough crowd, too! All film and advertising industry folks who demand great food! No one was disappointed.

Camille parks her truck for the first time, this Wednesday, on Kapaa Quarry Rd. You can follow her on Twitter altho' I don't know her Twitter name. I assume it's the business name. Can you tell I'm not a twit, errr twitterer, ummm tweeter...whatever?!
      Attached Files

Comment

I sense a lack of objectivity here, Sue.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

too bad (for me) that she's only in kailua; i'm way too lazy to drive there for some food
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
            too bad (for me) that she's only in kailua; i'm way too lazy to drive there for some food
            I hear ya! I think she's starting out in Kailua and may eventually branch out to other locations. I'm too lazy, too, but will head over the hill this week to support her.

Comment

I finally found some of these new food trucks everyone’s been talking about. I got my dinner last night at Eat the Street: Hawaii’s 1st Food Truck Rally, in an empty lot on Kapiolani Blvd. (across from Papa John’s and 24 Hour Fitness). Only thing is, when I arrived, the lot was far from empty.

Long lines ruled! It was insane! The crowd was definitely in the hundreds, I’m guessing maybe even over a thousand. I thought I came fairly early, but I guess I was wrong, and had to wait an hour and fifteen minutes in the line for the Soul Patrol buttermilk fried chicken. Several of the trucks ran out of food while I was waiting. I really wanted to try more of the unusual creations (i.e. new wave tacos), but the lines being what they were, I went for comfort instead ... southern comfort. And I was not disappointed. It was the best fried chicken I ever ate (which came with collard greens, slaw, cornbread, and vegetarian chili with black-eyed peas--all excellent). Judging from the crowd, there will be more Eat the Street events, only this time maybe with a bigger lot and more trucks.

Comment

Ok, Townies! Camille's on Wheels will be in town today (Fri.) and tomorrow (Sat.) in front of Pacific Home Furnishings, 420 Ward Ave. It's all yum!

Twitter: Camillesonwheel (yes, without the last "s"!)
                Facebook

Comment

I can only second Sue's rec. I have been to Camille's twice (and made a post about it 2 weeks ago here.) I cannot recommend it enough! Take the time to visit her in town today/tomorrow!

Comment

Think that since they've decided to make Eat the Street a monthly thing, the attendance has become less frenetic. Having more trucks and having the trucks streamline their menus has also helped.

I liked Inferno's. Been seeing them on Kapiolani lately.

Has anyone tried Gypsy Grill? Think it's a food truck at the corner of Ward and Kapiolani that is open daily from 10am to 2pm, serving Brazilian food.

Comment

Working...
                    X