Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Further information can be found at National Weather Service Forecast Office

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami warning for 02/26/10

I'm listening to the news now...a replay of the 10p news, I'd guess. Anyway, the evacuation sirens are expected around 6am for an approx. 11:20-11:30a, state-wide tsunami event expected to last 6-10 hours. Vertical evacuation for Waikiki is encouraged. So much for my trek to Makaha in the morning...just referred to as "an unnecessary risk"! I, with video camera in hand, will observe from my daughter's 36th floor Waikiki condo that faces the ocean. Stay safe everyone. Don't watch from the beach, please!

ETA: Its not a replay of the earlier news. KHNL is on live.
    Last edited by tutusue; February 27, 2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami warning for 02/26-27/10

Of course KGMB and KFVE (as well as KHNL) are showing live news reports. KHON and KITV is having a text crawl over their scheduled programming.

Oddly enough KIKU, KHET, and OC16 are not doing any text crawls.

Comment

Just came back from Don Quijote to stock up on bottled water and canned soda. It seems that everyone else who was there also was buying bottled water.

KHON now has Joe Moore on doing a live report with the help of someone else who's name I can't remember.

KFVE and KHNL are showing the Today show, KITV is showing paid programming and KGMB is showing CBS's Early show but all these stations are displaying text crawls.

And Joe Moore just mentioned that KHON is in or close to a tsunami flood zone.

So far KHON is reporting that Civil Defense will sound the sirens at 6am HST and the first wave is expected to hit Hilo around 11:19 am.

Comment

I'm sure you will all see it on the news this am but a tsunami warning has been issued for the islands.

more information here...
          http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/message....27.125041.txt

and here...
          http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/?region=2

chris

There's another (larger) thread on this topic under the "Around the Rim" section.

Comment

Hope everyone has water, rice, toilet paper and batteries! Stay safe!

Comment

The official website for the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is at http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/ . They posting regular updates and that's the site to follow during this situation.
              The earthquake in Chile was at the same location that caused the last tsunami that hit Hilo and killed so many people, according to KGMB.
              There are already looong lines at all the gas stations and stores are already crowded with folks getting emergency supplies. Many of the 'big box' stores opened around 4am.
              Good luck, everyone...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Predicted impact time for tsunami in Cabo, Mexico, came and went with no evidence of tsunami. Just another nice day in a paradise location.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

thinking of you all!
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Heh heh. I wonder if Mufi will rush back to Hawaii as fast as he rushed over to Hanauma Bay.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

My hearts go out to EVERYONE that the Tsunami Expected will not and hope not touch the Hawaiian Islands.... I have friends, families, my Sam Goody friends that I worked with, & classmates that I went to school with from Aiea High 1986 that still reside on the islands.....

MSNBC says that Ewa Beach is gonna get hit first vs. a News Link Clip of KGMB/KHNL says Hilo is gonna get hit first.....

Comment

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Y'all keep yer feet dry!!

*hoping it fizzles out and ends up just mildly rough seas for a while*

Comment

KHON, KITV, KHNL/KFVE/KGMB are now broadcasting live news of this event, as well as the Civil Defense sirens going on for the second time today.

Comment

I'm watching the news via live streaming here:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904
                            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

In looking over the Atlas of Hawaii, vol. 2, the 1960 Chile 9.5 quake produced "recorded heights of tsunami run-up in feet" in the range of 12 to 13 ft. on the se coast of the Big Island, to 16 at Kealakekua Bay and 7 at Hilo, in the 11 to 9 ft. range on southern Maui, 6 to 12 on southern O'ahu and up to 14 at southern Kaua'i. Since this 8.8 quake was smaller than the 1960 quake one maybe run-ups will be a bit lower. The truly large run-ups are from the 1946 Aleutian quake, up to 55 near Pololu on the Big Island and 53 near Hanalei Bay on Kaua'i.

Comment

Working...
                              X