City Council special election for District 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Council special election for District 5

Sunday's (7/19/09) Honolulu Star Bulletin had an article about the 14 candidates vying for the City Council District 5 special election which the ballots have been mailed out this past Friday. The deadline for the voting is August 7.

Re: City Council special election for District 5

The Honolulu Advertiser also interviewed the candidates, and asked different questions. Cross-check the candidates’ responses with the ones from SB. Interesting. Some really good choices out there besides the same tired career politicians.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I support Nathaniel Kinney for Honolulu City Council!
      and I approved this message.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I support Nathaniel Kinney for Honolulu City Council!
        and I approved this message.
        So now Nathaniel Kinney owes his mom, and he owes Auntie Lynn, too!

LOL... You think he'll report those IOU's on his Campaign Spending Report?
        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
          So now Nathaniel Kinney owes his mom, and he owes Auntie Lynn, too!
          Mr. Kinney does not owe me nothing. It's been a pleasure and an honor going door to door in beautiful Manoa passing out his brochures to his constituents. He's bright, humble and can represent his district the best. Everything about Nathaniel is REAL. Change? He is great for District 5.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            And the way politics at the county level works in this city, any of the examples of negative campaigning you cite would probably be political death (which in this state lasts maybe ten years, or twenty if you're Mufi) for the guilty party.
            Twenty years of political death for Mufi? Hardly! The "I like to smoke marijuana" smear ad that the Mufster used against Abercrombie ran just before the 1986 Democratic primary for Congress. Eight years later, Mufi was voted into the City Council. Eighteen years after that notorious ad, Mufi became the mayor.

It will be interesting to see how Mufi vs. Abercrombie II plays out. Seeing as how negative campaigning and ugly smear mongering seems to follow the Mufster when it comes to close elections (Jennifer Toma Bainum, anyone?) it will be a safe bet that both gubernatorial candidates will be heard saying "I approve this message" on their radio/TV ads. Duke Aiona will likely do so as well. And if you're automatically not going to vote for any candidate for using that disclaimer, then I guess you'll be voting for some candidate that is too poor to run any commercials.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              And if you're automatically not going to vote for any candidate for using that disclaimer, then I guess you'll be voting for some candidate that is too poor to run any commercials.
              Originally posted by scrivener
              That's usually what ends up happening.
              And on that note, I need some help choosing a candidate. All I know is I refuse to vote for Kobayashi, Matsunaga or James Quimby. Any passionate advocates for the remaining bunch?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                All I know is I refuse to vote for Kobayashi,
                This brings up an interesting question about Kobayashi's term limits for this seat. It was her original spot before she resigned to run for mayor. If by chance she actually wins the seat again does her term limit get reset?

Comment

yes it does get reset. she will be eligible for 2 complete terms - if she gets elected
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Seeing as how negative campaigning and ugly smear mongering seems to follow the Mufster when it comes to close elections (Jennifer Toma Bainum, anyone?) it will be a safe bet ...
                    So if I am interpreting this correctly, you have aligned yourself with the f**k Malia Zimmerman side of the Jennifer Toma-Bainum debate? That’s a heavy-handed condemnation this late in the game. Do you have facts that refute what you label “ugly smear mongering” or a link showing Mufi’s campaign was “negatively” involved in it? I’m just wondering because you generally seem to represent your posts as being “objective,” so I, along with many others I’m sure, would be curious if you have any evidence to support your characterization of the Toma-Bainum saga.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

So if I am interpreting this correctly,
                      No, you are not.

End of discussion.

Find yourself another strawman to crucify and beat up on.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I live in this district. I've been getting their political ad calls this week. One called around 10 last night. Isn't that a little late for one candidate's workers to call? I don't approve that call.
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 24, 2009, 08:23 PM. Reason: add

Comment

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=10870214

Btw, this is the results of the election.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=10870214

Btw, this is the results of the election.
                            Booooooooooooooooo! This winner takes all BS is a travesty of the electoral process. Shouldn’t the winner need to take at least 50 percent of the vote plus one? Matt deserves a runoff. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

For those interested, here are the complete results.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Booooooooooooooooo! This winner takes all BS is a travesty of the electoral process. Shouldn’t the winner need to take at least 50 percent of the vote plus one? Matt deserves a runoff. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....
                              Were this a regular election, that would be the standard thing to do - but as this was a special election, held only to complete the term of an office-holder who passed away, sorry, no. Others would likely complain about the additional time and expense of treating a special election as a multi-stage primary+general one.

And as a clarification to what anapuni808 noted earlier, Ms. Kobayashi is eligible to run again and serve two more complete terms in addition to serving out the remainder of Mr. Bainum's term, which ends in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X