Cheapest sources of food on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest sources of food on Oahu?

My first instinct says that Walmart/Sam's Club will be where I can get the cheapest food.

But I wonder... are there any little local shops that are also quite cheap?

I'm not really interested in places to eat out (unless you know of places that rival the prices of food-in-bulk... maybe a buffet or something?), but rather supermarkets.

Thanks!
    The visible universe is a sphere with a diameter of about 92 billion light-years.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
    - Bruce Lee

Re: Cheapest sources of food...?

Not the answer you're looking for, but I remember once seeing this skinny guy buy 6 containers of wheatgerm from Star Market. He was wearing a YMCA shirt.

This article on Intentional Communities was in the Honolulu Advertiser a few weeks back. I guess they pool their money, so they can buy food in bulk. I don't think we have any of these in Hawaii. Then again they probably don't advertise on TV or take out full page spreads.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Check out Chinatown. Also, our local farmers markets.

Comment

The Walmart here (at least the one in Honolulu) isn't like the Walmart on the mainland. No produce section or anything like that. I wouldn't buy groceries there simply because of the lack of selection. There's also Costco.

I used to go to Safeway supermarket when it was the closest to me. Of the three groceries nearby (Times, Foodland and Safeway) it seemed like Safeway had the best prices. There's also Star Markets, which I never went to because it wasn't nearby.

Since I moved to Waikiki, I shop at Don Quijote, which has good prices but they don't put out a weekly mailer like the other groceries do, and they're definitely skewed more toward Asian food.

Definitely recommend Chinatown for produce.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Yea I did notice that the Walmart food section was somewhat lacking in diversity.

I will check out these other supermarkets and the farmer's markets.

Thanks!
          The visible universe is a sphere with a diameter of about 92 billion light-years.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
          - Bruce Lee

Comment

Re: Cheapest sources of food?

I suspect the reason for the lack of diversity is because of Sam's Club.

Comment

I would opt for Chinatown, Sams, and Don Quixote(just for the experience, lol).
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

oh yah definitely take trip to Don Quixote. It's like an Asian Walmart. I usually have a good time when I go

Comment

Does that grocery outlet place still exist? I think it was on Dillingham by the
                  satellite city hall. Hamada store used to have good deals but they're gone.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    Does that grocery outlet place still exist? I think it was on Dillingham by the
                    satellite city hall. Hamada store used to have good deals but they're gone.
                    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...cery+outlet%22

Comment

Thanks - I don't frequent the area so I wouldn't have known, just had it in
                      the back of my mind. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                      X