Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    She definitely has to be the hawtest vixen to run for national office. It must be the hair. Not that I’ll let that affect my vote.
    Unfortunately, that's one thing the folks in the 49th state can hold over our collective heads.

Our guv'ner looks hotter than yours. Nyah, nyah!

Damn, who can elect that would hold a candle to Sarah Palin? Any nominations?

My pick from among the current crop of politicians: State Rep. Lynn Finnegan.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

For those who are curious about the ethics investigation into Sarah Palin, the following link contains a fairly detailed account. Note that the probe is not centered around determining whether the allegations against Palin's former brother-in-law are true or not. Rather, the investigation is looking into the charges that Palin and her staff might have improperly used the power of the governor's office to apply pressure on the state police chief to get her ex-brother-in-law fired. At the very least, it appears that Palin initially tried to cover up the number of times she and her staff made official inquiries into this matter. When faced with gathered evidence, she was forced to admit that her office made an inordinate number of phone calls concerning the ex-brother-in-law and the police chief. All of this undercuts against her image as a reformer, making it appear that Palin was using the power of her office to settle an old family score.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        LOL. I would love to hear you say that in person.
        Oh, I can have a truck driv, errr, I mean film crew's, mouth! I kinda have to make a point of thinking before I speak!
        Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Unfortunately, that's one thing the folks in the 49th state can hold over our collective heads.

Our guv'ner looks hotter than yours. Nyah, nyah!
        Palin's hot factor will, no doubt, get the Republican ticket some votes in spite of the glasses and business suits as I'm sure the Dems will get some votes based on Obama's looks. <looking at floor, shuffling feet! )

Comment

hi this is sansei and i agree that Palin would be a good Vp along with Mccain and i like these two.mccain would be the best Pres and Palin would be the best Vp and as i've shared,im voting for mccain and Palin.im praying they both will win and we'd have the best Pres and The best Vp so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Interesting. I have the opposite feeling. The more I think about Palin as a VP candidate, the more I like the thinking and the more I admire McCain's decision. First, he stole a LOT of attention away from Obama the day after the big acceptance speech. Early interviews with Palin have not demonstrated that she's any less qualified for her position than Obama is for his.

I agree with something someone in my Twitterstream said today: The Dems can't call Obama the fresh face of change because he's young and not a DC insider and then slam Palin for being the same thing.

One major thing I think the GOP did was make people sit up and pay attention. The shortlist of Lieberman, Romney, Ridge, and...whoever the fourth guy was may have been politically credible, but it was BORING and you know it. If Biden is going to be Obama's hatchet-man, I wonder how that's going to play if Palin is as gracious and steamy as she's been the few times I've seen her speak publicly.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Let's see...first wife - former beauty queen...

Second wife - former beauty queen...

Running mate - former beauty queen...

There's a common thread here, but I can't quite discern what it is....

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                If Biden is going to be Obama's hatchet-man, I wonder how that's going to play if Palin is as gracious and steamy as she's been the few times I've seen her speak publicly.
                “Steamy,” eh scriv? For the record, I ’aint disagreeing.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Interesting. I have the opposite feeling. The more I think about Palin as a VP candidate, the more I like the thinking and the more I admire McCain's decision. First, he stole a LOT of attention away from Obama the day after the big acceptance speech. Early interviews with Palin have not demonstrated that she's any less qualified for her position than Obama is for his.
                  Then I guess that takes experience off the debate table. Fine with me.

One major thing I think the GOP did was make people sit up and pay attention. The shortlist of Lieberman, Romney, Ridge, and...whoever the fourth guy was may have been politically credible, but it was BORING and you know it.
                  I guess when it came to shoring up the Christian/social conservative base, the choice of Sarah Palin has, for the time being, energized this constituency. Problem is, McCain also needs to reach out to moderate independents and the Reagan Democrats to win this election. And it doesn't appear that Palin will connect to these voters. Indeed, many of these voters will be uncomfortable with the idea of a candidate with zero foreign policy/national security experience being a heartbeat away from the Presidency. These are folks who would have been much more reassured with someone like Ridge or Lieberman in the veep slot, especially in a scenario where we are still fighting two wars (Iraq and Afghanistan) and possibly could face another (Iran). McCain's age and his past history of melanoma only accentuate these concerns.

If Biden is going to be Obama's hatchet-man, I wonder how that's going to play if Palin is as gracious and steamy as she's been the few times I've seen her speak publicly.
                  Maybe Biden's going to make Palin look like Dan Quayle in drag at the VP debate?

Comment

Well today, the Honolulu Advertiser moves us from choice verbage to choice adjectives and nouns.
                    Asked why McCain chose her, his campaign manager Rick Davis said, "Part of it is personal fit."
                    Wonder which “part” fit best? Personally, of course.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      The last time I was moved by an election was the year JFK ran. I was too young to vote.
                      Ah, Tutu, ya sweet young thang. I remember the Kennedy years well.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"
                      "Ich bin ein Berliner!"
                      Peace Corps
                      Vista
                      Bay of Pigs
                      Camelot
                      Nikita leering at Jackie's decolletage

And then that passion was taken away from us. Those years of youthful enthusiam, idealism, and innocence......never to be recaptured. Yep, I think it is fair to call me a cynic.

But back on topic. Who would you choose to be President - Biden or Palin?
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

First, he stole a LOT of attention away from Obama the day after the big acceptance speech.
                        What does that have to do with her appropriateness for the position?

Early interviews with Palin have not demonstrated that she's any less qualified for her position than Obama is for his.
                        Was she asked the same questions about national and international policies that Obama has been asked over the last several months?

The Dems can't call Obama the fresh face of change because he's young and not a DC insider and then slam Palin for being the same thing.
                        It takes more than being a "fresh face" to be qualified to lead this country. Palin has 12 years of elective service. 10 of those years were on the Wasilla (pop. 6500) City Council.

One major thing I think the GOP did was make people sit up and pay attention.
                        Not exactly. It was McCain who made the decision not the GOP. And yes people are sitting up and paying attention to McCain, especially the GOP who are looking at McCain/Palin as loose cannons.

Only time will tell. Steamy is not even skin deep. Gracious? Getting her former brother-in-law fired and then lying about it?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

McCain needs to hold on to Evangelical voters, many who are not happy that he is the Republican candidate. Palin can not only speak of being pro-life, but has a story to prove it. She also looks, speaks, and lives, for the most part, in a way that middle America can appreciate. There are a bunch of other pluses by having Palin as a runningmate--her gender takes some of the wind out of Obama's colored sails; she can "use" some of her political stories and accomplishments to come off as a maverick and as a true fiscal conservative. I'm cynical/wise enough to know that the truth is somewhere in between, but nevertheless, it will play out well among conservative voters who are considering voting for Barr or sitting out the vote in November.
                          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            A legitimate observation. And here's my response:

Sen. Obama has been in the national spotlight since his momentous victory in the Iowa Democratic Caucus in January. He's been in scores of presidential debates. And voters have had a chance to get to know his background and to be comfortable with him, despite his relatively brief political career.

Gov. Palin? She gets into the national spotlight,.... today. She has 65 days to tell the nation abour her story and to establish her credentials before general election day. That's not a whole lot of time to re-assure voters who are just getting to know her.

So that's the way I see it. Both may be relatively inexperienced. But since Obama has been in the limelight seven months longer than Palin during this presidential campaign, it works out in his favor.
                            I'm sorry, but how does "being in the spotlight" make him any more qualified than Gov. Palin? Because that should be what this is all about, shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                              I'm cynical/wise enough to know that the truth is somewhere in between, but nevertheless, it will play out well among conservative voters who are considering voting for Barr or sitting out the vote in November.
                              I think that is a good anaysis. It will be interesting to see how her personal ethics hold up under close scrutiny - which is sure to come - with regards to the firing scandal of the Public Safety Director and her former brother-in-law.

Unfortunately, we will hear more about the scandal than her views on the economy or the conflict in Iraq (she has been quoted as saying while Governor, "I really haven't thought about it (Iraq).")

Comment

U`ilani sums it up well. Gov. Palin represents a very large part of the Republican Party's base, a part that was largely dissatisfied with the choice of Sen. McCain as their presidential candidate.

Both parties have to reach beyond their traditional membership in order for one to gain the White House - but you gotta make sure you have that traditional membership solidly in your camp first. Sen. McCain's choice of Gov. Palin goes a long way toward that goal. Many of us may be saying "who?" right now, but she's got a couple months in the spotlight to answer that question.

Comment

Working...
                                X