Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    i've never understood our requirement that our president be as pure as driven snow. I figur i'm voting for/hiring him/her to do a certain job and if s/he gets it done without compromising certain parameters in pursuit of getting that job done. whether his/her family/friends suffer bcs of some personal wrong the person in that job does is not my concern.

the president is essentially CEO of the company that is the US. no other CEO potentially loses his/her job bcs s/he likes a little salad tossing, provided that professionally, s/he is getting the results we require.
    Actually, he's more than just a company's CEO. He represent the leader of the people, and his image reflect on us.

Besides, for one who despise adultery, would you let your daughter work in the White House with a sexually promiscuous President? Would you boast and take pride that the Prez dipped his pen inside your precious child?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

i've never understood our requirement that our president be as pure as driven snow. .... no other CEO potentially loses his/her job bcs s/he likes a little salad tossing, provided that professionally, s/he is getting the results we require.
      Okay, I think we’re getting a little distracted from the real issue here. It’s not so much that Edwards cheated on his wife. Many current and former politicians have been unfaithful to their spouse. It’s the fact that when confronted about it, Edwards lied, rather than come clean. I honestly wouldn’t judge a politician solely based on his or her sexual indiscretions, but I do expect him to be honest. My reasoning is simple. If a politician can lie so thoroughly and completely as opposed to simply “bending the truth,” what else is he or she lying about? Maybe important issues, like the reason you thought you were voting for him/her?

That is the point.

So why is Edwards finally being honest after repeatedly lying all these months? Because he was recently caught by tabloid photographers leaving the Beverly Hilton suite where Rielle Hunter, the woman he had an affair with, was staying. The evidence was so damning, he really had no other choice.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

On the other side of the argument, IF you are having an affair and keeping it from your loved one, would you be honest and confess when confronted the first time even if they don't have evidence to prove your dishonesty?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          On the other side of the argument, IF you are having an affair and keeping it from your loved one, would you be honest and confess when confronted the first time even if they don't have evidence to prove your dishonesty?
          The reason your question is irrelevant is because John Edwards DID tell his loved one and she confirmed that he was honest and confessed everything to her, way back in 2006, when the affair occurred. Thus, whether or not she had evidence, has no bearing on this case.

The question of honesty, is the relationship Edwards had with the American people. Being that I am not a politician, or any type of “public figure” for that matter, it would be difficult to hypothesize how Edwards’ dilemma could apply to me. I’m just an average Joe who occasionally engages in anonymous commentary on a message board.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Okay, I think we’re getting a little distracted from the real issue here. It’s not so much that Edwards cheated on his wife. Many current and former politicians have been unfaithful to their spouse. It’s the fact that when confronted about it, Edwards lied, rather than come clean.
            That just about sums it up. If it was the act of "fooling around" that was the problem, then you would have to disqualify John McCain, right here and now. And McCain admitted having affairs (not just one) while still married to his first wife. But he came clean with all this before his first presidential campaign in 2000. It did not come as a nasty "surprise" to everyone who supported him.

There's no doubt that the John Edwards story dominated the Friday news cycle, and its repercussions are being discussed over this weekend. Assuming there are no more major revelations about this scandal (like Edwards being the father of Rielle Hunter's child), this story will gradually run its course, serving as the sad tale of how John and Elizabeth Edwards' life in politics came to a sudden end.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The reason your question is irrelevant is because John Edwards DID tell his loved one and she confirmed that he was honest and confessed everything to her, way back in 2006, when the affair occurred. Thus, whether or not she had evidence, has no bearing on this case.
              It was way back in 2006? And she knew?

That's what the whole brouhaha is all about?

Get over it, people. Move along. Nothing to see. Edwards can still be Da Veep.

Comment

McCain evidently had an affair, too. He dumped his wife of many years and married the beer heiress. Gingrich is famous for serving his wife of many years with divorce papers as she was coming out of anesthesia for surgery. Funny the Edwards affair got so very much press attention and the McCain and Gingrich affairs so very little. Why that would be?

Comment

A company CEO reflects on his/her business as well.

As for the question re my hypothetically daughter, that would be a personal situation, not political. I view the whole presidential proclivities re affairs via a political lens and in that sense, it's irrelevant for me.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Assuming there are no more major revelations about this scandal (like Edwards being the father of Rielle Hunter's child), this story will gradually run its course, serving as the sad tale of how John and Elizabeth Edwards' life in politics came to a sudden end.
                    That revelation apparently will not be forthcoming. While John Edwards confidently asserts he is ready and willing to take a paternity test, Rielle Hunter apparently wants nothing to do with it, citing the privacy of her child. Personally, I think Hunter is making a mistake, because when her daughter is old enough, she’ll want to know why the box on her birth certificate that answers the “Who's your daddy?” question is blank.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

A company CEO reflects on his/her business as well.

As for the question re my hypothetically daughter, that would be a personal situation, not political. I view the whole presidential proclivities re affairs via a political lens and in that sense, it's irrelevant for me.
                      So, basically you'd still vote for the person, even though personally you want to cut his balls off.

Comment

Since we're speaking hypothetically, Random, I would say I'd raise any child of mine so that s/he would be inclined to avoid dalliances with those who are spoken for.

This would leave me, in this hypothetical situation, to vote for the candidate I choose and avoid using a bolo. *wink*
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That revelation apparently will not be forthcoming. While John Edwards confidently asserts he is ready and willing to take a paternity test, Rielle Hunter apparently wants nothing to do with it, citing the privacy of her child.
                          Well, in October of last year, Edwards also confidently asserted that the National Enquirer story was "false," "completely untrue," and "ridiculous." And as recently as July 23, he said, "The tabloid trash is full of lies."

So much for any value that John Edwards' "confident assertions" have.

Now if Edwards' public statement on Friday is 100% true and he did break off his affair with Hunter in 2006, the baby could not possibly be his. Problem is, how can anybody know for sure that his statement is 100% true, after he told a bald-faced lie about not having an affair in the first place? How can anybody take him at his word at this point?

This is the reason why John Edwards future in politics is just about ruined. Forget about being the veep. Forget about any cabinet position in an Obama administration. His trustworthiness is a big fat ZERO right now.

I don't know what Edwards and Hunter have in mind, but unless they go through a paternity test, a dark cloud of doubt will forever hang over the head of the former North Carolina senator.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Actually, baby could be his if she er bagged the goods, froze em and applied with a turkey baster. There's been lawsuit (names escape me at the moment) where a man swore his affair consisted only of illicit acts which cannot result in a child and it turned out the woman spat out the evidence for later, self-inflicted insemination. Court found man liable for child support. *shrug*

Comment

The real trip is that he and his wife (if indeed she knew as he says) kept their knowing mouths shut all along as he ran for various high office since '06. Just what was running thru their heads when they knew the facts would come up, and probably at a seriously bad time and been quite disruptive while running for office or in.
                              Sure glad it came out when he wasn't a factor in anything important.
                              What a jerk.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I see today that Sen. Obama is encouraging supporters to sign up for e-mail and text messages from the campaign, claiming that they will get a notice about his VP choice "the moment" he makes his decision.

Source

Comment

Working...
                                X