Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween

Anyone planning on doing anything for Halloween? It seems to me that people just don't dress up as much as they used to when I was a keiki. My kids are still trying to figure out what they want to dress as, can't make up their minds. If you have keiki, what are they dreaming of being this year?

Anyone here still dressing up for Halloween though they all grown up now? I'm "planning" on dressing up and going to a costume party if things work out with childcare (kids going trick or treating with gma and cousins). We are going to finally have one of those husband and wife nights out (what is that?!) and hopefully it's a fun one.

Anyway, I was just curious about other people on HT's plans.

My idea for myself was to dress up like Kelly Hu in The Scorpian King but some of the stuff to make the outfit is really hard to find. I found a head piece but it's not quite the same. I can find the gold dress and similar jewelry but the darng head piece thing is giving me issues. Would this look too off with the rest of the costume?

Do you think people would even know who I dressed as? I really would like to find something with a hanging piece of jewelry. Urgh. Maybe Ebay would have something, I should go look.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Re: Halloween

Thanks for shooting me back into reality. I almost forgot that my bday starts the holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving, then xmas. Now I have to start repaying my college loans in January! *runs around screaming*

But I can do a pretty good Best Buy employee impersonation. I can just wear a blue shirt and khakis pants, and just stand around.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Kids these days can be pretty lazy. The teenagers that trick-or-treat for kicks, with no costumes at all? I wish I could turn the hose on 'em.

My daughter's at that age where thinking of costumes can consume an entire day. She changes her mind weekly as to what she'd like to go as. Her brothers, so far, can take it or leave it... our four year old only emphatic that he not wear anything on his head. For costumes, we've done everything from "make the whole deal from scratch" to "grabbing what's on the rack at Costco." The former feels better, but the latter sure is easier!

My wife and I frequently daydream about how we'd dress up as a couple... a Rocky Horror or LOST theme of some sort. But whenever Halloween rolls around, it's basically surviving the trip 'round the block and passing out soon after untangling the kids from their outfits and separating them from their loot.

LeiKaina, I think the head piece is fine, especially if coupled with other elements of the Scorpion King look. I'm only thinking it might be a little... chilly!

Comment

It doesn't get too cold here. I was thinking about a slinky one piece gold dress with the same "look" instead for a bit but I'm not sure it would be the same, you know? I have my little heart set on this costume but we'll see. If we don't get to go out I'll have to come up with a more appropriate outfit to take my kids trick or treating in.

Last year I wanted my husband and I to dress as Zorro and Elena, thought it would be cute to take the kids trick or treating like that. But my husband REFUSED and then some. He said no one wanted to see a fat, white, Zorro. I did dress as Elena, just not as done up as I would have been if he had agreed to dress with. You know what's sad is that I took one picture of my hair and makeup before I left and then I spent the rest of my night taking pictures of my keiki. Typical parent.

And I barely saw a teenager dressed in costume last year. All I saw were teens in packs of about 10 with backpacks on going house to house for the candy. Not only does it take the fun out of the night but it's just plain rude to the people giving out candy.

Comment

All my boys collaborate on ideas for costumes then I make them.
          Last year they were a Skunk...Panda Bear and Bug Catcher. Mine are 3,4 and 11.
          My husband and I were Strawberry Shortcake and Purple Pieman.

This year they voted to be a family of clowns..so I have my work cut out for me I better get to making next week!

The year before I went with my kids to take them trick or treating I was a big plate of spaghetti and my husband was a huge fork....No one knew who I was! They said a Pizza or other silly things. It was terribly annoying the 35th time people asking me what I was!

But 1/2 the time here it is 30 degrees on Halloween Eve!
          Attached Files
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

CUTE!!!!! And a very fitting costume for you and your pink hair. I love it. I see you are blessed with testosterone in your household as well! My boys are 7, 4 and 3 months (13 weeks).

Comment

Halloween Rules !!

My wife and I won the contests in Kailua-Kona every year for 3 straight years. $1000 bucks a night, more or less. We were a fishin boat & lure, a Hula Lamp in the Den, and a man in a box being carried by an 8 foot Frankenstein.

We make a Haunted House at my house now. And if your kid shows up without a costume, they don't get any candy. I know it's harsh, but a bandana around your head just is not enough. We also serve hot dogs & smoky punch, and there's the optional "spike" for the adults.

Last year we had about 150-200 kids go through.

This year we have not thought of costumes yet. I'm leaning toward Colonel Potts from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

<<in a thick Bri'ish ak'cent

"I'm off to see the Maheraja !" as he steps into the outhouse.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The last Halloween "party" I went to was about three years ago at a private local club. My friends were "gigging" that night and I was one of their on-stage "guest" performers. I just wore regular clothes (jeans, polo shirt) and carried my vintage electric guitar. When asked by some of the guests, I said I was there "impersonating a musician!"

There's another Halloween party this year, so I may end up doing pretty much the same. Except that since I'll be doing "surf" music, I may elect for board shorts, beach sandals, a tank top, and a straw hat ........
                Last edited by oceanpacific; September 18, 2006, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                  CUTE!!!!! And a very fitting costume for you and your pink hair. I love it. I see you are blessed with testosterone in your household as well! My boys are 7, 4 and 3 months (13 weeks).
                  No shortage of test. here! But it's good to be queen! I was looking at the costume you were trying for...how I would love for warm enough weather for something that fun! I would say people would know who you were right away...but on Halloween I think no costume is safe.

I have to say it has been fun dressing up and taking the boys trick or treating. We used to just go along but it has been much more fun dressing the part. The kids love it and not many parents do it anymore. People are shocked to see us.

When we were at the mall last year the kids mistook me for a shopkeeper and asked for my candy! I heard MANY mom's say..."she is a mommy hunny see she has her kids with her"

Comment

I want to be a full-size live version of Menehune Man!

I'll make a "Feather Cape" by cutting and painting a sheet, but how do I make a Mahiole? You know, the helmet with a reverse sharks fin shape up top. I was thinking maybe aluminun foil also painted the same yellow and red. Any other ideas? Mahalos.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

What is that stiff cut-able foam?
                      A friend used that to make popeye arms and muscles last year it worked well. I know you can shape it into anything and and it stays stiff. Its cheap at craft stores too. You can paint it even seal it!. He painted tattoos on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        The teenagers that trick-or-treat for kicks, with no costumes at all? I wish I could turn the hose on 'em.
                        God how I'd LOVE to see that! That would be hilarious!

A couple of years back in Waikiki, I'd estimate about 20% people in costume, and the other 80% there as spectators. How lame.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          Halloween Rules !!

My wife and I won the contests in Kailua-Kona every year for 3 straight years. $1000 bucks a night, more or less. We were a fishin boat & lure, a Hula Lamp in the Den, and a man in a box being carried by an 8 foot Frankenstein.

We make a Haunted House at my house now. And if your kid shows up without a costume, they don't get any candy. I know it's harsh, but a bandana around your head just is not enough. We also serve hot dogs & smoky punch, and there's the optional "spike" for the adults.

Last year we had about 150-200 kids go through.

This year we have not thought of costumes yet. I'm leaning toward Colonel Potts from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

<<in a thick Bri'ish ak'cent

"I'm off to see the Maheraja !" as he steps into the outhouse.

One year back in the 80's in Waikiki I saw this couple in costumes. She was an electric wall outlet and he was an electric plug. He was chasing her down Kalakaua trying to "plug in"
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A few months ago I drafted this WAR OF THE WORLDS Tripod concept, which I'm seriously considering for Halloween in Waikiki this year...

I thought of the idea after watching a Japanese Bunraku puppet performance, where the puppet masters dress in black to operate the articulated doll functions. Really neat.

The tripod head would sit on my head on a cradle, while my two arms would operated the front two legs, while the third leg (not MY third leg.. ha ha!) would be attached to one of my legs at the calf area.

Of course in the spirit of my past Kikaida effort, the Tripod head be adorned with lots of lighting effects and alien audio sounds! Cool.

I seriously think this could be a crowd pleaser. The only concern would be having such a large piece while walking in a crowd. That can be a challenge.

And eh, nobody bettah steal my idea! Or we going have War of the Worlds in Waikiki!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Antonio last year as Tigger!

As for me...I think I'll be dressing as up as "Da Dog!"

Only easy. Mace Can, Blonde Wig (Draid Locks), Black leather pants and vest and lots of chains. I get um. I go borrow from the Bruddah's in MWH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 18, 2006, 09:09 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X