Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    PS - Hey Auntie!! I'll be in the area, and we're stopping by for a hug tonight!! Are you allowed to hug civillians while on duty?
    Shua! I'm looking forward to hugging plenny celebrants tonight.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ban the 5am marathon fireworks!

I've long ago outgrown the joy of bang boom pow, especially when done outside of the legal parameters. Now it's merely a bother to those of us who don't participate, and a real danger to life/limb/lungs/critters/property. The cons outweigh the few, if any, pros.
      Add to that the multi-facited legal ramifications, like mentioned by Helen, and the sensible decision is obvious.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I grew up in Hawaii a 2nd-generation Japanese-American, so I played with a LOT of fireworks growing up. I'd lean towards a ban only because fireworks aren't as much fun to me anymore, and I'd rather have the peace and quiet.

Sure, the kids nowadays won't get to enjoy the same childhood I did growing up, but hell, I never had a Playstation 3.

Comment

It is now 00.25 here in England and the fireworks are still going off especially the rockets. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Comment

Happy New Year Barry!!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

The smoke... cough, hack... the smoke...
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Right at this moment, my idiot neighbors, one of whom is a policeman, are busy blasting illegal aerials.

Maybe there should be a third category. OK, except for banning neighborhood idiots.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Voted to ban because I'm older now.

Comment

I voted to ban them. In addition to the already mentioned problems with noise, smoke, fire hazards and freaked out animals there is a sea of red paper in our neighborhood right now that inconsiderate neighbors didn't bother to clean up. Now the rain is coming down and washing it all into storm drains and I am assuming eventually to the ocean/reefs.

Comment

To paraphrase Ron "Tater Salad" White: "You can't (ban) stupid."

Comment

Happy New Year to all!!!

My opinion on fireworks would be a pragmatic one. Banning won't stop it. I say designate areas to do it and ban everywhere else. Making it legal will help snuff the illegal trade yet containing it in controlled areas will help with the smoke, noise, and fire dangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          To paraphrase Ron "Tater Salad" White: "You can't (ban) stupid."
                          If you ban stupid, they'll just find another way around it and get worse.

Well, they aren't evolving out of the gene pool anytime soon. Is this where the human race takes those proverbial 2 steps back? I'm tending to think so after watching our neighbors, last night, then watching the fire department put out a dumpster fire behind Foodland.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                            Voted to ban because I'm an old fart now.
                            FIXED

Comment

I am not getting off the subject but digressing somewhat.

On the river Mersey we have pontoons and there, professionals will set of fireworks which can be seen for 20 miles.

Now I know that you don't have Bonfire/ Guy Fawlkes night on November 5th but that is a big thing here ,,,,, lots of firework displays. People throwing spuds into bonfires and then eating them with some salt and butter, (Charcoal all around their faces. lol)

I used to love to go to the beach at the end of Lewars every (Aloha Friday).

Sit and chat and watch the firework display. Fireworks can bring joy to many people but they Must be set off by folks who know what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                By reading over some HT'ers responses to this, it seems that laws can't be enforced here in Hawaii... so why try?
                                Did I get that right? Huh?
                                Close. I'd say that passing a law isn't going to be the answer. Stepped up enforcement is likely to lead to more arrests, but I doubt if it's going to put that much of a dent in things.

The real answer is to change people's attitude toward fireworks. That's not easy, but it's been done. Cigarette smoking and Drunk Driving is a couple of places that's been done. Yes, there were laws involved, but they reflected the change in public opinion rather then try to impose it on them.

Laws in this country really only work to keep a few black sheep in line, and isn't all that effective in changing the actions of the masses.

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                Right at this moment, my idiot neighbors, one of whom is a policeman, are busy blasting illegal aerials.
                                Ohhhh, for a video camera - set up on someone else's yard. And then turn that in to the Police Commission. It still may not be a bad idea to inform them. It may not result in any action due to lack of evidence, but it might put him on notice that he's being watched.

Comment

Working...
                                X