Worst dishes to bring to the Thanksgiving Potluck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst dishes to bring to the Thanksgiving Potluck

Do you do your Thanksgiving celebration "potluck" style? What are some of the dishes and recipes that you hate to see at a potluck, the worst? No need to even bother with "bag of potato chips" or "chip and dip" or other snack foods. I mean, what dishes for the main meal are just a total turn off for a Thanksgiving dinner? I'll start with a few UNfavorites to see at a potluck:

1) Green bean casserole with mystery white sauce and overcooked bacon chunks. Nothing can make that recipe tasty, unless it might be serving a bottle of wine to each dinner guest beforehand.
    2) Spam musubi - maybe OK for the youngster's baseball game treat, but please leave all forms of spam unopened in the can when it comes to feeding adults.
    3) KFC chicken bucket - sorry, this is a "I'm too lazy" approach at potlucking.
    4) Boiled baby carrots - can we spell "blah"?
    5) Anything with jello - 'Nuff said.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Worst dishes to bring to the Thanksgiving Potluck

Fruitcake from Christmas.

Comment

fried chicken or chili

don't CARE if it's Zippy's..it's just not traditional...!

Comment

Balut.

Fried Lard.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

For the most part, both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are planned by the whole family a week or two in advance. No surprises. All members, both men and women adults, volunteer for a particular dish(s) that is assembled and cooked at our fale on the day of the event. It is always happy confusion. Even the pre-planning becomes part of the event and expands the holiday. That is our family tradition. One of our daughters is here today (she took a vacation day from work) and over the weekend to be part of the pre-planning.

Coincidentally, we talked about green bean casserole last night. It is a family tradition and a favorite (the way we make it with cream sauce and french fried onions). The other daughter will be bringing that. We haven't had jello salad for several years now, but this thread motivates me to volunteer to make our family recipe which includes whipped jello with cream cheese and cranberries and fresh local strawberries and fresh pineapple. I have requested one of my favorites - either broccoli salad with raisins, fried bacon, and red onion with rice vinegar/mayo dressing or cabbage salad with crisp ramen noodles, toasted almonds and sesame seeds, and green onion with soy sauce dressing. Uaifi says that she will make one or the other if not both. Brussel sprouts (now available fresh locally on the stalk at Trader Joes) fixed one way or another are always a family favorite. The meat portion of the meal will be very light, both ham and roasted chicken, since most of the family is either vegetarian or close to it. Dessert will be a pumpkin dessert of some kind as well as the here daughter specialty, passed down through generations, German steamed persimmon pudding with whipped cream on top. In fact, a trip to the local persimmon farm is on the agenda today to pick fresh persimmons. Kay den, I already feel like I need to loosen matapule belt a notch or two! .

We will probably skip the crowds on Black Friday and instead drive up into the mountains for apple tasting and get fresh apples from the apple farms and maybe drive up a little higher in search of a little snow in the higher elevations, but certainly we will take the two granddogs (each daughter has a good sized dog) to the dog park to let off some steam.

Ahhhhh, the holidays, can't wait for them to come, can't wait for them to be over!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

At least liver tastes okay when put in the stuffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              At least liver tastes okay when put in the stuffing.
              Oh that reminds me, I"ll add to my list: don't take to a Potluck the stuffing/dressing that has in it chopped up turkey guts. Yuck. I don't eat guts in any form, even well hidden at Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                1) Green bean casserole with mystery white sauce and overcooked bacon chunks. Nothing can make that recipe tasty, unless ...
                Unless the mystery white sauce is canned condensed cream of mushroom soup, well salted, and a can of congealed french fried onions. Then, Yum Yum.
                Greg

Comment

... don't take to a Potluck the stuffing/dressing that has in it chopped up turkey guts. Yuck. I don't eat guts in any form, even well hidden at Thanksgiving.
                  If you mean the intestines, well, I haven't tried that. But if you mean the parts in the cute little paper bag -- neck, heart, liver, gizzard -- you've got to have those, for real dressing. They're delicious!
                  Greg

Comment

I don't eat guts in any form, even well hidden at Thanksgiving.
                    So you don't eat hamburger, hot dogs, sausage of any kind, sushi, shrimp, crab, octopus, squid, and a number of other common foods?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                      If you mean the intestines, well, I haven't tried that.
                      Sure you have, any time you eat a sausage or a hot dog or hamburger!

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        Unless the mystery white sauce is canned condensed cream of mushroom soup, well salted, and a can of congealed french fried onions. Then, Yum Yum.
                        We make ours with FRESH green beans (no canned stuff), sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and fresh french fired onions in canola oil (the recipe doesn't need salt so real flavors come through). It is second and third helping ono! We never have leftovers of that dish. I think I can make Amati a believer! Amati, you in California, No?

My father in law (RIP) used to grow green beans commercially. Eating fresh picked green beans is like a gastronomical acid trip! You spoiled for life!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Sure you have, any time you eat a sausage or a hot dog or hamburger!
                          I meant that I haven't tried turkey intestines. Out of curiosity, I looked on the web for "turkey chitlins", but I could only find joking references.
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            So you don't eat hamburger, hot dogs, sausage of any kind, sushi, shrimp, crab, octopus, squid, and a number of other common foods?
                            I have not eaten any Mystery Meat in about three decades. That would include no hamburger meat, hot dogs, sausage, spam, canned corned beef, etc. Actually, I don't eat red meat or pork, but if I did, it would not be Mystery Meat, nor the ears, lips, or snouts of anything. I don't eat boiled cow bones or skin either, in other words, no gelatin.
                            Last edited by Amati; November 19, 2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

1) Green bean casserole with mystery white sauce and overcooked bacon chunks.
                              http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/ho...194400089.html

No bring um.

Comment

Working...
                              X