Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Ali`i

Default Driving test BS

Recently got my driver's permit and while taking the written there was a question about what you do when there's a sign designating lowering your speed to 35 mph and when you do it.
Asking anyone not familiar with what the rules book states will use common sense and say you slow down immediately, and that's what I marked. WRONG! You don't have to do anything until you see the NEXT sign. Like we know there even is a next sign? Like a cop will say it's OK to ignore the sign and stay at a higher speed? Of course not, even the security HPD officer there said no. However, once he knew what my full context of the question was he immediately went into defense mode and explained that they are given (infinitely) broad discretion. How convenient, they can address the law any way they choose, so no matter what... you lose!
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Driving test BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Asking anyone not familiar with what the rules book
You are taking a drivers test and you are not familiar with the rules book???????????????

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Ali`i

You got it!
And I've got my permit, so looooooooooook out Honolulians!
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Kumu

I recall some questions like that from my tests. A good test taker, when he runs up against an unobvious question, will assume that the point of the test is fail people who are most likely to cause accidents through ignorance, and will make a choice that the test taker thinks would be least likely to cause an accident. That approach won't work for tricky questions where the correct answer is to do something legal, yet more likely to cause an accident. How to successfully skirt the law.

Apparently, for some questions, the point is not to eliminate dangerous drivers, but to fail some people who take the test.

I also recall that some questions tested English comprehension rather than driving knowledge. I could figure them out, but I thought that someone whose English was a little shaky would not have been able to parse the questions.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I recall some questions like that from my tests.
I havn't seen any that fail like this one, even if in the book. It should be removed, but the only recourse was for me, one guy, to go to the safety dept. and get it changed. Meanwhile, BS rules. Oh well, first world problems... la di da.
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Ali`i

So the first sign is like the yellow light before the red?
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Ali`i

The signs read something like, "Slow to 35 MPH Ahead" or "Reduce Speed to 35 MPH Ahead", and they are warning signs. I think it's reasonably clear that the next regulatory sign will designate where the new speed limit takes effect, since a change in speed limit always takes effect at the sign designating the speed limit (not 'when you see it', but when you reach it). Warning signs are just warnings with no technical repercussions. It's pretty sad if you don't know the particular characteristics of the various sign categories.

Last edited by salmoned; July 8th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
The signs read something like, "Slow to 35 MPH Ahead" or "Reduce Speed to 35 MPH Ahead", and they are warning signs. I think it's reasonably clear that the next regulatory sign will designate where the new speed limit takes effect, since a change in speed limit always takes effect at the sign designating the speed limit (not 'when you see it', but when you reach it). Warning signs are just warnings with no technical repercussions. It's pretty sad if you don't know the particular characteristics of the various sign categories.
The test sez the sign sez - slow to 35mph - period.
The cop said it's not a warning, it's ticket time.
The repercussions are in the wallet and time wasted, but at least it was a fun time...
Sad it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne View Post
So the first sign is like the yellow light before the red?
Even less, at least you know what's up with the light and no broad discretion is needed.