Island Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island Fever

Ugh. I think I've got a bad case of island fever lately. How do mainland transplants deal with this? Its too cold and I'm in school, so I can't just go for a mainland vacation. I'm freaking out, and it sucks, and it seems like there's nothing I can do to stop it. I haven't had a full night's sleep in weeks, because I wake up every night and dwell on my 'fever' for hours. It is the absolute worst! Help!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Island Fever

So are you having problems not seeing any place new? Lack of choices? Put off by this dismal weather we had the last couple of days?

Comment

I don't know what my problem is, exactly. I've been doing lots of cool sightseeing (thanks, Surlygirly!) and surfing (in a wetsuit! Yick!!). I can't find a decent paying part time job at all, and I've already all but given up on trying to find a job in my field - its not happening. School - I love it, but I feel 'out of the groove' this semester, for lack of better terminology. I miss Hollywood a little too much lately, considering that I know that the weather and work prospects suck there right now too. My bf is always working or sleeping it seems, and while I'm looking forward to him having President's Day off, I can't help but feel a little slighted because he's never home any weekday ever, anymore.

Really, I can't figure out what my problem is...I'm just suddenly stricken with 'rock fever' lately, and it is AWFUL!!! and depressing, and I'm developing serious anxiety over it, and I just don't know what to do!
      Last edited by turtlegirl; January 28, 2009, 10:13 AM. Reason: clarity
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        I don't know what my problem is, exactly. I've been doing lots of cool sightseeing (thanks, Surlygirly!) and surfing (in a wetsuit! Yick!!). I can't find a decent paying part time job at all, and I've already all but given up on trying to find a job in my field - its not happening. School - I love it, but I feel 'out of the groove' this semester, for lack of better terminology. I miss Hollywood a little too much lately, considering that I know that the weather and work prospects suck there right now too. My bf is always working or sleeping it seems, and while I'm looking forward to him having President's Day off, I can't help but feel a little slighted because he's never home any weekday ever, anymore.

Really, I can't figure out what my problem is...I'm just suddenly stricken with 'rock fever' lately, and it is AWFUL!!! and depressing, and I'm developing serious anxiety over it, and I just don't know what to do!
        sounds like you're a little depressed--not clinically or anything, but you're having a spasm in life where nothing seems all that great. when this happens to me, i do a count of everything i am grateful for. it helps to realize that the life i have is a really good one when compared to some other people, whether they live in less fortunate situations or are sick in a hospital or grieving the loss of a loved one or have lost their fortune to someone who ripped them off. i don't know if this will work for you, but literally counting my blessings normally helps when i'm in the kind of funk you describe. and from your posts on HT, you have a really rockin' life, girl!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I take it the school you are currently going to doesn't have any on-campus part time jobs related to your field?

Does the school have a career/job placement office as part of it's student services?

Comment

Just a thought, TG...
            I haven't searched the HT archives but I'm remembering last year you went thru something similar. I can't remember whether or not that episode coincided with a friend moving to the mainland. Am I recalling correctly that, at another point, you also posted about your disappointment over befriending someone only to have them leave? Or am I thinking of another HTer? I do remember the 'friend' you were more than happy to drive to the airport!

Anyway, you've mentioned on a few occasions recently, and prior to this thread, that you and Surlygirly have hung out together which, I assume, means you've become friends! BTW, I think it's so cool that both of you moved to Hawaii within months of each other, met on HT and became buds IRL!

So...I'd like to offer you an option to your diagnosis of Island Fever!

If SG hasn't moved back to the mainland yet, she's scheduled to soon. Might you be going thru a friend withdrawal?! Prior to your move, you befriended HT quickly. You participated in the first picnic after your move. You quickly became real life acquaintances with other HT members. IOW...it appears you are someone who places great value on being surrounded by good friends and enjoys the give and take of friendships. And now one friend, Surlygirly, whom you've spent some good times with, needs to prematurely move back to the mainland.

I agree with Cyn that you could be going thru a temporary depression, regardless of the cause. But I'm wondering if the cause might be the early, physical loss of a friendship; one that provided you with not only the companionship of someone you enjoy, but also fun times spent that filled the lack-of-work void.

The industry of your chosen vocation sucks right now. Job possibilities, in general, suck right now...esp. decent paying ones! The economy, alone, is cause for much depression.

Cyn had a good suggestion to count your blessings...literally. Write 'em down! Buy yourself a pretty journal! Then, before you go to bed or first thing the next morning, add 5 new things each day for which you're grateful...things that actually happened that day...no matter how big or small. Another suggestion is to do some volunteer work. Helping with organizations that help others has a funny way of making us see the forest thru the trees, so to speak. Being 'of service' is a wonderful antidepressant.

Anyway...as I mentioned, this observation is just another possibility. It's free advice so you're probably getting what you didn't pay for! In the meantime, hang in there. I admire your honesty and willingness to bare your soul. If your feelings continue then it's probably time to bare your soul to a qualified therapist. But know HT will be here to support you.

Comment

Hi TG,

I hope this passes for you soon. I remember your last thread about Rock Fever and remember seeing a lot of myself in that (more in a bit). I hope you don't mind me butting in here, being new, but I've had ample experience with being depressed and feeling isolated...so here goes...

The bit in your post that makes me think you are going through something significant is your reported loss of sleep, which could be a clue you need some help. If you can find a reason that you are sad, you can change it, talk about it, whatever you need to do - even if it is just to remind yourself that this too shall pass. If you really can't find a reason, that may be worthy of exploration or a visit to your doctor. Several years ago I experienced several weeks of severe depression. My life at the time was great - good job, good money, wonderful home, etc. - but I felt awful. I knew there was a problem when even seeing a kitten didn't make me happy. I mean, come on, kittens! Anyway, long story short, I was diagnosed with a serotonin deficiency which responded well to medication.

As for the rock fever, i have never lived in Hawaii, but have a similar experience. For the past two years I have been in Salt lake City, which is an island of civilization in the middle of....nothing! It is dry land but it feels like an ocean, with family and loved ones thousands of miles away, strange culture, strange climate, etc. I still feel homesick sometimes, although the first six months were particularly awful. What works for me is to make plans for the future: do something productive, plan a vacation (even if it will be months and months before I can go), anything take my mind off the present and give me something to look forward to. The homesickness doesn't go away, but it doesn't seem so important, either. Plenty of exercise and sunshine help too, although it sounds like you get that already! If you find you can't find joy in anything, please see your doctor!

If you are just lying in bed thinking unhappy thoughts, you aren't going to sleep anyway; if you get up and do something quiet and distracting (read, homework, write email, but not TV) you might find yourself feeling sleepy before you know it. It also helps not to do anything (like reading) in the bedroom but sleep and...you know...the other thing you do in the bedroom

If it is the mainland you are missing, maybe you could call someone you still know back there. You seem like the kind of person who makes strong connections wherever you go...I bet tapping into those bonds would help a little.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I have felt everything you are feeling, and for me, it always seems to get better eventually. I hope you can use something I have said here to help yourself feel better!

carolyn

Comment

I don't know as I've ever heard Island/Rock Fever defined. There was a phase in my life when I did have some. For me it was mostly a limitation of specialty stores, job opportunities, etc. I think it cured itself when I did travel and decided that I had it pretty good here.

But I can see for some people that it's a case of claustrophobia - the inability to see how far they could run on a weekend on just a few tanks of gas. Try that here and you end up doing laps.

Comment

As I see it, the vast majority of us are on islands, either surrounded by desert, ocean, or circumstance. How many of us on the mainland travel more than 200 miles from their home, and how often?

I for one am feeling mainland fever. Some dislike being on such a small space, but now I am tired of everywhere I enjoy going being hours away. I miss living in Hawaii, and I wish I had taken more opportunities to participate in different activities and met as many different people as I could. I didn't leave simply because of island fever, but it wasn't a stranger to me. People move for a variety of reasons, sometimes with little advance warning (SG, for example).

As I am an ex-pat of sorts, I hope you enjoy everything your home has to offer, and that you realize what you need. Try everything, including the unlikely. Feelings can change quickly.
                  Last edited by Vanguard; January 30, 2009, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    As I see it, the vast majority of us are on islands, either surrounded by desert, ocean, or circumstance. How many of us on the mainland travel more than 200 miles from their home, and how often?[...]
                    So true. Many of us tend to create our own, personal islands no matter where we live!

Comment

It seems like a lot of mainland transplants go through this. Everything is terrific at first because they are living in "paradise". But you can only lie on the beach and hike to waterfalls so many times before the novelty wears off. Then the rose-colored glasses come off and the reality of everyday mundane life sets in. I've seen this cycle with coworkers who usually last about 2 years before the "island fever" sets in and they end up moving back home.

It's hard to be thousands of miles away from family and friends. I think the people who deal with it best are the ones who find surrogate families through involvement with social groups (churches, canoe clubs, softball leagues, hula halau, etc.).

Comment

"But I can see for some people that it's a case of claustrophobia - the inability to see how far they could run on a weekend on just a few tanks of gas. Try that here and you end up doing laps."

But most of us that live here (on any of the Hawaiian Islands) don't truly go everywhere within reach.
                        So, if it's feeling claustrophobic, it's self imposed. IMO
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I lived in Orange County for a few years and felt really closed in by the mountains - especially in the winter when they were covered with snow. Like I was being smothered. I've never felt claustrophobic here because I can look out at the water and see only endless open space. and I AM claustrophobic - can't stand elevators!

We have so many folks who come on this list and ask questions about moving here. and always someone will tell that person what living here is REALLY like. But, it seems that they never believe us. I'm truly sorry that folks seem to get what they call "island fever" but it's very normal & expected. You're all of a sudden away from everything familiar and asked to adapt to a very different culture and lifestyle. You can choose to adapt or you can choose to be unhappy. I would hope that the choice would be to adapt - there is so much here to enjoy, to enrich a persons life. Making friends is a big thing, especially if you are a very "social" type of person. But, for us local folks - it takes a while to be friends with a newbie - not because they aren't worthy of being friends, but because we don't want to invest the energy to get close to someone who is just going to leave. When I was younger, I refused to date military men for that very reason - they were going to leave. Even after all these years, I'm very cautious about making friends so I stick pretty close to my friends in the local community.

If a person makes an effort to connect to the local community, it is a lot easier to avoid so-called "island fever". It's not easy but the rewards are many. A newcomer can have a very happy life here if they are willing to adapt and remember that they are living in a different culture than what they left behind. It's hard being without family here but as someone suggested - a surrogate family can temporarily replace the other and can be a rich source of happiness.

I wish you well TG - hopefully this phase will pass for you and you will pass through to the next phase of your life and begin to appreciate that you are living in paradise
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I once had 'Cabin Fever'. I got weird, okay weirder.

Winter '89 in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
                            They had more snow than since the 50's that year.
                            My one and only 'winter'. It was beautiful and I had some fun, but...

Factors:
                            Too (bleep) cold
                            Solid grey skies for months
                            Indoors too much
                            Slipping and falling outside
                            All you see of the girls is their face or even just eyes.

Definitely out of sorts physically and emotionally.
                            Luckily, the fever was only for a short period.
                            I really had a great time there. Met lots of cool people and even won a Limbo contest held at a 'Beach Party' in the Lighthouse Pub.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Try volunteer work.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X