Starbucks Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbucks Alert

All Starbucks nationwide will close from 5:30-9pm (local time) for what the company describes as an effort to re-train and energize its baristas. Here's the press release. I'm not a Starbucks regular, but I drop by the Sand Island store from time to time while waiting for the better half. I guess I'll default to McDonald's if necessary today.

Re: Starbucks Alert

Thanks for the warning! Bet it will make the national news.

Comment

Well thank God. I've been reading about this re-training period and it couldn't have come soon enough. The consistency of their drinks is ridiculous. The Americano can be anywhere from really good, rich and flavorful to dull tasteless brown water. At the prices they charge this is inexcusable. I know it does have something to do with the automatic espresso maker introduced last year because they had employees getting carpal tunnel from the movement of putting on the piece with the grounds in and out of the area that the water comes through. I know the Kailua makes AWFUL Americano's yet the Kaneohe Windward City Shopping Center location and the Ward locations make them perfectly everytime.

BTW, unrelated but if you're on the windward side in Kailua check out the new location and atmosphere of Morning Brew, it's wonderful! Soon they will also be serving beer, wine and tapas. I am a MB habituant.

Comment

Speaking of which, I believe that on the very same day, Dunkin Donuts will be offering their coffee at discounted prices. I'll post a link if I find one.

Comment

It has been national news for a couple weeks.

Comment

As promised, here is the link which talks about the Starbucks training, and the Dunkin Donuts promotion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23342962

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
            It has been national news for a couple weeks.
            This is the first I've heard of it But then again, I like tea much more than coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              As promised, here is the link which talks about the Starbucks training, and the Dunkin Donuts promotion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23342962

This is the first I've heard of it But then again, I like tea much more than coffee.
              Thanks for taking time to post the link. I've read about it various places but were it not for my addiction to many food related sites I probably wouldn't have been as aware, I did see it in one of the Sunday papers though.

My husband is addicted to peppermint tea, every morning he has a cup. Only on the weekends does he drink coffee - or booze for that matter too!

Comment

CNN.com had it on their main page today, and they also ran a poll:

How will you survive the three-hour Starbucks closure?

Visit another coffee shop -- 9% -- 12,686
                Hide under my desk -- 9% -- 11,915
                I don't go to Starbucks -- 82% -- 111,462

Total Votes: 136,063
                I was a little surprised that 82% of CNN.com readers don't even go to Starbucks, though I'm one of that 82%.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  I was a little surprised that 82% of CNN.com readers don't even go to Starbucks, though I'm one of that 82%.
                  I'm guessing that many of those were not being exactly truthful (not impugning your integrity, LikaNui!) as it has become trendy to say one doesn't go to Starbucks. It's not a regular stop for me; I would guess that I go at least 3-5 times a month. I wish there were more coffee choices in the Sand Island area. I do stop sometimes at the Lion Coffee factory, but I don't like the coffee there much at all.

Comment

Gee, going to Starbucks used to be the "trendy" thing to do. Especially since most of those going didn't know a good brew from a bad one with all that cream they put in it: Yes I'd like a bit of coffee to flavor my cream!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Gee, going to Starbucks used to be the "trendy" thing to do. Especially since most of those going didn't know a good brew from a bad one with all that cream they put in it: Yes I'd like a bit of coffee to flavor my cream!
                      Once you have cat poop coffee, there's no going back.

Comment

starbucks is like having coffee flavored milk :P

i used to love Petals and Beans but just found out they are no longer occupying that space by the airport area.

Comment

I once went into a Starbucks and asked them to scrape the bottom of the carafe, mix a bit of hot water and serve it.

The kid looked like a deer's eyes caught in the glare of an oncoming truck. He didn't see that one coming and then stammered, "We don't make coffee like that".

I told him, "funny cuz that's what I got yesterday from you guys, thank god for the cream!"
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I once went into a Starbucks and asked them to scrape the bottom of the carafe, mix a bit of hot water and serve it.

The kid looked like a deer's eyes caught in the glare of an oncoming truck. He didn't see that one coming and then stammered, "We don't make coffee like that".

I told him, "funny cuz that's what I got yesterday from you guys, thank god for the cream!"
                            THAT made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the funny moment, I'm a bit hinky now due to relatives arriving soon to stay with us THREE WEEKS! and
                            a good laugh is what I need! Cute picture of the puppy with the coffee too!
                            Aloha!

Comment

With this straw, I drink your cuppichino.

Comment

Working...
                              X