Craigslist Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Scam?

For the first time, I put something for sell on Craigslist. What I got back was a LOT of responses telling me that they wanted to buy my item, to take it off the list, and that they would send me a certified bank check.

What they wanted from me, was my name, address, and phone number, so they had a place to send the check.

I got so many of those, there HAS to be a scam in there some where. Anyway, I deleted all those emails. But does anybody know what this scam is ?

I was going to have fun and put my name as G. Raffe, and give the address to the Honolulu zoo, but nahhhhh LOL

And while I'm here....if any of you bass guitarists are looking for a stage amp rig, let me know.

Salamat Po,

DD
    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Re: Craigslist Scam ?

ALL BS.

I love CL, but when it actually come to selling something, weeding through all the nigerian buyers and other cons is a pita!

I am in the market for a SWR Red Head or working mans combo if you ship, lol.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

I only deal with buyers/sellers on CL if they're ballsy enough to meet in person at the mall.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

DD808 - congrats to you for realizing that this is indeed a scam. There's a few variations on the Craigslist check scam, but they all involve crazy people trying to separate you from your money. The details will take me forever to type up, but read this link from smartmoney.com

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Such is the typical fake-check scam: A remote buyer feigns interest in buying your goods — sight unseen — and sends you a check or money order for more than the item costs. You are asked to wire the difference. Several days later, the bank discovers that the check is fraudulent and you're responsible for the balance.

It might seem like an obvious ruse to seasoned online buyers and sellers, but check fraud was the fourth most common scam cited in a joint report by the National White Collar Crime Center and the FBI in 2004. And in terms of monetary damage, check fraud tops the list. In 2004, the median dollar loss reported by victims was $3,600, according to the report, compared with $200 for auction fraud and $240 for credit-card fraud.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

heres a response to the ad:

Hiya , Good to hear from you , However i'll be leaving for Omaha ,NE
          this afternoon and I'll send a check via my bank to cover the cost as
          am satisfied with what have seen so far,anyways i'll not be available
          for the pick-up due to much engagement with me this season, but my
          intention is to hire a mover to pick it up, hence I will need the
          details of whom & where to mail the certified bankcheck.It will be
          delivered by the United Parcel Service within 2-3 days.Please note
          'UPS' do not deliver to P.O.Box addresses. in addition , im offering
          additional $20 so you remove the posting from craigslist .i assure ya
          that i'm an honest and trustworthy fellow .i also urge you to be
          honest in your dealings as honesty is and remains the best policy.

1.Name to be on the check
          2.Home address
          3.Telephone #

I will call you as soon as im able to .
          Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you
          to save me cost .
          Best Regards and God Bless
          Nelson .

as if.

Comment

lol, SOLID! Indeed, i will be surprised to see the response, if any!
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Re: Craigslist Scam?

What can go wrong when anyone can flag and delete any post on the board?

Comment

I answered this ad the other day... haven't received a response yet?!
                Many years ago I worked as 1st Mate aboard "Captain Bob's Picnic sail" out of He'eia Kea Boat Harbor(Kaneohe Bay).
                It'd be fun to do something similar again. We'll see...

I'll take a trip over to the boat soon.
                Last edited by Menehune Man; January 8, 2009, 03:46 PM.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

MM, not a surprise. Only a fraction of the posters reply on any CL matters.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    I answered this ad the other day... haven't received a response yet?!
                    Three words in that ad worry me: "No experience necessary."
                    They want to hire crew to take a 37' catamaran offshore... with no experience?
                    They say they take "people" out on snorkeling and sailing tours. It's pretty safe to presume those "people" are tourists and that most won't have any boating skills. Even more reason to have experienced crew (like you are, MM).
                    If they're taking passengers for hire, is the boat Coast Guard certified? (Remember that in the past two years there were two deaths on catamarans operating off Waikiki Beach, and those boats were certified.)
                    I dunno, MM. That "no experience necessary" raises a real red flag, to me. Keep us posted on how it turns out, k?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      (Remember that in the past two years there were two deaths on catamarans operating off Waikiki Beach, and those boats were certified.)
                      What happened?

Comment

Three words in that ad worry me: "No experience necessary."
                        They want to hire crew to take a 37' catamaran offshore... with no experience?
                        [...]
                        I dunno, MM. That "no experience necessary" raises a real red flag, to me. Keep us posted on how it turns out, k?
                        At $10/hr., it appears it's a money issue. I'd guess an experienced crew member might expect more than that. All the more reason to hire MM. (pssst...MM? You deserve more $!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                          What happened?
                          There was this deadly catamaran accident off Waikiki in December 2006, which killed a 13-year-old boy and seriously injured two others.
                          Then just four months later was the second deadly catamaran accident, which killed a 48-year-old and, like the other one, sent two other people to the hospital.
                          (The second accident was off Maui, not Waikiki. I misspoke in my earlier post.)
                          In both cases, the masts broke. Both boats had passed their Coast Guard inspections. Just... freak accidents.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            At $10/hr., it appears it's a money issue. I'd guess an experienced crew member might expect more than that. All the more reason to hire MM. (pssst...MM? You deserve more $!)
                            Yeah, I would be an asset to them and not really doing it for the money.
                            Just wanna go sailing and a few extra bucks won't hurt.

Just seeing bikini's is good enough. HaHa! Shhh... don't tell Mrs. menehune.

I really think it would just be fun.

Comment

There was this deadly catamaran accident off Waikiki in December 2006, which killed a 13-year-old boy and seriously injured two others.
                              Then just four months later was the second deadly catamaran accident, which killed a 48-year-old and, like the other one, sent two other people to the hospital.
                              (The second accident was off Maui, not Waikiki. I misspoke in my earlier post.)
                              In both cases, the masts broke. Both boats had passed their Coast Guard inspections. Just... freak accidents.
                              I could even go up the mast (in a bosun's chair) and inspect the rigging!
                              we'll see...

Comment

Working...
                              X