Musical Instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Musical Instruments?

I bought the Fender Mexican Strat. The sound was a little "thin," so I replaced the three pick-ups with an up-graded set of "vintage" pick-ups for around $200. The improvement was very noticable.

There are Fender models from Japan with decals sporting the term "Crafted in Japan" as opposed to "Made in Japan." These reportedly rival the "American Standard" Fender USA line.

Me? I play a 45-year old (Oct. 1963 on the butt of the neck) vintage Fender Jaguar which I've owned since 1970.
    Last edited by oceanpacific; September 19, 2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I'm guilty of having about 8 guitars hanging on my wall right now

But yes, it's true that each guitar will have a different characteristic in it's sound and features. At this point for you, I'd be very wary of getting sucked into the name brands of guitars. You can easily find yourself shelling out hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for a guitar with features you dont really want.

Get to know the guitar in general first. Learn about pickups, fretboards, types of wood for the body, types of bridges, body types, guitar tones, guitar effects, the list goes on..... As you learned first hand, one guitar will be great for one guitar player, but another one will say it sucks. It all depends on what you want from the guitar, and you should have an idea what you want from a guitar.

Personally, my favorite guitar is my Caparison Horus. It's a beautifully crafted guitar from Japan. It feels very comfortable in my hands, and combined with my BOSS GT-6 effects board, I can play any style of music I want to.

Another recommendation is to join a board for guitar players Once you get past the egos (yes, all guitar players have them LOL) you'll learn a wealth of information from reading the posts.

Like Jim75, I ramble

DD
      Last edited by DiverDown808; September 20, 2008, 11:35 PM.
      www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Thanx for both of those links. Those Caparison's are some of the sweetest looking guitars around in the market today.
        I liked the simple and effective curve at the heel to get past that spot easy, and frets right up against the PU!

But, I'm at the other end of the 6 string spectrum and favor the old 50'60s Gretsch's and Magnatones for straight guitar, and a good jazz box.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post

But yes, it's true that each guitar will have a different characteristic in it's sound and features. At this point for you, I'd be very wary of getting sucked into the name brands of guitars. You can easily find yourself shelling out hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for a guitar with features you dont really want.

Get to know the guitar in general first. Learn about pickups, fretboards, types of wood for the body, types of bridges, body types, guitar tones, guitar effects, the list goes on..... As you learned first hand, one guitar will be great for one guitar player, but another one will say it sucks. It all depends on what you want from the guitar, and you should have an idea what you want from a guitar.

Personally, my favorite guitar is my Caparison Horus. It's a beautifully crafted guitar from Japan. It feels very comfortable in my hands, and combined with my BOSS GT-6 effects board, I can play any style of music I want to.

Another recommendation is to join a board for guitar players Once you get past the egos (yes, all guitar players have them LOL) you'll learn a wealth of information from reading the posts.

Like Jim75, I ramble

DD
          Thanks for the info and the sight btw that's a sweet guitar
          A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
            Any body has a fender stratocaster? I heard there's the American made version and than there's the Mexican version. I talked to a friend of mines at work and he say's that the Mexican one sound so so while my older brother say's it sounds like crap. I heard the better version are the American made versions but dang they're expensive. For those that play guitar whats your personal preference?
            =================
            I own a Mexican Strat. It sounds ok to me. Mine is set up nicely so the action is very easy. I also have an "Indonesia" Sqire/Fender Strat. Paid 80 bucks for it used and it sounds like 80 bucks worth of used guitar. It's ok for a kid getting started. Run it through a Digitech pedal and it can make all kids of noises. The Mex. strat does sound a lot better than the Squire.
            Also got a Bill Lawrence Swampkaster. A very well made Tele style guitar. Google it. They are uncommon.

Comment

Stringed instrument friends - re: callouses...a thin coat of NuSkin on your fingertips works wonders!!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I play violin, like forever now. I can play any song you can sing. I was blessed with perfect pitch, and I can literally play anything I hear. I was playing songs by Radiohead then Tool, then Vivaldi just the other night. Started when I was 8. Actually I can play anything with strings if you let me eff with it for awhile. Anyone else play strings? I'd love to duet!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Stringed instrument friends - re: callouses...a thin coat of NuSkin on your fingertips works wonders!!
                  I lose those way fast. I always work through the pain, and they build back soon enough.

Comment

> snip...
                    DD
                    at least you admit you have a problem now since you've owned up to it...
                    that means it stops..no more guitars! no more to add on to the wall! after all...you only have ONE pair of hands...

Comment

You just don't get it, do you?

It matters not that there is no room for yet another guitar, because there is always room for another guitar!

Comment

God Bless you Ron Whitfield

Yes, I have my eyes on a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty and an Ibanez 7 string guitar.....

But yes, I need to get my wife some diamond jewelry before I can even consider asking her if I can get one or two or three more guitars

DD
                        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

[...]
                          But yes, I need to get my wife some diamond jewelry before I can even consider asking her if I can get one or two or three more guitars [...]
                          OK, Cran...we're all witnesses! Hold out for the recently found, 478 carat diamond that was on the news last night!

Comment

I own several guitars, to the horror of my wife.
                            • American Stratocaster, approx. 1991, black and white, rosewood fingerboard.
                            • Ibanez Roadstar II, Strat-type, late-'80s, cream body, natural fingerboard.
                            • Hofner 3/4 acoustic, 1960s, handmade in Germany. Same company that made McCartney's violin-shaped Beatle bass.
                            • Hofner 500-1 "Beatle Bass" 1973
                            • Few more assorted acoustic and electric guitars
                            • 7 ukulele, 3 Kamaka; 1 Applause; 1 Lanikai; 1 handmade 6-string tenor; 1 Oscar Schmidt
                            • Forgot... dozen or two harmonicas, including a complete set with all the keys in a box. Prefer Hohner Golden Melody

I just sold two of my electrics; one Lincoln made in Japan Les Paul copy; one 3/4 size mini Strat copy.

Can I play? Not so much. I do make excellent noise, however!
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Come on, let's start seeing some photos!!! Here was my collection about a year ago:

But there's been two additions since then -- a five-string fretless bass and another ukulele (pineapple shaped body and a honu hole).
                              And to answer the original question, I started piano as a keiki and played trumpet through high school and college. Played guitar since pre-teen years. (Matter of fact, that nylong 6-string on the wall to the left in the above? It's a Ramirez flamenco (wider neck) and I bought it around 1964 or so for about $800. Worth a helluva lot more now.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Is that a banjo bass?

I've called the banjo police, and the banjo SWAT team should be surrounding the apt. about now...

Comment

Working...
                                X