Water: Tap or Bottled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water: Tap or Bottled?

I live in Tucson right now, so drinking tap water is not really an option--it's really disgusting, thick and has a horrible flavor. I won't buy bottled water anymore either because of the waste of using a plastic bottle to have a sip of water, plastic leeching into the water when it gets warm and the fact that I don't really know where that water comes from or what's in it.

I refill 5 gallon bottles from my local water purification facility--yes, I have to haul it home in my truck but it tastes great, is cheaper than bottled water or delivery and lasts a long time. I then refill a reusable water bottle to take with me when I go to work or go out.

I guess I just can't justify the waste of fuel and energy it takes to get a bottle of water to me from California, Fiji, New Zealand or wherever.

Water from the tap in Hawaii actually tastes OK to me.....

Comment

Tap here. Bottled there.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
        Tap here. Bottled there.
        Word, brother. Word. lol

Tap water in Waikiki is soft and clean as far as I can tell, and I have no fear of drinking from the tap or using ice from my unfiltered refrigerator's automatic ice maker. Taste as good as the filtered bottled stuff to me.

The tap water in Las Vegas has a distinctive chlorine smell and taste, but I still drank it. Now I glow green like money. lol

If you're unsure about the potability of your tap water, there are home test kits available.

The "HI 5" 6 cents recycle fee makes buying bottled water - especially the smaller-sized bottles by the case - discouraging.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          The "HI 5" 6 cents recycle fee makes buying bottled water - especially the smaller-sized bottles by the case - discouraging.
          The bottle tax is the main reason for me to stop buying bottled water on a regular basis. Not that I bought much of the stuff before the tax was implemented in 2004, but since then I have rarely bought any bottled water nor drinks in cans like soda or juice... and I am not a beer drinker... not sure if that tax impacts beer and other alcoholic beverages.

Just a reminder, that for every 6¢ the state takes from you, you only get 5¢ back if you or some other person or entity turns the bottles/containers in for a redemption. The state still pockets a penny to build up their huge special fund, ready for raiding the next time the Legislature thinks the State is short of money for something else.

Again because of new, higher taxes, the cost of living in Hawaii is higher than it was in 2004.

Tap water is good!

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As I mentioned in LAST summer's bottled-water thread, I recently developed a sensitivity to the taste of my tap water at home. It's got a metallic flavor I find difficult to handle, 'though I confess that lately, I am more likely to drink it anyway because of rising costs of other stuff (the sale prices of bottled water have remained fairly stable). I keep a few bottles of my own tap water in the fridge for when I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty enough that even metallic water will do.

I still buy and drink bottled water. I am unconcerned about the bottle tax, 'though as I have said, I am not sure it does what we consumers want it to do. I have not yet been convinced of the benefits of recycling, especially recycling plastic bottles that have to be shipped back to the mainland for recycling; however, one wonderful benefit of the bottle tax is that the small part of me that suspects recycling is the way to go no longer feels guilty when I don't recycle! Since everyone else is doing it, my few bottles per week will make no difference at all in the landfills (considering things on a global scale) if they even make it to the landfills, since I usually either dump bottles into other people's recycling bins or throw them in trash cans that I know are regular stops for bottle scavengers.

We do have some of the best tap water on the planet in Hawaii, but my house is excluded from that generalization.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              I have not yet been convinced of the benefits of recycling, especially recycling plastic bottles that have to be shipped back to the mainland for recycling
              Wow, is this true?! I had no idea. I was under the impression that major Hawai‘i recyclers like Reynolds Recycling were a stand-alone operation. I guess we don’t really think about these things once we’ve traded our bags for nine bucks and change.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Yes. We have no recycling facilities in this state, unless you count HPOWER, which is a form of recycling, if you ask me.

I'm not as anti-recycling as I used to be. We get a lot of ships coming in with cars, toilet paper, and rice. Those ships have to go somewhere when they leave this place, and what are we really shipping out that has to compete for space with our trash? My guess is those boats probably leave grossly underloaded. But that is just a guess.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

okay now that i'm grossed out by bottled water. well, i'm going to stick to tap when possible. now where the heck did i put that britta pitcher? found it. but, shucks no filter.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    what iz dis product of which you speak?
                    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

This thing really works. No other solution necessary. I still rarely drink water. You know what fish do in that stuff?
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I use filtered water from my KitchenAid fridge for coffee. I find the dispenser too slow most times and just use tap water for everything else.
                      Speed is the deciding factor. You can take the girl out of New York but...
                      I was sick off and on for about three months after I moved here. I suppose I just wasn't used to clean.
                      I have adapted nicely.

Comment

Tap if I made rent - hose if I didn't
                        Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

a bunch of us at the office agreed to split the cost of water from hawaiian isles water company. it came in yesterday, and honestly, despite my coworker's hailing of the whole reverse osmosis/multiple filter thing they do, the water tasted...unnatural (!) to me--kinda like when you buy a new plastic thermos and the plasticky taste hasn't been completely washed out before you use it. maybe the unit is new and stuff needs to flush out, i have no idea. but if i go on taste alone, i'd rather drink the stuff from the bathroom tap (which my coworker derisively calls "toilet water") after i've put it through my pur filtered pitcher.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

we have been introduced to Kangen water.

read here: http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com...t-or-myth.html

i still have my reservations so we'll see.....

Comment

Retired 3 dot columnist, Eddie Sherman, is involved in Hawaii Deep Blue bottled water...a product of Hawaii. Has anyone tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Retired 3 dot columnist, Eddie Sherman, is involved in Hawaii Deep Blue bottled water...a product of Hawaii. Has anyone tried it?

we've tried it....not something i would purchase ever again..noticeable swelling in feet after 32 oz or so and then if you partly freeze it...when it starts defrosting you can REALLY taste the saltiness. and it wasn't pleasant at all!

Comment

Working...
                                X