This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Looks like there are some new exterior pics of the first ship. And guess the mascot is a stingray.

http://hawaiisuperferry.com/story56.aspx

Comment

Oh goody -- does that mean that is the first marine creature they intend to
      ram? ( )

Comment

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post
        Oh goody -- does that mean that is the first marine creature they intend to ram? ( )
        Gee, funny how you ignore the recent news reports about the tour company boats and private boats hitting whales this year, as reported on the front page of yesterday's Honolulu Advertiser at this link. Why don't you expend some energy complaining about them instead of the nonexistent SuperFerry?
        Last edited by LikaNui; February 1, 2007, 07:23 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Maybe because tourism is the #1 industry?

Comment

If it comes down to choosing between more cruise ships and Superferry for taking space on the crowded piers at Naalehu, Kawaihae and Kahului, I would choose Superferry because it will serve local residents. Don't need any more cruise ships cluttering the harbors! Top priority, though, should be space for barges and shipment of needed goods and supplies.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              If it comes down to choosing between more cruise ships and Superferry for taking space on the crowded piers at Naalehu, Kawaihae and Kahului, I would choose Superferry because it will serve local residents. Don't need any more cruise ships cluttering the harbors! Top priority, though, should be space for barges and shipment of needed goods and supplies.

Miulang

Start a SuperBarge?

Comment

Super Barge, nice, lol.

I'm taking a weeks vacation and ferrying my ohana + car to Maui in July .

Comment

Miulang, I hope you're sitting down, because this is going to come as a big shock to you, but... I agree 100% with every word you wrote! Well done.
                  [/high five]

Comment

Since everyone thinks that the Super Ferry is such a great and wonderful improvement for our islands -- I sincerely hope this will be true.

I'll continue to harbor my own doubts and hope that they are proved wrong a year from now.

I'm outta here -- too much aggression!

Comment

Superferry EIS bill advances

Well, it looks like the Neighbor Island legislators are keeping true to their word and are pushing through HB 702, which would require an EIS for Superferry.

But the chairwoman of that panel, Kauai Rep. Hermina “Mina” Morita, said the legislative attempt to require a complete environmental study of the Superferry’s impacts has just begun.

Based on discussion by committee members and the panel’s vote, she said, “We’ve got a long, tough road to go down.”

House Bill 702 passed with six ayes and two nays, but three of the aye votes came with reservations. Voting in favor of the bill without reservation were Morita, East Maui-Molokai-Lanai Rep. Mele Carroll (who introduced the House bill) and Oahu Rep. Scott Saiki. Those voting in favor but with reservations were Oahu lawmakers Pono Chong and Michael Magaoay and Roland Sagum of Kauai. Voting against the measure were Reps. Ken Ito and Cynthia Thielen, both of Oahu.

Acknowledging that some of her colleagues are “unsure” about the measure, Carroll said the bill passed with an amendment proposed by Morita that would allow the Transportation Department to assess the Hawaii Superferry for the costs of a complete environmental impact statement.

...Transportation officials opposed the bill as being “unnecessary” and possibly “legally flawed.” They maintained it “will adversely affect and impact the activities associated with improving and expanding our state commercial harbors.”

“The proposed legislation is based on an incorrect assumption that the state Harbors Division undertakes commercial harbor improvements without observing or complying with the state’s environmental review process,” the department’s testimony states.

Although Kahului Harbor modifications are required to allocate space to a Superferry dock, the department testimony said the actual work will accommodate Young Brothers’ needs.

“The majority of improvements being undertaken at Kahului Harbor are intended to improve operating conditions for the Young Brothers interisland barge service,” it said.

...The House bill is a companion measure to one drafted and introduced in the Senate by Central Maui Sen. Shan Tsutsui. Maui Sens. J. Kalani English and Roz Baker also signed on as co-sponsors of Senate Bill 1276, which is scheduled for a public hearing this afternoon before the Senate Transportation and International Affairs Committee (chaired by English) and the Energy and Environment Committee (chaired by Oahu Sen. Ron Menor).
                      So the big question is would the time required to decide whether an EIS is needed delay the inauguration of service to Maui scheduled for July, and if it does, will Garibaldi et al pull the plug on the operation? (My guess is no, because they already have too much money invested in the project).

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Superferry EIS bill advances

Well, it looks like the Neighbor Island legislators are keeping true to their word and are pushing through HB 702, which would require an EIS for Superferry.

So the big question is would the time required to decide whether an EIS is needed delay the inauguration of service to Maui scheduled for July, and if it does, will Garibaldi et al pull the plug on the operation? (My guess is no, because they already have too much money invested in the project).

Miulang
                        Just tossing this in, with no knowledge of such things but---I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?

After all, at this point they would certainly believe that the ferry is a done deal. It's been years from package to plate, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          Just tossing this in, with no knowledge of such things but---I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?

After all, at this point they would certainly believe that the ferry is a done deal. It's been years from package to plate, after all.
                          Well. according to the contract they signed with the State, they get something like $20k a day (Or maybe it was per month...anyway, there's a liquidated damages clause in the contract) for delays in starting service. I'd like to know WHO in the State negotiated that contract. Was it now-deposed DOT director Rod Haraga?

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?
                            Oh, heck YES, you're right -- they'll be suing 'til the proverbial cows come home! They've got tens and tens of millions already invested, the ship has already been launched and is about to begin its voyage here, staff has been hired, tons and tons of money have been spent in facilities, crew and staff training, expenses of hiring and advertising, and God knows what all else... and at the very last second a couple of legislative idiots want to change the rules and stop everything?!?! Hell yes, the SuperFerry will sue. And the state will end up paying a bloody fortune. That $75 million from the Ko Olina Aquarium that was kicked back to the state? Ka-CHING it goes to the SuperFerry lawsuit.
                            And even that quote from Miulang's article today said "The majority of improvements being undertaken at Kahului Harbor are intended to improve operating conditions for the Young Brothers interisland barge service”, but no, all the whiners wat to do is blame it on the SuperFerry.
                            This is all going from dumb to dumber. WAY dumber.

Comment

Miulang, $20,000 per day wouldn't even come close to how much they'll be losing every day they're delayed, as I'm sure you're aware.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                That $75 million from the Ko Olina Aquarium that was kicked back to the state? Ka-CHING it goes to the SuperFerry lawsuit..
                                They're gonna have to fight for that $75 million tax credit with the folks who want to now put an aquarium in Kaka'ako.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X