Anyone who works in the IT field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone who works in the IT field?

I need help guys, I need to interview someone who works in the IT field. Basically, I need information on what certifications does your employer require their employees or applicants to have. What the starting pay is and the demand in this field. Anybody's feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Re: Anyone who works in the IT field?

I'm probably the last person you'd want to interview, even though I work in the IT sector.

I'm a Computer Technician for soon to be 2 companies. AFAIK, the 2nd company I got hired at, has techs with either certifications or degrees (I have a degree in Network Systems Administration - yeah, I know... ). Both are small companies, so I don't get paid much. And there is demand in the field, but its tough to get business when there's big box companies like Best Buy's Geek Squad or Circuit City's Firedog and well known establishments like SuperGeek and Cowabunga.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Thanks for replying adrian! I wouldn't mind interviewing someone who works at a "smaller" company, as you describe it. I have some questions though, when you started looking for a job, do you have to take some tests during the application process? How do employers hire IT professionals? In your case as a technician, do you need to "fix" a system unit or something for them to know your capabilities.. (again, this was when you just finished your degree).

Comment

When is your assignment due?

I consider myself to be in the IT field. My employers only required some kind of Baccalaureate degree. The current demand in this area is VERY high, since I'm in education, and tech people can make a lot more money outside the classroom. Starting pay is in the area of 30,000 or in that neighborhood.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by cprompt0806 View Post
          I have some questions though, when you started looking for a job, do you have to take some tests during the application process?
          Nope, no tests.
          How do employers hire IT professionals?
          If I can remember last year, the owner contacted me on another local forum asking if I'd want to work for a computer repair company. He was upfront with what I'd earn, and I was okay with that, so I started.

At my 2nd job, I just scoured the online help wanted ads, then I found an ad for a computer repair shop on base. Even though the email communication was slow, I got the interview, and the two co-owners just questioned me on my experience and what I can do. It was a similar position as to the one I was currently doing, so it wasn't a big jump.
          In your case as a technician, do you need to "fix" a system unit or something for them to know your capabilities.. (again, this was when you just finished your degree).
          Nope.

For the first job, I said I wanted to start out - fresh from college.

For my 2nd job, they saw my degree and trusted my other job that I knew what I was doing - no tests.

Comment

I need help guys, I need to interview someone who works in the IT field. Basically, I need information on what certifications does your employer require their employees or applicants to have. What the starting pay is and the demand in this field. Anybody's feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            I have worked in the IT field for some time. I have zero certifications, but have had to fight for my job every inch of the way. I have a B.S., Computer Information Systems, but got that only last year (2006) after working in the field for nearly 30 years.

Please describe your current situation/qualifications/experience. Why are you asking? Are you looking for work for yourself, or are you planning a path for further schooling? Are you planning to get certifications, if necessary?

I looked at your blog and note that you are a Linux fan, and I would imagine, Linux whip. That could work for or against you, depending on what kind of job and what kind of place you are fishing for.

Many IT departments are run by people who live, eat and breathe Microsoft. If you're not MS certified, you are nobody to them. (I am Macintosh-based, so have experienced this first hand.)

There are other places that favor Unix/Linux, and you may do very well there. There are Unix/Linux certifications available, too. They wouldn't hurt you in a job search.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Yeah you need to explain the situation better. Its hard to say what to look for because the qualifications can range from basic to advance. Same goes with salary or hourly rate. Is this a small or big organization? Private company, educational, contractor, military or government?

I have applied for tech jobs a few times in the past 15 years. Only one place had a test and it was a written one with situational problems. They probably wanted to know your thought process more than any thing.

zztype is on target about the Microsoft-centric job market. But I will say that UNIX is important in some shops, specifically Solaris flavor.

Although certifications are impressive to some people, experience seems to edge that out from what I can tell after job hunting. They want to know what you can do and what you have accomplished with each type of technology. I have seen "certified" techs that know very little so the paper could be worthless.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! Some of you are wondering why I'm asking these questions, its because of a term paper that I need to do. I'm currently studying Networking Technology and there's a Personal Development subject that I'm enrolled in this term and the instructor wants us to get information about the field that we're studying.

We need to get information about the company, whether it is a big company or a small one. We need information from job-specific expectations to work setting and even the company philosophy.

And this paper is due by the third week of October. Right now, I'm getting bits of ideas from forums. And hopefully I could interview someone before the end of this month. Again, thanks for the feedback and I hope that I can get a chance of interviewing anyone of you.

Comment

Some of you are wondering why I'm asking these questions, its because of a term paper that I need to do.
                  Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  When is your assignment due?
                  I wasn't wondering at all. It was completely obvious that it was a homework assignment. Good luck with it -- I hope you got the answers you wanted.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! Some of you are wondering why I'm asking these questions, its because of a term paper that I need to do. I'm currently studying Networking Technology and there's a Personal Development subject that I'm enrolled in this term and the instructor wants us to get information about the field that we're studying.
                    what school? (please don't say Heald)

Comment

If you're still interested, I have a some experience in this field. I started out working for a contracting company in Sunnyvale, CA. I was hired extremely green, and worked my way up from tech support to a few mid-level administration positions, and finally to a senior position six years ago.

I work for a small branch of a much larger (international) comapny. My official title is "Senior System and Network Engineer". I have a degree in a completely unrelated field, and no certifications to speak of. All aspects of the network are my problem, and I also act as a UNIX system administrator. Helpdesk support (eg: "I can't print!!!!!") is someone else's responsibility.

Let me know if this sounds right for your interview. I'm sure the bitter UNIX nerd worldview differs significantly from that of the Microsoft people that seem to run Honolulu.
                      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa View Post
                        I'm sure the bitter UNIX nerd worldview differs significantly from that of the Microsoft people that seem to run Honolulu.
                        Bwaaahaaahaaa! Tooo funny!

But sadly, mostly very true, too. And the saddest part is that none of those certified guys is confident enough to actually DO any of that MS stuff. They ALWAYS need to call in a consultant to execute, or worse, they have to call in the guy from Microsoft to do it for them!

Comment

My husband is a sysadmin right now (kind of a long story as to why) and is trying to get back to IP routing/engineering (which should happen next year if we're lucky, but will require us to move back to the mainland). He has his CCDP/CCNP and working on his CCIE. He works for a contractor (well, he is a contractor lol) for the federal gov't (I can't give too many specifics, he said).

He's required to have: ITIL, a BS degree, a clearance (secret or higher).

After that, they look at certs, experience and with what equipment.

Job demand is pretty high on the mainland - he said it bottomed out, but it has picked up and is now much better. He said starting pay is around 65k+ for folks with CCNP/CCDP. He's been in the engineering field for about 18 years and he doesn't really want me to say how much he makes, but let's just say it's about 4 times the amount I make (not including COLA).

If you have more questions for him or anything, feel free to ask here or send me a pm and I'll send you his email address - he's happy to help you out.
                          Last edited by Kelly0040; September 14, 2007, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Bwaaahaaahaaa! Tooo funny!

But sadly, mostly very true, too. And the saddest part is that none of those certified guys is confident enough to actually DO any of that MS stuff. They ALWAYS need to call in a consultant to execute, or worse, they have to call in the guy from Microsoft to do it for them!
                            I really just don't get why anyone uses that stuff.

(actually, someone explained it to me, and it all comes down to the beancounters making techical decisions )
                            I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa View Post
                              I really just don't get why anyone uses that stuff.

(actually, someone explained it to me, and it all comes down to the beancounters making techical decisions )
                              Their saying is "Nobody ever got fired for recommending Microsoft."

Comment

Working...
                              X