Apple to redo the video iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple to redo the video iPod

So it seems the video iPod will have a make over to have the look and feel of the iPhone's GUI interface.

That should make the video iPod pretty snazzy.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Apple to redo the video iPod

Man, I wouldn't believe anything on any website within two weeks of a scheduled Apple announcement. The Sept. 5 thing could be as simple as adding more DRM-free tracks to iTunes, or a range of new color options for the current line of 5G iPods. "The Beat Goes On" being the tagline of the event, it could just be a set of sexy iPod speakers!

Most of the chatter is, indeed, over a phone-less iPhone (widescreen, touchscreen, Wi-Fi enabled 6G iPod), and a video-capable "fat nano," mockups of which were pulled from Mac fan sites after takedown requests from Cupertino. But expectations almost always exceed reality. I'd be happy if Sept. 5 is just to announce the Beatles catalog finally making it to iTunes.

I kind of doubt the widescreen, touchscreen 6G iPod, since the iPhone is too new and I think Apple expects to sell a metric buttload more of them heading into this holiday season.

Comment

You're probably right but I think by Christmas time, that iPhone will be an improved one with higher capacities.

Then right after the holiday season is over then announce Apple's version of the PSP.

BTW just how much exactly is a metric buttload? Hmmmm.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

although there is no way to know for sure... the video ipod is due for the 6th gen update, and there's no way apple updates the video ipod without doing a full redesign. so my money is on a fullscreen video ipod with iphone like use. this will not eat into iphone sales because i yet to meet anyone who bought a iphone to use it just as a ipod. people want the iphone for the phone, internet, email, etc... honestly i haven't used my iphone as a ipod as much as i thought i would.

I've also read rumors of iTunes HD content, and "wireless" ipod/iphone to buy songs directly from itunes.... also read the annoucements are bigger than anyone might think (supposedly from a insider)

so the hype has begun, i'm sure it will be something cool, but we'll see.... my money is on the new 6th gen video ipod
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Most of the chatter is, indeed, over a phone-less iPhone (widescreen, touchscreen, Wi-Fi enabled 6G iPod), ....
          A wi-fi enabled iPod that allows web browsing would definitely be on my want list. That would be the one thing that would motivate me to upgrade from my 4G iPod Photo to a 6G. I don't need video though it would be nice for short clips and stuff, and I could dedicate the audio portion to longform music and more podcasts while keeping my present iPods exclusively for music only.

Yes, the iPhone interface is nice and I think it would be cool if it were featured on an upcoming iPod... of course for less the price than a full fledged iPhone. I'm not a big fan of cell phones, but I do like the iPod.

Of course the announcement could be that all of The Beatles tracks will be available on iTunes. We already got most of the solo Beatle tracks now available on iTunes, not that I need to buy them since I have long owned most all of them on CD for years. But in order for these classic rock songs to reach a younger audience who tend to buy music one track at the time, having that catalog available would be a big plus for iTunes.

And I like the idea of more DRM-free music.

Anything is possible but like the rest of the world we just have to wait for the official announcement next week.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

rumor time:

source

Digitimes relays more rumors about Apple's expected announcements on Wednesday September 5th.

According to "sources at Taiwan-based contract manufacturers", Digitimes expects Apple to release an iPod video with touch-control interface.

The new iPod video will also come with a wide-screen panel, high storage capacity and Wi-Fi connectivity, the sources indicated. In addition, the new iPod video is expected to be powered by NAND flash, instead of a hard disk drive (HDD).

Many had assumed the high-end iPod would continue to use a hard drive, but this report indicates Apple may move to entirely to Flash based storage.

Vnunet cites a "reliable industry insider" and claims that Apple's new iPods will be able to receive digital radio and include a "buy-now" function that will allow the user to download and buy tracks as they are being played.

Vnunet's accuracy is unknown, but there have been whispers of wireless/radio integration into the new iPods, but the exact implementation has been unknown.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

well, if this is what it is, an iPod advancement, then I think I'll proceed with my iPhone acquisition. I do love my iPod, though.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Wednesday will be fun!

and hard on a lot of people's pocketbook

Comment

Latest I heard was wifi with some kind of digital streaming audio.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

More rumors

Like the usual Apple fashion, it makes me all jittery 'n stuff.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

And more! New report from ThinkSecret, and covered by Engadget, the day before the event, "confirms" the touch-screen iPod, is doubtful of WiFi and radio capabilities, and suggests a video-playing iPod nano. Of course, these rumor sites have a 50/50 success rate (if you go with "right" and "wrong"), so really, as usual, your guess is as good as anyone's.

There's an unusual amount of mainstream media coverage of this "little" media event, and that's odd to me. Maybe it's the halo effect after the iPhone launch. I'd love to be wowed by whatever they unveil, but boy are folks going to be miffed if it's just a new set of iPod speakers.

Comment

this time tomorrow, Apple's stock will rise again.
                        "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

i would think there has to be at least one major unveiling since they are at the Moscone Center in SF. I doubt they'd rent that out for something small.

also interesting is the latest news from Akamai (which controls the backend of iTunes). They just released news on 2 new features:

"Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM) today announced the launch of its Large File Download Optimization technology, an integral feature of the Akamai Electronic Software Delivery and Media Delivery solutions that supports the optimization and delivery of increasingly large files, such as DVD software and high-definition video content. To date, Akamai's global platform has been leveraged by leading software, anti-virus, gaming, and media & entertainment companies to deliver many of the largest online files. "

and

"Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the leading global service provider for accelerating content and applications online, today announced that a consistent, high-definition video experience is now possible online via its global content distribution network. Akamai’s customers are now delivering HD quality content on Akamai’s uniquely distributed edge delivery network that is specifically tuned for optimal delivery of HD files online. "

so maybe we'll also see HD content via iTunes. I would love that, it would make my Apple TV a lot more enjoyable.

Comment

Underway now. Live blogs of the event at Gizmodo, MacWorld, Engadget, and MacDaily News (to name a few). First announcement out of the gate, $0.99 ringtones for your iPhone out of iTunes.

Comment

Looks like we got:
                              • iTunes make-your-own ringtones. About 500,000 eligible songs in the iTunes library that you can make into a 30-second ringtone (choosing your own start and end) for $0.99. Plus $0.99 for the song itself if you didn't already use it.
                              • New video-capable iPod Nanos (as leaked beforehand and dubbed the iPhat), a squat design with a super-high resolution screen (though likely impossibly small for anyone over 30). Sports a new interface with "coverflow" and supports new games (Vortex, Sudoku). 4GB silver, 8GB in a wider range of colors, including PRODUCT(RED).
                              • The "iPod Classic," formerly the 5G iPod video, now thinner and with an all-metal body, capacities of 80GB and 160GB. The 80GB used to sell for $350, now it's $250.The 160GB is $350.
                              • The "iPod Touch," what everyone was hoping for, basically the iPhone without the phone. Incuding Wi-Fi and web browsing (and YouTube)! Multi-touch interface, 8mm thin (that's thinner than the iPhone, which is pretty thin!). Key addition? the iTunes Wi-Fi store. Buy music on the device without a computer!
                              Whew.

Comment

Working...
                              X