Faster Broadband from Hawaiian Telcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Broadband from Hawaiian Telcom

Take a listen to the Hawaiian Telcom's financial results phone call. There is something significant mentioned about upcoming speed increase.

http://hawaiiantel.com/media/47848606.mp3
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Interesting News About Hawaiian Telcom

7 and 11Mbit Internet access? To be rolled out in the 3rd Quarter. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      7 and 11Mbit Internet access? To be rolled out in the 3rd Quarter. Wow!
      Apparently the upload will be 1.5Mbps also, which is added plus.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Here is more confirmation in regards to this upcoming speed increase.
        http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...708180345/1071

I even got quoted in the article :

"Kailua, Kona, resident and Hawaiian Telcom Internet customer Aaron Stene said he's looking forward to the new service.

"It's going to be nice when it happens," he said. "I would definitely go with the higher speed. Hopefully with this added competition it's going to force Oceanic to improve" its Internet service."
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Of course, faster speeds means boosting the price.

Clearwire better have something up its sleeve other than those PCMCIA cards.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
            Of course, faster speeds means boosting the price.

Clearwire better have something up its sleeve other than those PCMCIA cards.
            According to the investor call, they are going to revise the my choice bundle pricing to accomodate the faster DSL speeds. It should be interesting to see
            what the pricing will be as so far that. I would figure it will be competitive to what Road Runner's pricing is. For example Road Runner charges 54.90 for
            8Mbps/512K Road Runner Turbo connection.I would assume the 7Mbps DSL would not exceed that rate. The 11Mbps may be more.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Know how this will effect local resellers of internet access who provide that access through Hawaiian Telcom's DSL lines? Prices? Access to the higher speed?
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                Know how this will effect local resellers of internet access who provide that access through Hawaiian Telcom's DSL lines? Prices? Access to the higher speed?
                Thats the million dollar question, which I really don't know the answer to.Currently the max speed currently for DSL here is 7.1Mbps. But the caveat is that service is provisioned over the existing ATM network. The higher speeds will be provisioned over the new MPLS network being implimented.So I figure the local ISPs would have do upgrades to accomdate the faster speeds.

Currently providers like Lavanet over 7.1Mbps DSL. But it is extremely pricey and you have to live really close to central office.

Interesting the article states HawTel will offer "dry" or "naked" DSL service also. Meaning you won't be required to have land line service to get DSL.I believe this is due to the upcoming IPTV rollout. I've read HawTel's CATV franchise filings.According to the filings, it stated to the DCCA-CATV that landline service would not be required to get IPTV.IPTV will be provisioned over DSL.

The new speeds will be competive with Road Runner's pricing I would figure lastly.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  Interesting the article states HawTel will offer "dry" or "naked" DSL service also.
                  Interesting. Will Oceanic do the same with their RR service?
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                    Interesting. Will Oceanic do the same with their RR service?
                    Actually as far as I understand they do offer "dry" Road Runner service. It is the same price as regular Road Runner, $44.95. They also offer dry digital phone too for $ 49.95 a month. But when you bundle Road Runner, digital phone and Cable tv, the individual prices drop.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Does any poster here work for Hawaiian Telcom, or know anyone that does, quite well?

If so, do you hear any talk of them knowing they still have pitiful billing problems?

If so, please ask them how big their billing dept. is and suggest to them that they get a team of a few people to simply "read over" the bills that are being sent. It's a bit hard to believe that I know someone that "knows someone" that is still getting really GOOFY bills, like basic phone service for only the cost of some 411 calls and twenty cents tax, every month, two and three, and one dollar bills. This is very close people so I know, thought second-hand, or is that third? that it's an accurate and true report, though I don't have the precise numbers. (billed eight dollars many months ago, then five something, credited back, then next couple of mos. charged a couple of dollars a month for that five or so that was credited and even now, still getting two dollar and something bills!)

No wonder they didn't make much money and if I understood clearly, even that profit was from tax breaks. READ the bills being sent out cuz someone's asleep at the wheel.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        If so, do you hear any talk of them knowing they still have pitiful billing problems?
                        To be honest, I have ongoing billing issues which haven't been resolved after repeated phone calls to resolve. They've cheerfully given me credits for these billing errors. But it is a bit irritating. I'll forward your request to someone I know at HT.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Cool, thanks!

I can't stand knowing things like this are true and that they are cheating themselves out of money. I know if they overcharge that the people call and get it fixed, but I can't blame the people I know exist that are being under charged and that haven't told the company. I even was told that they had some kind of repair issue, phoned the company to come to their home and that the undercharging continued. How?!
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

For those customers who are being undercharged, my ongoing overcharges and unpaid refunds more than make up for the loss to Hawaiian Telcom!

Comment

i can't say how i know or what i know, but HT is aware of their billing problems.

most of it started when they had to switch to all new systems after Verizon sold them. and the new billing systems are creating all kinds of problems. they have been working on them for a while and fixed many issues. they have started with large business accounts, so the residential customers will probably be the last leg to work on...

imagine turning on major corporate services worth $100,000 a month and not billing them for 6 months!!!
                              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                              X