Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Originally posted by glossyp
    My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
    Unfortunately , I have to revise this opinion. After several times ordering the burger there, we went yesterday and they are now using pre-formed, commercial patties instead of the hand made ones. Makes the burgers flat and dry. This really bums me out.

Comment

Hmmmm. I thought I answered to this thread but after checking, I didn't. So, here's my 2cents of where the best cheeseburgers are at!

Uptown Cafe on School Street

Janes Fountain on Liliha Steet

and I also enjoy the Cheeseburgers at Byrons Drive Inn.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.
        jumbo jack
        ultimate cheeseburger
        whopper

cheap eats!

didja kno dat at Jack's u can ask the order taker thru da drivethru for condiments like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and mayo for FREE??

I order my ultimate cheeseburger and add the lettuce, onions, tomatoes and more mayo everytime!! dang messy but good eh??!!
        Reggie aka pinakboy
        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
        Recipe Tube TV!
        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

I personally like Like Like Drive Inn's Burgers. I loved the type of patty that they make.
          'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Crap, I love to eat homemade style burgers, but I don't eat them if they have little onions mixed in with the meat. I just can't do it...but that's usually how most burgers are with the exception of national chains. I need to find a place that serves good burgers with no onions in 'em.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!

Comment

I'd seen Carl's Jr. all over Southern California when I worked in LA, but never went to one. Finally got to the one at the Pearlridge Uptown Food Court a month or so ago, and it's pretty good. The best offering it has might be the deep fried zucchini slices, though; I've never seen a fast food franchise offer those.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
                  Took a overnight trip to Kauai recently and had lunch at Bubba's in Hanalei. Long lines and slow service, but a really good burger.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

First of all, I must say thanks for everyone for their posts. Even though I didn't start the thread, it has been very helpful with a project we worked on throughout the summer. The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005

Comment

I like the Koko Burger at Koko cafe in the Hale Koa. Delicious! Especially delivered by room service after a long, wonderful day in Paradise.

Comment

Here's my picks...
                        • Pepperjack Cheese Burger - Matters of Taste, Gentry Center on Nimitz
                        (Fantastic hand-made char-grilled delight, served with a pickle and carrot stick)
                        • Beachside Burger with Pepperjack Cheese - Duke's Barefoot Bar, Waikiki
                        (Another char-grilled delight. Tasty onion roll bun. And their Beachside waffle-cut fries are da' best... Plus a beachfront view to boot!)
                        • Swiss N' Shroom Burger - Shack Hawaii Kai (I don't consider them a "national chain)
                        (Excellent char-grilled flavor, and sitting on the marina with this and a side of their curly fries is next to heaven on earth)
                        • Magic Mushroom Burger - Big City Diner
                        (Can you tell I like mushroom burgers? Nice ambiance, and skin-on fries are ono!)
                        • Char-Grill Burger - Jameson's Haleiwa
                        (Hand-pattied delight, nicely char-grilled with an onion bun, and excellent waffle cut fries)

Most of these picks are in the $6-9 range including the fries. Sorry, pretty tough finding a local spot in a prime location under that price.

Does anyone remember BURGERLAND on Monsarrat? It's now Diamond Head Grill and Market. They had the best tasting local style burgers!
                        Last edited by Pomai; October 4, 2005, 05:36 PM. Reason: Removed national chains out of my list
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005
                          Very cool. Who would've thought eating hamburgers would be so much work? Some unexpected findings, too.

I have to admit, I was someone who propagated the mythology of the Kua 'Aina burger, and I probably still like 'em better than I should. But I totally agree on the Kulia Grill award. Even pre-prepared, wrapped and waiting, they're absolutely delicious - great from the bread to the moistness of the meat to the complimentary choice in cheese (I always get the cheeseburger). And those "experimental" chips blow Kua `Aina's soggy nest of potato strings away.

I've been hearing a lot about Nico's lately. Guess that means I'll have to make a special effort to check 'em out, for both the seafood and the burger!

Comment

Kulia Grill.. hmmm, what a find!

Can't beat the price, location and quality of ingredients, according to the HawaiiDiner.com write-up.

I'm determined to have lunch there some time this week! Will post about it after.

How ironic also, as I just started a thread about the new JABSOM center.

More and more I'll have to "eat" my words.
                            Last edited by Pomai; October 4, 2005, 07:14 PM.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

i'm not a big cheeseburger fan but i can vouch for the chips: excellent!

thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                                thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.
                                The news of Hawaii's best burger is getting around! On the KHON morning news today, Manolo Morales chose Kulia Grill as his spot for his food segment, and he specifically highlighted its winning of HawaiiDiner.com's "Burger Wars" project. He even ordered the chips because glossyp specifically recommended it.

Congrats on the TV mention, and definitely kudos to the Kulia Grill folks. The praise is well-deserved for such great, thoughtfully prepared food.

Comment

Working...
                                X