Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting sold -- KCCN, KINE, KRTR and more

From this breaking news story from Erika Engle:

Hawaii radio stations KRTR-FM 96.3/AM 650, KPHW-FM 104.3, KCCN-FM 100.3, KINE-FM 105.1, KKNE-AM 940 are to be sold by Atlanta-based Cox Media Group as part of corporate restructuring announced this morning.
    The Hawaii stations are among 26 radio and four television stations to be sold in 10 markets across the U.S. Cox also will selll contract rights to additional stations.
    The sales are part of corporate and executive realignment announced as Cox Media Group also announced the purchase of four new TV stations.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Getting sold -- KCCN, KINE, KRTR and more

I wonder how this, or will this, effect the line up for either broadcast of local shows, or playlists and such for local radio. I stream KCNN daily, as I still love me some Jawaiian "hit Music", and it is as close to commercial radio as I get.

Having been on the east Coast for a long time, I have seen the acquisitions of quite a few radio, and tv Channels by COX, and the outcome is always something that leaves a little to be desired. They seem to focus more on a national stance, and forget the "Local" stance. . .I guess only time will tell.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

I've also been wondering what will happen to these stations now. I listen to KINE constantly and would really hate to see it go away. I saw that KCCN threw its LAST birthday bash this weekend... That can't be good... I tried searching for any information about the future of these stations and couldn't find anything...
      Free iPod
      Free Flatscreen

Comment

(Aloha, Keli`i - we've not heard from you in ages!)
        Yeah, the "last bash" element is ominous - I've been chatting online with some of the DeLima `ohana (now the group Kapena) about their performance there.

Comment

The stations are being sold to SummitMedia from Birmingham Alabama.

Newslink
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Summit Media is a partnership between former Heftel executive Carl Parmer and Cox Birmingham Market Manager David Dubose. Parmer and Dubose owned WBHK and WBHJ in Birmingham before they were sold to Cox in the 1990s.

Comment

Summit Media closed on the Cox deal on Friday. Summit picks up the Cox stations in Honolulu, as well as Birmingham, AL; Greenville, SC; Louisville; and Richmond...23 stations in all.

Summit is made up of Former Heftel Broadcasting executive Carl Parmer, Cox Birmingham market manager David Dubose, Cox Birmingham managers Paul Bankston and Darryl Grondines, and former Heftel veteran Bill Tanner.

Comment

I know this is old news from a few months ago, but I would like to chime in and say that 6 radio stations are to many for one company to own in any given market. This consolidation, cluster thing is a big mistake and has destroyed the radio business.

Comment

I miss listening to KINE now that they charge to stream it. I'm glad they didn't mess with the format though.

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika53562 View Post
                    I miss listening to KINE now that they charge to stream it. I'm glad they didn't mess with the format though.
                    I still get KRTR, KCCN, KINE and KKNE with the iHeart Radio streaming app as well as on Apple iTunes. Free.

http://www.iheart.com/
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

iheart has removed them now. KRTR is still free from their site but KKNE, KINE, and KCCN charge.

Comment

Working...
                      X