Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Mark your calendars for Air Force Week Honolulu, which will take place from September 7-15, 2007.

On Saturday, September 15th there will be a USAF Thunderbirds Airpower Demo off Ft. DeRussy in Waikiki at 2:30pm.

Yeah!

It'd be nice if they surprise us with a cameo appearance by an F-22 Raptor squadron... the future wings of the Hawaii Air National Guard.
    Last edited by Pomai; September 6, 2007, 04:34 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Mark your calendars for Air Force Week Honolulu, which will take place from September 7-15, 2007.

On Saturday, September 15th there will be a USAF Thunderbirds Airpower Demo off Ft. DeRussy in Waikiki at 2:30pm.

Yeah!

It'd be nice if they surprise us with a cameo appearance by an F-22 Raptor squadron... the future wings of the Hawaii Air National Guard.
    Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!!! Where to watch from?!!!! Diamond Head? Waterfront Beach Park? Aloha Tower Market Place? My surfboard in the lineup at Numbah Trees? Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!!! Where to watch from?!!!! Diamond Head? Waterfront Beach Park? Aloha Tower Market Place? My surfboard in the lineup at Numbah Trees? Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!
      The main "staging area" will be in front of Ft. DeRussy (on the beach fronting Hale Koa Hotel), which is where probably most of the stunts will be at a "crossing point" (Knife-edge pass, etc.). Yet the formation team should be enjoyable to watch over the entire span of Waikiki beach's coastline. Something unavoidable when you're flying just below Mach.

I doubt you'd see much as far as Ala Moana or further Ewa or as far as Diamond Head or further east. Probably just fighter or two making a turnaround, but at higher, climbing altitudes.

I watched their performance over Waikiki back in 1997 on the rooftop of our building, which is just minutes away from DeRussy. They pulled some pretty tight maneuvers at that show. Whoever was staying at the Hale Koa, Hilton, Outrigger or Halekulani must have not only watched, but FELT that show!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        The main "staging area" will be in front of Ft. DeRussy (on the beach fronting Hale Koa Hotel), which is where probably most of the stunts will be at a "crossing point" (Knife-edge pass, etc.). Yet the formation team should be enjoyable to watch over the entire span of Waikiki beach's coastline. Something unavoidable when you're flying just below Mach.

I doubt you'd see much as far as Ala Moana or further Ewa or as far as Diamond Head or further east. Probably just fighter or two making a turnaround, but at higher, climbing altitudes.

I watched their performance over Waikiki back in 1997 on the rooftop of our building, which is just minutes away from DeRussy. They pulled some pretty tight maneuvers at that show. Whoever was staying at the Hale Koa, Hilton, Outrigger or Halekulani must have not only watched, but FELT that show!
        We watched from the wall at Kakaako Beach Park. It was magnificent. Amazing!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          We watched from the wall at Kakaako Beach Park. It was magnificent. Amazing!
          Wow. Never thought they'd stay low enough that far out.

To get a good idea what to expect, here's a pretty good (35 minute!) amateur video of the USAF Thunderbirds performing at Dover AFB (Delaware) in a 2006 air show.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That 1997 show was great.
            Friends of mine had been cruising the South Pacific for a few years and happened to be at the guest dock at Hawai`i Yacht Club in the Ala Wai, so we watched the show from there.
            Not sure if I can make it on 9/17, but I can still look forward to the Blue Angels over on this side of the rock in October! Sure would be awesome to see both shows so close together, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Pomai! We've seen the Thunderbirds a few times, and every time is as exciting as the first. Double yeah!

Comment

On October 13 & 14 the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will be doing a couple shows at the Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

We are very lucky to have the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels shows back to back this year. What a treat!

Comment

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki x 3!!!

Thunderbirds are go for 3 shows

The first two times will be on Thursday as the six F-16 Fighting Falcons, wings and tails painted a patriotic red and blue, practice their aerial maneuvers for Saturday's grand finale. All three demonstrations will be held off the beach fronting the military's Hale Koa Hotel. Saturday's show is expected to run little more than an hour as the Air Force pilots perform 30 maneuvers -- some bringing the jets within inches of each other at 500 mph.

The Thursday sessions -- at 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m
                    Cool! If you have Thursday off and are into this kinda' thing, check it out! I just might take the day off for this.

The main show will be at Ft. DeRussy (Waikiki) on Saturday, September 15 @ 2:30pm.

Here's the streetlight banner(s) they have up in Waikiki for the event...

I think they replaced them already though with Aloha Festivals banners.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm hoping to check this out too! In 2003 I was with my daughthers and their friends, we saw them fly over from the leeward side towards Waikiki....we were headed east on H1 and WOW what a treat! I never saw four teenaged girls quiet and guled to the car windows!
                      Lovena

Comment

I'll be on the 40th floor of my Waikiki building watching .

Comment

2PM today they'll be doing a flyover to check the area~ This island is so small that I would think just to be outside that one may....see them doing a turnaround or something. I can hope
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Well, shoot. Diamond Head will be closed. That's where I was planning on going. On to "Plan B".

Anyone know when Ala Moana Park will re-open to the public? Usually it's closed for the Aloha Week Parade.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              2PM today they'll be doing a flyover to check the area~ This island is so small that I would think just to be outside that one may....see them doing a turnaround or something. I can hope
                              From work I can see the planes take off and I heard the first two, but got to see the second and third pairs launch toward heaven take a spin and head toward the Waianaes--and that was for its test run over the Waikiki showbox. I am so excited about this! Last night Kim Gennaula told us all that she'll be going up with the Tbirds on Saturday. So, while I don't officially hate Mrs. Guy Hagi, at this point I am so jealous I'm ready to write a column about it, haha!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X