X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    I just read that article and thought the same thing! That should have been on the front page in big letters!

Blaine
    Could you imagine the Oahu warriors protesting the arrival of Kamehameha? Oh wait they did.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Could you imagine the Oahu warriors protesting the arrival of Kamehameha? Oh wait they did.
      Yes, they did. They had their say, then Kamehameha I moved right on in and picked the spot for his hale.
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Thanks for the clarifications, Doug! Though an EA is less involved as an EIS, are the estimates of the time one would take still accurate? Or is everyone thinking EIS incorrectly?
        IIRC, the law requires certain minimum time periods for publishing an announcement and gathering the information/comments. My guess would be months for an EA, but possibly weeks. An EA is something that could, in theory, have been close to completed by HSF in advance, but the time limits would still apply.

An EIS, on the other hand, would be hard to (correctly) draft in advance because an EIS needs to solicit, research, and respond to the full range of public concerns/comments. Many of those topics are already known, but more could emerge.

My guess is that HSF would not rush the EA because of the risk that the Court (which, as I understand it, intends to remain a player in this process) could make them do a more complete draft or, worst case for HSF, require an EIS.

Comment

Hawaii Superferry leaves on her inaugural commercial passenger voyage to Maui early this morning.

Alaka'i blew her horn as she made a pass near NCL's incoming Pride of Aloha cruise ship.

More photos at my Flickr Superferry album.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

what's funny about NCL's ships is when the dock here in Hilo, you see a few brave tourists attempt to walk to Hilo Hattie's up the road from the docks.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Right on, Mel. You are too good! Nice shots captured a historic moment.

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                I find this attempt by HSF to jump the gun by starting service before the environmentalists can file their legal motions very questionable. Its like they are trying the flaunt the decision made by the Hawaii Supreme Court.
                It's part of the game of chess. I can think of a couple of reasons for doing so. First, I suspect the courts are less likely to shutdown something that's operating then something that has yet to start. Or, if they did, HSF's lawsuit would have more standing or at least greater reward. It would prove that nothing else stood in the way of starting.

Second, I think it gives some real data on the impact of the HSF. You don't have to be a chess master to see what's coming. A EA/EIS will have to be done and the no-sayers will challenge those numbers substituting the worst case scenario for fact. (Perhaps unloading the entire SF in one traffic light cycle ) With the HSF running, it's gives a reality check to those numbers. The no-sayers can't be as extreme and the residents can separate reality from hype.

The $5 fare was a good move! It's hard for people to complain too loudly about the final kinks that need to be worked out when they get that cheap a fare. Given the sudden moving up of the starting date, they needed to provide incentive to get things rolling. Most people have to plan things at least a week in advance if not more. And a lightly loaded ferry would make everyone doubters about the long term prospects.

The airlines are staying out of it because the don't want to get into a 4-way fare war. They can do so because they see the HFS and airline as a different product.

Comment

There already are preparations being made for an EIS in conjunction with the Year 2030 Master Plan for Kahului Harbor. In this "Environmental Impact Preparation Statement" issued in Feb. of this year, there are 3 alternatives being studied: Alternative A-Expand Piers 1, 2, and 4 for cargo operations and development of the west breakwater for passenger operations; Alternative B-Cargo at West breakwater and passenger operations at Pier 2; or no changes. Under this alternative, a new Pier 4, already approved under the 2025 Master Plan will still be constructed to accomodate offloading of fuel. The EIS that is the result of the studying of the alternatives is the one that's supposed to be delivered last month by Belt Collins. HSF doesn't have to have its own EIS because they are included in this general EIS for Kahului Harbor.

Alternatives 1 or 2 will require some major kala from the State for improving the West breakwater and dredging of the harbor. More than likely it will come down to choosing either Alternative A or B because every harbor user is concerned about the current mix of passenger and cargo use within the same general area (safety concern for people) and because of the parking issues.

Miulang

P.S. Here's an interesting series of articles from the Hawai'i State Chambers of Commerce that describes how critical timely management of all harbor resources will be to the continued growth of the State.
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 26, 2007, 10:45 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Looking at Mel's photo about the SuperFerry passing the NCL ship and you see the size of the SuperFerry is smaller when compared to a cruise ship.

And when it docks at a pier (either on Maui or Kauai) it's stay on the pier is only about 1 to 1-1/2 hours not an entire night.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      the no-sayers will challenge those numbers substituting the worst case scenario for fact.
                      Shoots, there's been one mainland person doing that here on HT for months and months already. Lots of innuendo and guesses and maybes, without any hard facts. Never won her any points or converts, but. Won her plenny scorn.

The great news is that continual long-term observation of all print and broadcast media (and several intelligent message boards) very clearly shows that a very high majority of residents want the SuperFerry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Any reports on the arrival of the first voyage? Wondering how many protesters are there and what traffic has been created? Everyone's had their say, let's see some real numbers.

Comment

Follow the money. If you are interested, here is a recording of the hearing before the Hawai'i Supreme Court that resulted in the Court's reversal of Judge Cardoza's earlier ruling (thanks, GH! ) It's about 1 1/2 hours long.

And here's the judgment from the Court (the matter goes back to the Circuit courts, and a request for an injunction will be filed tomorrow on Maui).

Oh, those wacko Garden Isle people!

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; August 26, 2007, 12:16 PM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds like the trip was rather uneventful which is great.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...750368194.html

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Sounds like the trip was rather uneventful which is great.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...750368194.html
                              This last sentence in that story sounds like most people just went holoholo for the day and got right back on the boat, though?

Once arriving on Maui, passengers off-loaded, but then returned to the vessel for the return trip to Oahu. The ferry left Maui at 11 a.m. and was due back on Oahu about 2 p.m.
                              Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                This last sentence in that story sounds like most people just went holoholo for the day and got right back on the boat, though?

Miulang
                                Considering the launch of service today was only a development just a day or two ago, I'm sure most folks made the travel plans last min. The point I'm more interested in is the impact at the harbor. And it sounds like it wasn't a big impact at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X