Food gifts from Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food gifts from Hawaii

I'll be traveling to North America and visiting old college friends along the way. I want to give them omiyage but have no idea what to get. I want to bring something special that they may not have had before, and couldn't easily get on their own. (Chocolate macadamia nuts are out - they're yummy, but too easily gotten in any big city.) Any ideas? Locals, what have you given that is unusual and has really gone over well?

Re: Food gifts from Hawaii

Maybe a collection of local coffees, some from Kona, some from Kauai, if Maui or Oahu grow coffee get them too. Assumung that they drink coffee of course.

Comment

get the SPECIAL EDITION spam cans with the spam musubi and hawaii stuffs on it. collectors edition, cheap, and easy to pack!!!

Comment

Ha! The Hawaii Spam cans are a great idea, especially for ex-islanders. Definitely can't get 'em anywhere else... Coffee is another good one, maybe those "boutique" brands. What about li hing stuff, is that at all popular outside of Hawaii? I guess it must be, since we bring it in from China. And then a friend of mine recommended Hurricane Popcorn packets...

Comment

If they're beer-drinkers, how about some local brews? It's a lot of weight to be hauling around, but it's pretty unique.

If your friends are from Hawaii, 'though it's not a food item, I think the stick-less rice paddles would be great gifts.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I agree with Helen, my "haole" friends always dig the Kona Mac Nut kine coffee.

Comment

I always tend to go to places like Wholesale Unlimited and buy interesting munchies like different kinds of arare or wasabi-flavored stuff if they can tolerate spicy.

Costco also carries an interesting assortment of local snacks, too. One of my favorites is the Tempura Nori!

Comment

Here's another idea, if you're going to see your friends soon (say, within twelve hours of leaving Hawaii). Go to a favorite plate-lunch place (or restaurant) and order the signature dish (katsu or lemon chicken from L&L, or garlic chicken from Mitsu-Ken, for example), wrap it in foil, pack it in a cooler, and take THAT.

A friend of mine who lived in Seattle for a few years is in love with a sausage place called Schultzie's, and whenever a friend flies back from Seattle to visit here, the friend will bring back a Shultzie's, with onions and peppers.

You know, they sell laulau and Zippy's chili frozen, too. That might be cool.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I know what I would want from back home... Definitely li hing mui and mochi crunch, cause nobody around here has ever heard of it. Also, Hawaiian Sun drinks. When I went back home last July, I don't think I drank anything but Hawaiian Sun. My mom sent us back with some of the frozen concentrate Hawaiian Sun drink mixes. Sadly, that is all pau already.

Zippy's chili is awesome too. My dad just sent me some, and it was ono. In fact, Zippys.com has a lot of food stuffs available for order online. I've also seen malasada kits somewhere online. Of course, I don't know if any of your friends would like any of this. But being a dislocated local, that's the kind of stuff I would love to get.
                  Free iPod
                  Free Flatscreen

Comment

"Zippy's chili is awesome too."

Well, just don't send it to anyone from Texas.

Comment

Hawaiian Kine Food!

Woohoo!!!!

I just ran into a really great girl working at a sandwich shop here in Vegas, Capriottis', and she took the time to actually write down a list of the places I can go to find locals running a bunch of fast food joints. Needless to say, my friends out here thought I was nutz, BUT you gotta do what you gotta do.

Found me some manapua, pasteles, chicken katsu plates, even a place that makes a linguisa omelet. Wow, broke the mouth.

Vegas has sooo many locals here that I am constantly running into someone who knows someone I know. Well, you know how that goes! And it only took me five months to get all this info. Man I must be getting slow in my old age.

Gotta catch up on some great grinds and lay off the biscuits and gravy.

Aloha from Vegas baby,

KA'IMI

Comment

Working...
                      X