Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 17th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb The Food Network

This is the thread to talk anything and everything about The Food Network!

Talk about your favorite shows and chefs. Or complain about those that set your kitchen on fire.

The Food Network has become an icon of modern American television and an incredible source of learning the world of culinary arts.

Have fun!

http://www.foodtv.com

Last edited by Pomai; November 17th, 2005 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added URL
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: The Food Network

To start, a few of my favorites...

Molto Mario
- Mario Batali's knowledge of the various cooking styles by region in Italy is captivating. His cooking is rustic and authentic. His delivery educational, yet witty. Excellent in every way.

Good Eats
- Alton Brown's entertainment approach to food science is brilliant.

Unwrapped
- It's like reliving elementary school excursions to the local food factory in every episode.

Paula's Home Cooking
- Southern comfort food. Paula Deen's personality. Winner.

Last edited by Pomai; November 17th, 2005 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Clarified list
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Ali`i

I love the Food Network!

Emeril Live is my Favorite

I also love Racheal Ray and how she loves cooking food for her "Sweetie" with a lot of EVOO!
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Ali`i

I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to Kilinahe Send a message via MSN to Kilinahe Send a message via Yahoo to Kilinahe

I was just thinking about Rosengarten the other day. At the time, I wasn't crazy about him, but for some reason, I kind of miss him. He was so articulate and funny.
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?
Me too. David Rosengarten had class. Cool set too, with the simple stainless steel counters and shelves. He was articulate about wine pairing, which was different than the other shows at the time.

His webpage tells alot about him here...
http://www.davidrosengarten.com/cont...ype=site&id=12

Also, what happened to East Meet West with Ming Tsai? Poor ratings? He was good, except a little on the complex side.

Bobby Flay looked humiliated when Ming Tsai beat him on Iron Chef America. Good for him.

Bobby Flay.. arrgggghhhh.
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to Kilinahe Send a message via MSN to Kilinahe Send a message via Yahoo to Kilinahe

Ming has his own show on PBS now. I like his PBS show much better because Ming has a way of explaining things that isn't well suited to a show with commercials. It's so easy to lose track of Ming's progress when there are commercials every five minutes. It's way easier to follow him now.

I don't mind Bobby. He's kind of cocky, but he's mellowed a lot. His apprearance on Iron Chef America when he went against Morimoto was so embarrassing. He was really obnoxious.

I don't know what happened to Rachael. She's so weird now. If you watch her shows from a few years ago, she's really normal-looking and much more collected and easygoing. She's so hyper and her movements are so over-exaggerated in the last couple years. I think she's working too hard.
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinahe
I don't know what happened to Rachael. She's so weird now. If you watch her shows from a few years ago, she's really normal-looking and much more collected and easygoing. She's so hyper and her movements are so over-exaggerated in the last couple years. I think she's working too hard.
Yes! I used to really like her but she has gotten weird. About the time she got the highlights, she started acting like she was on drugs (that's how I can tell, at a glance, if it's old Rachael or new Rachael). She certainly is working hard, what with her 3 Food Network shows, her magazine, and her upcoming talk show, not to mention her recent wedding. I leafed through her magazine the other day and it's as scattered as she is. It's like they tried to fit a year's worth of information into one issue.

Food Network is the only non-HBO television I watch. I find cooking shows to be really relaxing at the end of a long day. My favorite Food Network hosts are Paula Deen, Ina Garten, Alton Brown and Michael Chiarello. I can't stand Bobby Flay (why does he put mango in EVERYTHING?), and Dave Lieberman is too twitchy. I like watching Sandra Lee, though she's more in the I-can't-believe-she-just-did-that category.

In fact, I watch so much Food Network that I started blogging about it a few weeks ago: http://armchaircook.blogspot.com
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Ali`i

Great idea for a thread! Hubby and I watch Food TV pretty regularly - he likes Giada of Everyday Italian (I wonder why???) and Bobby Flay because of that whole grilling thing and he also makes cool cocktails.

We only watch Rachel Ray until she utters the word "up" or "evoo" and then we change the channel - usually takes less than a minute. I've heard that there are drinking games associated with her show that revolve around the same premise.

I like Alton Brown for the knowledge but his recipes never work as well as you'd think - just goes to show that cooking (other than baking & pastry) is more than precision and soul is important. Tyler Florence's shows when he was traveling were great. I also liked Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour".

If you've cooked many of the recipes shown, whose work out the best? I've found that Tyler's are very good and so are Ina Garten's.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Ali`i

Absolutely hate Emeril (overexposed), Bobby Flay (too cocky), Iron Chef America (don't like the MC Mark). Don't like that new series with the 2 gay guys either...who entertains at home with cocktail parties anymore?

Tolerate Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals (not her yappy dining with the stars series, though, which I hate, and hate her Dining on $40 a day...she did an episode on Maui which was absymal, although I know where that Vietnamese restaurant she ate at is down the street from my parent's house), Paula Deen, Molto Mario and Giada DeLaurentis.

Like Alain Bourdain and his freaky travels and food (sometimes seen on the Travel Channel), Alton Brown (because I like his science), Al Roker when he does his specials, all the pastry and baking contest specials (unless they are the 1000th rerun of the same show). Love Tyler Florence because he's adorable (like Food 911 but don't like How to Boil Water), and the Secret Life of ... I used to like Gale Gand's series too.

I usually don't use any of the recipes from the shows because I don't usually do that kind of cooking. I view the Food Channel as entertainment, not necessarily as education or a way to get a recipe.

Miulang
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp
I also liked Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour".

If you've cooked many of the recipes shown, whose work out the best? I've found that Tyler's are very good...
Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour" is cool. He spins his travel adventures with a hardcore New Yorker's perspective. He usually explores the unbeaten path in the culinary world, sometimes trying extreme cuisine that would make Fear Factor proud. Fun show.

Tyler Florence' Food 911 is a riot. It's as much a show about him flirting with his usually attractive female guests as much as it is about showing them how to cook. Yet, his tips are totally educational and I've learned quite a few culinary tips watching that show.

Recently I've done Giada's (Everyday Italian) Stuffed Manicotti dish. I followed it for the most part, but doctored it (I'm famous for that). Her version used mostly sausage and meats, but I changed it up with more spinach and Mozzarella Cheese. Needless to say, it was a hit with our guests.
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ali`i

Today on How to Boil Water, Tyler Florence teaches how to BRINE a turkey.

This is the secret to a flavorful, moist and tender roasted turkey.

Basically you need to dissolve salt and sugar in boiling water, let it cool, then place the turkey in the brine water and let it go overnight.

See the Food Network website for exact procedure.

For us, we're not worried. The Hyatt's got ours covered (pun intended).
Old November 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ali`i

We've been brining pork for quite awhile now and it really helps keep the meat juicy during cooking. We like to add other seasonings including cracked black pepper corns, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. A not so tasty experiment was the fish sauce based brine - I overdid the fish sauce.

I think I'll brine the turkey this year (no luck finding the whole turkey breast, bummer).

BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp
[...] BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.
I go thru phases with crockpot cooking. I'm not one to leave the house for 8-10 hours with the crockpot on but as long as I'm home or at least in and out during the day, I'm not concerned. I have yet to burn down this concrete block structure!
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Ali`i

Default Gingerbread Houses, Island Style

They're re-running a Gingerbread "House" competition.

My favorite is the one that was like a wedding cake, sliced 1/3 out with an "Elf's House" sticking out back. Cool concept!

This show had me thinking how cool it would be to do one on Hawaii. Gingerbread "houses" based on Hawaii landmarks. Such as, Aloha Tower, Iolani Palace and State Capitol. That kinda' stuff.

Every island has so many interesting landmarks to inspire Gingerbread "houses".
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Ali`i

I think it was a couple of years ago... there was a show where most of the hosts were inside each creating a holiday dish and they had Bobby Flay grilling outside in the snow... they only cut to him just to laugh at him it seems.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Ali`i

If you're in need of a laugh this afternoon, check out this link which shows what happens when Giada takes a bite of something really, really awful. I wonder if the set person swapped the sugar for salt. Giada in Pain
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Haumana

My favorite is Paula's Home Cooking too. I loved her Christmas show, I cried, it was good episode and her home is so beautiful. She has a wonderful family. She had a nice tall christmas tree and it was decorated so pretty. The dinner she prepared looked fabulous.
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Been enjoying Alton's special spinoff series, "Feasting on Asphalt." It's another side of Alton, a little less scripted, a little more real. Traveling coast to coast on two wheels (can't imagine he'll hop a plane to Hawaii, sadly) to sample road food, homestyle cooking, eschewing interstates for Route 66. Gotta say, his elevator pitch for the show sounds a bit like the "highways and byways" stuff from "Cars." The Mac nerd in me loves that he's using some familiar Apple templates in editing the show. Apparently, the next episode is the one where he takes a bit of a spill!

We're big fans of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations." Okay, it's not Food Network, but he started there (and hated it!). Grumpy, snarky, chain-smoking New Yorker wanders often obscure international locations in search of a place's soul through its food. And it turns out an upcoming episode will be pretty unusual -- he was in Lebanon the week fighting broke out.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
Don't like that new series with the 2 gay guys either...who entertains at home with cocktail parties anymore?

I usually don't use any of the recipes from the shows because I don't usually do that kind of cooking. I view the Food Channel as entertainment, not necessarily as education or a way to get a recipe.

Miulang
Um, I throw cocktail parties...try to throw one at least once a year, actually. I can't cook and HATE cooking, so food-related parties are not of interest to me, unless I'm invited as a guest. Civilized alcohol-fueled parties are much more my style (throwing a kegger party in college was much easier, though, I must admit, than planning cocktail parties!). However, I don't like that show with the two gay guys either--they're just trying too hard, and it looks painful on camera.

I also like the Food network for entertainment purposes only. It's a bunch of people making stuff I'd never cook (if I ever suddenly felt an urge to cook, anyway)--but it sure whets my appetite to go out to eat. And Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel is great. I'm disappointed that I missed the two-parter where he was in India.

My boyfriend, who cooks really well, sometimes picks up tips from the Food network shows, especially Molto Mario, since he likes making Italian food. He can't stand Rachael, and Giada he likes watching for eye candy, though he doesn't care for her cooking technique. Both of us enjoy Paula Dean--watching her pour all that butter/cream into every recipee makes us laugh every time! I LOVE Southern food, but I'd prefer NOT to know how much it's making my arteries clog up.

Last edited by AbsolutChaos; August 14th, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN on Kapahulu ave. was recently featured on THE SECRET LIFE OF... DRIVE-INS with Jim O'Connor. He toured the kitchen with owner Mr. Gusukuma, where he was explained the basics of a plate lunch, made note of their famous Rainbow Royal Burger then given a sample of their popular Loco Moco bowl.

After watching this on TV back home in the states, imagine the tourists coming in and asking, "May I have one of them Laka Maka's".

FEASTING ON ASPHALT is fun too. Funny how Alton's insistent on using props, like that pull-down US Map Chart. He seems to like playing do-it-yourself cameraman in this series.

Last edited by Pomai; August 14th, 2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: wrong show name
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Kumu

I understand FOOD is on Dish satellite in high definition, now. Anybody here seen the HD version?
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Ali`i

I enjoy Feasting on Asphalt except it's a little hard to hear when Alton is talking as he's riding his motorcycle (or perhaps I'm just getting old and hard of hearing) The ep where he ate a pig brain sandwhich made me think of what Tony Bourdain would have done eating a pig brain sandwhich, but I liked that Alton admitted he didn't like it but that maybe that's what made it special is that it was something special only to a select group of people who had developed a taste for it.
Old August 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Kia`aina

I love absolutely anything with Alton Brown, EXCEPT for Iron Chef America, which I can't stand, mostly because I hate Bobby Flay (I, too, find him way too arrogant and cocky. If he didnt have mango or blue corn in his kitchen, he'd be so lost), but there's just something about the original that is so much better to me. I also can't stand Giada - her head is way too big. Racheal is OK. Paula Deen reminds me a ton of my mother (my mom isn't from the South tho). Just loud, happy, and funny. Yesterday, she made this fried chicken with a glaze that was made with 2 sticks of butter and kept repeating that it wasnt her recipe because she didn't want viewers to email her about how unhealthy it was. If you missed the Paula special on her going to France, you missed out on some good comedy and I even cried at the end. Her special was better than Ina Garten's, imo, but Ina's wasn't bad, just a different spin (they even went ot the same market in both shows).

Ming is on Fine Living now in the mornings on a show called "Ming's Quest" which I like.

I dont like their wedding shows. The behind the scenes stuff is kind of interesting, but ends up boring me about 10 mins later.

Tyler Florence is a hoot. And so is Jim O'Conner - I cant figure out if he acts dumb just for camera's sake or if he really is clueless with some of the food items people put in front of him. Either way, I think he's great. Oh and Ham on the Street - I never stop laughing and it keeps me thinkin. George Duran is a kick.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Kumu

Bobby Flay used to make me want to punch him in the nose. When he was on that Grillin' and Chillin' show with that good ol' Southern boy in the overalls, Bobby was just WAY too condescending. Perhaps the eager-to-please Southerner didn't graduate from the CIA, but there was NO cause for Bobby to be such a jerk to him.
He used to be sorta snarky with Jacqui Malouf, too, which I didn't like -- though I didn't really think she added too much to the show they did.
I've gotten used to Flay since then -- but he's still pretty arrogant and cocky.
Amusing Alton, the yummy Tyler Florence and silly/funny Jim O'Connor -- as well as the Ham on the Street guy -- are also among my favorites.
Emeril can be a bit repetitive and tiresome but he's an undisputed rock star and I give him props for being entertaining overall.
Ina Garten has an incredible presence on-camera, IMHO. Great eyes and a really good teacher -- her Barefoot Contessa shows made me feel like she was just talking to ME. That's not a trait one can buy.
I'm not a huge Giada fan but some of her food looks really good. I just have to wonder if she really ever eats more than a bite of it. (Too skinny!)
I absolutely ADORE Paula Deen. I can't say enough about her. I would love to just hang out with her, or with her and her sons. (I like them on TV when they're with her, but I saw a couple of their shows without her and I didn't like them as well.)
Her special about her trip to Paris was AWESOME. I laughed, I sighed, I cried too.
Yeah, that TWO sticks of butter recipe couldn't possibly be hers. HERS normally "only" use ONE stick of butter.