Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Ali`i

Default A Language Question

Honi = both kiss and sniff. Lately I have wondered if it might be because the traditional Hawaiian kiss might have been Eskimo style rubbing noses rather than lip locks. Any ideas?
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: A Language Question

A friend explained that a Hawaiian kiss means foreheads together and noses rubbing side by side. She is not thrilled with the lip lock style of kissing. So honi could mean 'use the nose' both for the nose kissing and for sniffing, "E honi ke-ia loke." Interesting. Not every culture lip locks as a sign of affection.
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ali`i

Smile Re: A Language Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
Honi = both kiss and sniff. Lately I have wondered if it might be because the traditional Hawaiian kiss might have been Eskimo style rubbing noses rather than lip locks. Any ideas?
As your presiding cultural anthropologist who does not pretend to know everything I present my perception:

Hawaiians with certain degrees of familiarity greeted one another by putting their cheeks together (L to L, R to R) and gently inhaling through the nose. This was their version of kissing. and usually included both sides: one side, than the other, a 'double sniff' in ha`ole terms.

The purpose of this was the share and exchange the mana that was contained in each breath, and the trust embodied in sharing YOUR mana with another.

It is equivalent to exposing all your secrets with another; showing your trust for them and accepting their trust of you.

This is so much more intimate than sharing saliva, and a beautiful ritual.

I daily see Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians sharing Honi, and I use it, exclusively (aside from my spouse) in Hawai`i, anyway.

Even Barry and I, in London, shared this greeting. Barry was akamai.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.