Food shortages on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food shortages on the way?

San Jose, CA. bay area/silicon valley area Costco has now posted signs asking customers to not buy too much, to please follow their "regular habits" in shopping for rice. Here's the link to the story...

http://www.nbc11.com/news/15953044/detail.html
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      San Jose, CA. bay area/silicon valley area Costco has now posted signs asking customers to not buy too much, to please follow their "regular habits" in shopping for rice. Here's the link to the story...

http://www.nbc11.com/news/15953044/detail.html
      Yeah please limit yourself to no less than $100 or one full cart which ever comes first.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I hope that it's just a scare people sensationalized headline news story like the Y2K hype.

Comment

"By Nicole Maestri

NEW YORK, April 23 (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc's (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Sam's Club warehouse division said on Wednesday it is limiting sales of several types of rice, the latest sign that fears of a rice shortage are rippling around the world.

Sam's Club, the No. 2 U.S. warehouse club operator, said it is limiting sales of Jasmine, Basmati and long grain white rice "due to recent supply and demand trends."

U.S. rice futures hitting an all-time high Wednesday on worries about supply shortages."

And...from the Washington Times...

"Americans hoard food as industry seeks regs
          By Patrice Hill
          April 23, 2008

Farmers and food executives appealed fruitlessly to federal officials yesterday for regulatory steps to limit speculative buying that is helping to drive food prices higher. Meanwhile, some Americans are stocking up on staples such as rice, flour and oil in anticipation of high prices and shortages spreading from overseas."

Comment

Wall street journal and some good "food for thought."

"By BRETT ARENDS

Load Up the Pantry
            April 21, 2008 6:47 p.m.

I don't want to alarm anybody, but maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

No, this is not a drill.

You've seen the TV footage of food riots in parts of the developing world. Yes, they're a long way away from the U.S. But most foodstuffs operate in a global market. When the cost of wheat soars in Asia, it will do the same here.

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic.."

rest of article here...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

Comment

On the KHNL news story on this the other day (Wed., April 23), the comments they read from the teleprompter said that the shortage was for jasmine rice in Thailand, which then spread to other countries in that area, and also to some African countries, and also in Haiti.

Then it all became political... about how Hawaii was going to surely feel the impact since we consume so much more rice here than other places... and this was after they had a clip from a spokeman from the California rice growers association who said that there was NO rice shortage!

So.. doesn't the calrose rice we locals enjoy come mostly from California? Is anyone feeling a real rice shortage now? Hard fo find in the stores? I tend to agree with the growers... there is a shortage, but only on certain kinds of rice. Seems like the retailers are just taking advantage of us, using headlines as scare tactics to get more money from us. What do you think?

Comment

No, I think the only thing that may cause a shortage in rice could be panic buying. No way is that happening now. I was in Walmart Mililani today and they had plenty of rice, in fact I think they had more of it than usual. Longs Mililani had a large box of white rice right on the floor and it was marked at a sale price.

This WSJ article is simply wisdom....investment analysts suggesting we stock up on food that doesn't easily spoil because the way prices are rising this is actually a better investment of our money than anywhere else, with the interest rates on investments so pitifully low.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  No, I think the only thing that may cause a shortage in rice could be panic buying. No way is that happening now. I was in Walmart Mililani today and they had plenty of rice, in fact I think they had more of it than usual. Longs Mililani had a large box of white rice right on the floor and it was marked at a sale price.

This WSJ article is simply wisdom....investment analysts suggesting we stock up on food that doesn't easily spoil because the way prices are rising this is actually a better investment of our money than anywhere else, with the interest rates on investments so pitifully low.
                  ====================
                  Message to people trying to hoard rice:
                  Stocking up on tons of rice is probably not a good idea since enevitably, you will end up with a house full of those little brown bugs that thrive on rice.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                    Stocking up on tons of rice is probably not a good idea since enevitably, you will end up with a house full of those little brown bugs that thrive on rice.
                    Valid issue, but it's just a matter of putting it in a bug tight container.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                      ====================
                      Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      For those who truly hoard rice, hopefully they have enough room to store multiple large, air tight, plastic containers as those buggies can get into just about anything else including the thickest leaf and garden bags. Me? I live in 400 sq. ft. with no garage. I'll buy one 5 lb. bag of brown rice and keep it in the fridge!

I never thought I'd see the day when a big bag of rice would outperform the stock market!

Comment

I don't hoard anything, but stockpiling? Nah, even that's an exaggeration of what I see wise to do.

Being amply stocked is wise, then when hurricane season arises there's not a lot of buying to do. As for rice, I have several smaller bags that are in those metal containers we buy during Christmas, and they have popcorn in them. Those! are great for storing rice in.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          Don't forget the worldwide price pressure on crops used to make ethanol.
                          I was thinking about that but isn't corn used to make ethanol? If so how does that affect those farmers growing rice and the supply of it?

Comment

Helen, the corn in ethanol doesn't affect rice growers, but it does affect overall food shortages per the thread title here. Our animals need a lot of corn to go into their feeds and right now farmers and ranchers are hurting cuz we actually are on the brink of a corn shortage. Right now it's like tripled in price...shortage to come?

There are other things than corn that can go into making fuels, but the corn lobby sure did get their way a few years back and congress was very stupid for falling for it.

Ethanol is a waste.....gas mileage on hiway and not being heavy footed.....actually goes down a little, least it has for us, and a few people we've heard from.

Comment

Has anyone heard of energy cells? There are buses on the mainland that run on them or something?
                              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                ==============
                                My experiences seem to indicate that the little brown bugs are already in the rice. So I do not purchase more than about 2 months supply at any given time. That way if I have to toss some infested rice, I don't feel too bad. Makes the birds outside my house happy too. Birds love bugs and rice...yum!

Comment

Working...
                                X