Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you choose jail or community service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you choose jail or community service?

I got the question from this thread, and it makes me wonder: if we did something that bad and we had to choose between going to jail for five days or 240 hours of community service, which would you choose?

Since I volunteered my time for six years in the Explorers program for community service, I of course choose to do community service. After I've seen the jails at the Pearl City and main police stations, I don't want to go there, even if its for one second.
    Jail time
    36.84%
    community service
    63.16%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: 5 days in Jail, or 240 hours of community service?

Assuming one works 8 hours a day for community service that 240 hours is going yield around 30 days.

Doing the 5 days in jail would be taking the fastest route.

Comment

Assuming one works 8 hours a day for community service that 240 hours is going yield around 30 days.

Doing the 5 days in jail would be taking the fastest route.
      I thought this too, that perhaps she wanted to get it over with as fast as possible. Or maybe it would be more embarrassing for her to do community service where many people might see her and it would be more likely for the media to pick up than if she just stayed in jail for 5 days.

eta: I think I'd pick community service, though. I wouldn't want to spend any time in jail if I could help it.
      Last edited by Adri; April 25, 2006, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I voted jail...

I don't know if I would want her working in my community.

It might be more of a distraction to the community service organization that she would assumably choose...the actual job she might assume might may be better handled and the job actually finished if it was assigned to someone else.

You would think that someone in her status could just "visit hospitals" on the weekends for say 5 hours a day... get it done in 10 hours per week... 40 hours per month and then just 6 months later she would be pau.

From what I've read... it looks like she may be facing tougher punishment in Cali for breaking probation.

Comment

I think doing community service changes your perspective, takes the "You" out of the center of the universe and makes you put others first. It's one of those things that is probably best experienced willingly as opposed to being forced to do it. I think of Rene Mansho. Not a great example, but I do think that her being in prison and working that gardening detail helped her get down to basics, thinking about soil as opposed to dirty politics.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            I voted jail...

I don't know if I would want her working in my community.
            [...]
            Hey, Manoa! The question is which would you choose for...YOU!

Michelle probably needs to get her punishment over with asap due to her shooting schedule. And she appears to me to be street wise enough to more than take care of herself at OCCC. Something tells me she doesn't have a warm-fuzzy side that could be brought to the surface with community service.

For me...community service! I used to visit a 'calabash kid' at WCCC. Oh Lordy...whatta horrible way to live.

Comment

Liberalism has made jail soft in the last 50 years. 5 days of working out, hot meals 3 times a day, lots of bed rest, no phones ringing, no children screaming, no alarm clock, no traffic jams. Sounds like easy street to me. And yes, I been to jail couple times.

But if I had it my way, you can be damn sure that convicts would do without clothing, warm meals, or blankets and mattresses. Jail should be an ULTRA miserable place. But today's jails have TV, weight room, b-ball courts, hot water showers, and a host of other unnecessary things that were created by "soft-hearts" and paid for by taxpayers.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                Liberalism has made jail soft in the last 50 years. 5 days of working out, hot meals 3 times a day, lots of bed rest, no phones ringing, no children screaming, no alarm clock, no traffic jams. Sounds like easy street to me. And yes, I been to jail couple times.

But if I had it my way, you can be damn sure that convicts would do without clothing, warm meals, or blankets and mattresses. Jail should be an ULTRA miserable place. But today's jails have TV, weight room, b-ball courts, hot water showers, and a host of other unnecessary things that were created by "soft-hearts" and paid for by taxpayers.

Gee Mr. TimKona -

Care to expand on the reason why you quote on quote..."I been to jail couple times..."

Not only an offensive poster...but a criminal maybe???

Or let me guess... you were just visiting a co-hort?

Nah my bad... I bet your an attorney? hahaha
                Last edited by damontucker; April 25, 2006, 09:54 PM. Reason: clarifying direct quote

Comment

Just bench warrants ....ignoring court was the real problem. Funny how the judge don't like it when you don't show up.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                    Pleeeeeeeaaase... the state isn't going to put her in general population. She'll be in protective custody.
                    Do they have protective custody in Female jails here?

TimKona... care to answer?

Comment

Wow she was given a choice? How thoughtful of the judge.

If i was the judge I would give her a choice then make her do the other one.

Back on topic, I think I would do the community service rather than do the 5 days in jail. I think I would go crazy just being "locked" up for even a day or two.

Comment

I'd choose jail, then write a column about it, then get a really good tax guy so I could write it off on April 15.

Unless I could count my time in HT, educating the public, as community service.

Haaaaa!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          Just bench warrants ....ignoring court was the real problem. Funny how the judge don't like it when you don't show up.
                          How many 24 hour periods for your bench warrants?

Maybe jail isn't worse in consideration of the guards who have to deal with these people on a daily basis.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Do you get to choose community service? Or does the judge do it for you?
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

How many 24 hour periods for your bench warrants?

One time I got pinched while soaking in my hot tub on a wednesday evening. Turns out there was no room for me in court. And it was a 3 day weekend. So I sat until Tuesday morning, then sat all day Tuesday waiting for paperwork to clear.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                              X