Tess Gerritsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tess Gerritsen

Has anyone read anything by Tess Gerritsen?

I've seen her stuff in bookstores, and I just got a positive review of one of her books from a coworker, and since she seems to focus on "medical thrillers," I was thinking I'd give her work a shot.

That's when I found out that Gerritsen's first forays into writing were made here in Honolulu, while working as a physician. After winning the Honolulu Magazine fiction contest, there was no stopping her. She gave up practicing medicine and moved to the Mainland to write full-time.

Her latest book, "Body Double," came out in August.

Re: Tess Gerritsen

Funny you should ask about this author. I just finished reading two of her books: The Surgeon & the Apprentice. Both very vivid with BLOOD descriptions, almost too much for me, but I couldn't put either one down and they are meant to be read in that order. It was the first time for me to read this author. She's more descriptive than either James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell (if you are familiar with their writings). I enjoy mystery, espionage type fiction so this author was just blood and guts for me...but I can handle it and move on.
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I just finished reading Body Double last week which the main character is a medical examiner who investigates the murder of her identical twin that she didn't know existed as both were adopted at birth. It was a quick read and I'll probably read the other books that Mocha mentioned.
      Send POI

Comment

My coworker just finished "Body Double" yesterday, and I finished the first chunk of "Gravity" last night. I like it so far. Thing is, the "space" part is more interesting to me than the "medicine" part, making me wonder if I'd stick with this author.

Gerritsen at least shovels all her jargon in batches, and doesn't overwhelm the story with it. I quickly stopped checking the glossary (!) and just went with the flow... I think I can get the gist of what's going on without parsing a sentence packed with six acronyms.

Comment

I guess the author doesn't subscribe to National Novel Writing Month method not doing the acronyms in the novel.

Comment

Re: Tess Gerritsen residence

I have a question. I just saw Tess Gerritsen on Tavis Smiley. During the interview she said she began as a romance writer.

There was once an article in the Windward Sun Press about a romance writer living in my neighborhood, Ahuimanu (aka Valley of the Temples, Kaneohe.) I wonder if it was her. When she lived in Hawaii, where did Ms. Gerritsen reside? Does anyone know?

Mahalo.

My son now lives in new Hampshire and I'll be visiting him during Thanksgiving. We plan to visit a cousin in Maine. I wonder if we'll be near the "small town" where Ms. Gerritsen lives now. Her boys must be around college age, I wonder where they are going... Well, lots of people have Hawaii connections. This just peaked my curiosty.

If Tess Gerritsen was not the writer who lived in Ahuimanu area, I wonder who it was? (I thought she was haole, but maybe the surname threw me off...)

Comment

I had purchased a Rizzoli & Isles short story titled Freaks writen by Tess Gerritsen right around the time I start my Nook PC application but never bothered to read it until eariler this week.

The length of the story was kind of short, too short to make it as a complete TV episode of the series.

However one of these days I will at least try to pick up one of the other works that she has done that deals with Rizzoli or Isles.

Comment

The topic of doppelgangers is a deep concept.
                Twins are seen as Gemini in the stars above.

Very entertaining read.

Comment

Working...
                X