How do YOU make sticky rice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU make sticky rice?

Now, I guess there's no right way to make sticky rice, because I'm sure more than one person has reached perfection. But I'm curious to know the methods other people swear by.

Do you use a rice cooker? steamer? or a pot? Do you use "sticky rice"? Calrose? Long grain or short grain? Do you measure the water by 2-to-1 ratio, or do you use the finger method? Do you always wash the rice till the water runs clear? Do you cook it for 20 minutes or 30 minutes?

To be fair, I'll go first. My dad always used a rice cooker and the finger method. He always washed the rice first. We don't have a rice cooker, so I use a pot. I used to measure with the finger method, but since I use different sized pots all the time, I measure 2-to-1 now. Sometimes I wash the rice, sometimes I don't--it depends on if I'm in the mood or not. And I buy a local Louisiana brand long grain. I cook 20 minutes, and my rice is consistently sticky.

I figure I could improve my methods, so that's why I'm asking you!
    ~'Ailina

Re: How do YOU make sticky rice?

I "cheat" and use a rice cooker, BUT I know how to cook rice in the pot, cuz small kid time that's how it was done. Your method sounds like how I used to do it. I use short grained rice and sometimes the family enjoys the brown rice too.
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I use different size rice cookers depending on how many of us are here. From 3 cups to 10 cups capacity. It's all measured the same way, using my finger. I wash the talc but was taught not to wash it til it's clear because we're washing away all the nutrients too. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's one of those things that just stuck with me. When we go camping I use a pot, same wash/measure technique though.
      Send POI

Comment

depending on the length of your index finger from the tip to the first joint will determine the stickiness of your rice.

Long fingers will result in stickier rice, short fat fingers lead to not so sticky rice.

Two to one? I use a 1:1 ratio if I have a bandaid on my measuring finger. I wash my rice three times only and add about a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar to help preserve it overnight. Want a great tasting rice? Substitute the final water with half sake half water. Ono!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          depending on the length of your index finger from the tip to the first joint will determine the stickiness of your rice.

Long fingers will result in stickier rice, short fat fingers lead to not so sticky rice.

Two to one? I use a 1:1 ratio if I have a bandaid on my measuring finger. I wash my rice three times only and add about a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar to help preserve it overnight. Want a great tasting rice? Substitute the final water with half sake half water. Ono!
          I measure the bottom of the pot with the tip of my middle finger to the top of the rice level, marking that spot with my thumb, then use the same spot to measure the water with my finger tip on the surface of the rice. Then I pour out just a little water so that the amount of water and rice is equal. I use the rice vinegar during the summer when we don't have the AC running. When it's cool, the rice doesn't need the vinegar, it usually keeps well overnight. Must try the sake though, never had sake even though I live in Japan. Sad yeah?
          Send POI

Comment

I use my finger and a pot. And I favor Japanese rice.

Comment

I admit, I love my fancy, "fuzzy logic" hyper intelligent rice cooker (slash steamer slash crock pot slash whatever). I think the thing's smarter than me. It's very hard to make a bad batch with it, at least.

Still, I learned the hard way - basic pot, electric range, "fingah method" to measure the rice and water.

I even managed a decent pot of rice on a camping trip once... though we had to sacrifice the bottom half-inch of rice (and the batch was described as having a "special smoked flavor"). Not bad, I still say, for cheap tin and a disposable hibachi.

Comment

I use my rice cooker!! Our local Super Stop & Shop as well as local asian grocers carries the Kokuho Rose brand rice which I like. They have couple other brands too! I no wash the rice. And it's 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water!
                Lovena

Comment

you know...I think elevation has a lot to do with how much water to use. When I was in Denver (mile high) my rice always came out mushy. I had to use less water up there.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Mahalo for sharing all the rice cooking methods. When I was at the oriental grocery store yesterday, I bought the Kokuho rice. We're gonna try that. And I'm definitely going to lower my water-to-rice ratio.

Last time I made rice, I washed it till the water ran clear, but that takes so much water! We really have to conserve around here with so many kids in the house. I think maybe 2 or 3 times is good enough.
                    ~'Ailina

Comment

You know, I don't bother washing the rice at all these days. It used to be that you had to because they used talc to keep the grains from sticking together, and you didn't want to be eating talc. But these days I understand they use some kind of starch product instead, which is completely edible, so it's not actually necessary to wash the stuff off any more.

Then again, if I'm wrong then I've been eating a lot of talc.

Comment

Am I the only local person who doesn't use his fingers?

I measure the rice by the lines on the side. Somehow, that method is easy for me, and it produces good rice all the time.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It also depends on the variety of rice you use. Calrose (what most people in Hawaii use) is a medium grain, and it will cook up "stickier" than a long grain ("Chinese" ) rice. Arborio rice (the stuff they use in Italian risotto and Spanish paella) is a short grain rice and normally you simmer it in some kind of stock and leave it a little soupy.

I like to use Thai jasmine rice because of its fragrance. If you add extra water (finger method) it stays pretty sticky when it's first cooked. Wouldn't recommend it to be used on the second day for fried rice, though.

Aloha,
                          Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            You know, I don't bother washing the rice at all these days. It used to be that you had to because they used talc to keep the grains from sticking together, and you didn't want to be eating talc. But these days I understand they use some kind of starch product instead, which is completely edible, so it's not actually necessary to wash the stuff off any more.

Then again, if I'm wrong then I've been eating a lot of talc.
                            ahhha.. yah same here! Glue + rice

Comment

I am originally from Japan and my family always makes sticky rice with a rice cooker. The secret to make a sticky rice is put more water than it got to. For example, you put 3 cups of rice in the cooker and pour water up to the line indicating 3.5 cups on the cooker. Then the rice gets sticker than usual. I used to use my hand to measure the right amount of water for making rice but it's not always the same and not reliable. So I recommend you to use the measuring line on the rice cooker.
                              Another important factor for sticky rice is soak it in the water for at least 10 minutes (20-30min recommended) before you turn on the rice cooker or heat it up in the pot on the oven. Hope it will come out good, guys !!

Comment

Working...
                              X