CD-2 race: Mufi's final stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-2 race: Mufi's final stand?

Well, who woulda thunk it? Two different polls conducted by Civil Beat find early frontrunner Mufi Hannemann now in a dead heat with upstart challenger Tulsi Gabbard.

Gabbard being able to erase a 45 point deficit in polls conducted just a couple of months ago is truly remarkable when you consider that Hannemann has a bigger campaign warchest as well as the lion's share of union endorsements. Moreover, as a sitting Honolulu Councilmember, Gabbard has less time to campaign than her more well-known opponent.

I'll say it right here and now. The Mufster is in trouble. If he cannot turn back the tide of momentum that is boosting Gabbard's candidacy, then this election is lost to him. If that happens, then this will be Mufi's Waterloo.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: CD-2 race: Mufi's final stand?

If so, he'll just drag his Waterloo with him as he heads towards another, he'll never stop politic'n. Not sure about Gabbard, but at least she ain't Mufi.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I don't follow local politics as closely as my wife does, but after talking briefly to some Tulsi folks who came past our house a few months ago, and when my wife's reaction was that she would never, never vote for such a notorious anti-abortion Republican, I became curious enough to read Tulsi's short biography on the Wikipedia and take a look at her web site. Since I knew, as my wife apparently did not, that Tulsi is actually not a Republican. From my brief online reading, I got a very favorable impression of Tulsi, who seems not to share the rather reactionary views of her father. At all.
      Greg

Comment

Maybe the giant surge in her numbers comes from this sudden mass realization that she is much different from her father. Kinda took me a while to accept it...
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
          From my brief online reading, I got a very favorable impression of Tulsi, who seems not to share the rather reactionary views of her father. At all.
          And I think that’s where any support she has comes from if not from the anti-Mufi vote. Count me as skeptical that Gabbard has enough of an actual track record that proves she is not a crazy religious zealot (with a penchant for switching parties when convenient) like the rest of her family. Until then, I’m voting for Mufi. At least I know he has the fire in the belly that made Abercrombie so effective.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Count me as skeptical that Gabbard has enough of an actual track record that proves she is not a crazy religious zealot (with a penchant for switching parties when convenient) like the rest of her family.
            Tulsi has never switched parties. Always was a Democrat. In fact, she was elected as a Democrat to the State House in '02..... while her father (Mike) was still a card-carrying Republican. It was he who eventually joined his daughter in the Democratic ranks, not the other way around.

Leave it you, Tunnl, to be so assinine to think it's normal to make the worst assumptions about a person based on nothing more than the actions of their parent.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Until then, I’m voting for Mufi.
            As if that wasn't already a foregone conclusion.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Leave it you, Tunnl, to be so assinine to think it's normal to make the worst assumptions about a person based on nothing more than the actions of their parent.
              Leave it to you, Frankie, to be so asinine* to think it’s normal to assume I am making an assumption. She hasn’t spoken to the issue and it’s therefore a fair question for debate. Take a chill pill.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Bringing it back to OT, Mufi losing here will only be confirmation that his water loo was flushed in the previous iteration.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  Bringing it back to OT, Mufi losing here will only be confirmation that his water loo was flushed in the previous iteration.
                  Following the Napoleonic Timeline, the 2010 gubernatorial primary where Mufi lost was actually his Battle of Paris. Like the French Emperor before him, both were in political exile before making one final stab at usurping power.

Therefore, my calling this year's congressional race as Mufi's Waterloo.

Hey, I'm a history buff.

Another sign that Mufi is in trouble: A couple of friends told me that the Mufster himself is now personally canvassing the neighborhoods and hanging up his own signs and banners. In all his previous elections, this would be unheard of. Apparently, the support and manpower that Mufi enjoyed in earlier campaigns is now a distant memory of the past. If he doesn't hang up his signs, then the job simply won't get done. Clearly, a lot of people have jumped off the Mufi bandwagon at the grassroots level.

Comment

Following the Napoleonic Timeline, the 2010 gubernatorial primary where Mufi lost was actually his Battle of Paris. Like the French Emperor before him, both were in political exile before making one final stab at usurping power.

Hey, I'm a history buff.
                    Yeah, well Mufster resigned his office before the gubernatorial primary. So, the primary was his Waterloo (post resignation attempt to regain power) since he still had his armies behind him following his resignation.

Ya better brush up on that history, bud!
                    Last edited by salmoned; June 25, 2012, 02:23 PM.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I'll say it right here and now. The Mufster is in trouble. If he cannot turn back the tide of momentum that is boosting Gabbard's candidacy, then this election is lost to him. If that happens, then this will be Mufi's Waterloo.
                      Never too soon.

Do we need him? Can we afford him?

NO!

P.S.:"We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans."
                      — U.S. President Bill Clinton - USA TODAY, page 2A"

Right, silly Billy, let's throw out the first ten amendments to the Constitution of the US, AKA "The Bill of Rights."

Then we can just join the USSR in one big happy family! No more wars! Oops, Abdul wants to say something to me; his AK-47 is tapping my shoulder....
                      Last edited by Kaonohi; June 25, 2012, 06:24 PM.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Waterloo,Couldn't Escape If I Wanted To.
                        When You're Gone,S.O.S.

Comment

Another sign that Mufi is in trouble: A couple of friends told me that the Mufster himself is now personally canvassing the neighborhoods and hanging up his own signs and banners.
                          Hanneman humbly ask for your vote. I can't think of anyone who is more humble than him.

Comment

I like Kia'aina, but I think it's between the hot one and the tall one.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Hanneman humbly ask for your vote. I can't think of anyone who is more humble than him.
                              Oh, the irony!

How humble: 'Steel on Steel, or no deal!'
                              (Not an actual quote, but the meaning is intact.)

Do we need him? Can we afford him?

Will he cry on TV again, when he loses?
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X