Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

hello all, I am from CT and will be visiting Hawaii with my gf for our first time in Hawaii.

so, right now we have a few things booked.
    in Maui, we have a cocktail cruise, a blue water rafting trip that includes snorkeling, swimming with turtles and some caves and thats along kanaio coast and molokini, some other boat trip I think, we will be flying in since the ferry is dry docked on the 14th and then taking the superferry back to Oahu, we also booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Then we will also take a trip ove to Hana highway which we hear is a nice day trip.

in Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)
    also, visiting that tower thats wicked old, I forget the name.
    also camping for a few days.

we also plan on wind surfing but dont know where the best place might be for that. (any suggestions)

so, as you can see we have a number of things planned but also plan to relax. it is a vac after all.

now, we also want to go hiking and one of the places we also want to climb is the "stairway to heaven". I have read up on it and what not, but have not read any articles updated this year. so, I was wondering what is the deal today, Jan 2009??

so, any and all suggestions of more things that we can do would be great. we def want to get some hiking in. I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??

Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Originally posted by LeMansGTi View Post
    in Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)
    I vote for the 400-acre Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden in Kaneohe, which you can check out at this link.

also, visiting that tower thats wicked old, I forget the name.
    I think you mean Aloha Tower? Click here and also click here.

we also want to go hiking and one of the places we also want to climb is the "stairway to heaven". I have read up on it and what not, but have not read any articles updated this year. so, I was wondering what is the deal today, Jan 2009??
    Closed. And patrolled for violators who try to sneak in. Don't try it.
    You've got a lot of questions, and the good news is that most of them have been answered here before. Use the Search function. Have fun, and good luck!
    Last edited by LikaNui; January 27, 2009, 06:54 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

hello all, I am from CT and will be visiting Hawaii with my gf for our first time in Hawaii.

1)On Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)

2)we also plan on wind surfing but dont know where the best place might be for that. (any suggestions)

3)We def want to get some hiking in.
      4)I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??
      Howzit! Wish you a Great time.
      1) I suggest the Lyon Arboretum Link
      It's a beautiful area!

2) Kailua beach and I believe there are rentals/lessons available. Link

3) There's good hikes at the Lyon arboretum and nearby is Manoa Falls even. Link

4) Maybe means the Swap meet (flea market) at the Aloha Stadium. Link

Enjoy!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

For hiking on Oahu you might want to try Diamond Head Crater, not very long, go early in the morning and bring some water bottles for yourself.

View is from the top of the trail is very good.

Comment

Hi,

Listen to the experts who live there. I only worked there on Oahu for several months at a time.
          My favourite market/swap meet/car boot sale - is as the Admin says. Get a bus towards Pearl Harbour and the market is right outside the stadium. It is big !

Take a trip to the barefoot bar. Then to 'Duke's' statue. From there you can walk to Diamond Head (Depending upon how fit you are.) The views are tremendous.

I am certain that many members will give you better advice than me.

Comment

so, right now we have a few things booked.
            in Maui, we have a cocktail cruise, a blue water rafting trip that includes snorkeling, swimming with turtles and some caves and thats along kanaio coast and molokini, some other boat trip I think, we will be flying in since the ferry is dry docked on the 14th and then taking the superferry back to Oahu, we also booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Then we will also take a trip ove to Hana highway which we hear is a nice day trip.
            Glad to hear you're going to Maui. It sounds like you are going to have a packed itinerary. Where will you be staying? The Old Lahaina Luau is great. The road to Hana is a must do. Plan on a full day and make sure you have a camera. Just a little note of warning on the blue water rafting trip. The Kanaio Coast is very rough water (think white water rafting) The ads make it sound like a serene trip though caves. I posted a picture of a calm day out there on the photo thread. Not for the faint of heart or someone who doesn't have their sea legs. But if you are up for an adventure, that is the place to go. Have fun!

Comment

IMHO I think that anyone going to Oahu should take time and it only takes a little time, to visit Pearl Harbor Memorial. My wife and I tell anyone that visits with that it is something they need to do...we've been there eight times and it moves me every visit.

Just a thought.

Comment

My favorite place on Maui is Wai'anapanapa State Park!
                It's along the road to Hana and just incredible!
                Black sand beach cove, fresh water cave that you can swim in, and more...

There are many more links along the sides of this page too!
                Wai'anapanapa State Park

I also like "Little Makena" beach, which is south of Kihei.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtNaVbeWEJI

Enjoy!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Wind Surfing at Hookipa also a must while on Maui, first time here?, No Haleakala sunrise or set on your Maui trip!!!
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

The wicked old tower...

Inner tube rides down the rivers/lava tubes/ag flumes is a winner and should be found on Maui, but maybe not Oahu. Google - tube rides hawaii - for the listings.

Pearl Harbor - get up early and plan to stay till closing. Be there when the place opens so you don't miss the Missourri (The Mighty Mo'), Bowfin (awesome WW2 sub), the new Ford Island Aircraft Museum, as well as the reflective time at the Arizona Memorial.

Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens in Kaneohe/Oahu is a must.

In lieu of hiking the Stairway To Heaven, take the easy time saver route and just hit the Pali Lookout.

I always suggest www.kualoaranch.com
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 28, 2009, 07:15 AM.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

mixedplatebroker and i went to maui for the second time in december. our favorite lahaina restaurant is mala tavern. here's a pic of their edamame guacamole and chips and my favorite dish there--the clams.

the big shopping thing you're asking about on oahu is one of two things: the aloha stadium flea market, which several others have described; or ala moana center, which used to be the largest outdoor mall in the world. ala moana center will be easy to find.
                      Attached Files
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Have you kids ever windsurfed before? I mean, do you guys want a lesson, or are you ready to go after renting the gear. Depending on where and when you go, me and the bf would love to go with you! I like Kailua for windsurfing a LOT! Its perfect!

Have you thought about kayaking to the offshore islands? Super fun. Oh, except for that one time...
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??
                          If you're talking bout da one in Waikiki dats da famous International Market Place! I work there!
                          http://www.internationalmarketplacewaikiki.com/

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            For hiking on Oahu you might want to try Diamond Head Crater, not very long, go early in the morning and bring some water bottles for yourself.

View is from the top of the trail is very good.
                            I have read about it a little. now we can go and hike that ourselves and dont need to do a tour, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              Glad to hear you're going to Maui. It sounds like you are going to have a packed itinerary. Where will you be staying? The Old Lahaina Luau is great. The road to Hana is a must do. Plan on a full day and make sure you have a camera. Just a little note of warning on the blue water rafting trip. The Kanaio Coast is very rough water (think white water rafting) The ads make it sound like a serene trip though caves. I posted a picture of a calm day out there on the photo thread. Not for the faint of heart or someone who doesn't have their sea legs. But if you are up for an adventure, that is the place to go. Have fun!
                              well, we will be on Oahu at first from the 10-13 and we will be staying at the Royal Grove, the reviews from people were really good.
                              then we fly over to Maui 14 to 19, since the ferry is dry docked until the 18th and there we will stay at a "Maui's Last Resort" its a hostel but we got a private room.
                              then we take the ferry back to Oahu and there we will camp at Malaekahana Campground for 2 days, and on the last night the gf wanted a "nice" place to sleep, so we got a room at the hilton hawaiian village, seemed like a good place I guess to veg out on the our last night and take in our experience in Hawaii.
                              if it was up to me, we would camp the whole time we are there. hehe
                              I am all for saving money when it comes to my sleeping quarters, aslong as it is safe and clean I am good to go!! its not like I plan to spend much if any time there!!

as for the rocky raft trip, all the rocker the merrier for us!!

Comment

Working...
                              X