Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

The last photo in the sequnce right above is pretty darn good IMO. I have to wade through 372 photos taken this afternoon to figure out what I want to post.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: T-Brids spotted in the skies over Magic Island

I checked them out from my roof this afternoon. Most impressive. But when you work until 3am, those engines are a fine howdy-do at 9am. I felt like the voice of God was waking me up.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Waaaay cool photos!

I was at the 9am show this morning at Ala Moana Beach Park. Later went to Waikiki for the 2:30pm show. I took as many photos as I could but won't know if they're 'website good' until I get back home next week!

Love the photos!
        Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          ... am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?
          I've thought about this a lot. I've watched many of these shows ... and I enjoy it ... I enjoy it ... I enjoy it ... but I keep thinking: Isn't this kinda dangerous, not only for the pilots, but also for the spectators on the ground?

This morning, I watched these aircraft streak above our city (my apartment window looks out at the Koolaus), and I was thrilled, excited, but I kept thinking: What if one of them crashes? ... into the city.

Comment

I'm still frustrated that I forgot to charge my camera battery--as a result, I was only able to take two shots very early in the "show."

I'll post them tomorrow...

The shots of Pomai and Mel are way better than the two I managed to get before my camera went to sleep!

Comment

If you plan to watch the actual show on Saturday, like I recommended earlier, a high roof top or if you live on a hillside, you're good. Ala Moana beach or Kewalo's is also good. I really didn't like it on Waikiki beach in front of the showbox, because the buildings block your view of them circling around behind you over the city. But that might be different on Saturday if they linger there!

If you're into the informational aspect of the show, and want to know what moves they're performing, the cockpit chatter, along with the corresponding cool music, you might wanna' hang out in front of DeRussy where that showbox is. Here's where the announcement stand is located, just in front of Ft. DeRussy's museum on the beach (the building on the left is the Hale Koa Hotel)...

Plenty of sand space to find a "seat". DeRussy has a parking structure, but not sure about the rates.

Here they are passing overhead of our roof this afternoon, with the Marco Polo building on Kapiolani Blvd. on the side, buzzin' the tower...

Darned it. Need more lens and megapixels!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                ...am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?
                Yes

The wife and I had lunch at Ala Moana then walked over to Magic Island for what we thought was a 2 oclock show. Great view from there... lotsa flyovers.

Personal fave was the high alpha maneuver where he/she's in a nose high attitude and flying at near stall speed. The BlueAngels do that one too but with the smoke kicked on. (I think they did it in tandem too, forget)

Other fave was when they slow rolled in delta formation coming from the horizon.

Can't wait for the BlueAngels next month!

Comment

I took some pix with my iPhone from our office rooftop lanai on Nuuanu Avenue. I know in the first one you cannot see the two Tbirds in the pic, but I think the clouds are amazing. I totally missed a 6-bird formation that flew directly over us. But here are two shots of the foursomes. I must say that for a little camera phone, not bad. I must say for some little jets, HOT STUFF!
                  Last edited by lavagal; January 15, 2008, 02:06 PM.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Added a few more to my Flickr site. Most now from 2:30 show taken at Magic Island.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

i ended up near ward center and it wasn't a very good spot. it was okay although i was able to see the planes fly by AND watch them makes huge circles on their way back to waikiki. i imagine that being on the top of a ridge in the manoa area would have been awesome!

mel's pictures are fantastic. you must have one incredible camera! this shot below was from a simple canon point and shoot.
                      Attached Files
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        as they often did circles around Diamond Head.. the most prominent obstacle in their flight path.
                        Yup. That was a good spot I had the last time they performed here. I'll have to see if I can find some of those photos. I have a TB diving into Waikiki with buildings in the background and I'm shooting from above him.

But DH is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          and in tight 7 man diamond formation!
                          Uh, I think there's only 6 of them - the group of 4 and two solos.

Comment

Curse you Mel for raising the bar!

Sorry, I couldn't fit more in. They were kinda close. And a bit fast. This was taken straight overhead.
                            Attached Files

Comment

All this is making be think about where I want to be for Saturday. Those ridges sound like a good idea. Keeps me far away from the madhouse the double feature of Aloha Week Parade and TB is going to bring.

So, which ridge? What valleys did the usually fly up in the afternoon show? Where's a good spot with a view?

Comment

Shave Ice, that's a great shot.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X