Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uninsured motorists in C&C of Honolulu

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I believe that basic liability insurance needs to be provided by the state and administered by a non-profit entity, similar to the Honolulu city bus system being operated and managed by OTS. The "pay at the pump" fees, as well as any insurance surcharge incurred by high-risk drivers, will be determined by statistical tools and actuarials to sustain a solvent public insurance fund.

Because this auto liability insurance will be paid for by all drivers who purchase gasoline, there will be savings for drivers who are already following the law by paying for a no-fault policy. Additional savings will be realized by the simple fact that this system is non-profit, so premium money is not being wasted on bonuses and swank parties for insurance executives.

In fact, the only people who will pay more under this proposed system are those scofflaws who have been driving around with no insurance. Are you gonna feel sorry for those freeloaders?
    This would require a more indepth assessment. How many accidents happen on Oahu each year and what would be the max payout on basic liability? Then, what is the annual amount of gas sales on Oahu. This would help give a rough idea of how much surcharge is needed on each gal of gas to keep this fund solvent. It may be cheaper....but it may not as well if those numbers don't play nice.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    With the extra cost in gas, how do you deal with gasoline thefts? So few people have private enclosed garages, Hawaii would be ripe for that.
    Another potential side effect would be influencing people to switch to more fuel efficient cars because they would pump less gas. However, this may then increase the insurance surcharge per gallon to keep the fund solvent. Good times.

Comment

OK, but - how do you keep the legislature from raiding the the insurance?
      I already said (and typed in bold-faced letters, no less) to have a non-profit entity manage and administer the public insurance fund.

This entity will be autonomous from the direct control of lawmakers. So there can be no raiding of the insurance fund to balance the state budget. And the people in charge of setting the premiums and surcharges are not politicians whose decision-making are swayed by trying to get votes.

Plus, how good will the service be when it's essentially provided by government employees?
      Ha! That kind of talk is nothing but pure political posturing. If you wanna engage in that kind of debate, you're gonna have to find a like-minded person to duel with ya. Failing to find that in HT, then maybe go down to city hall and take out nomination papers to run for city council or the state legislature where you'll get plenty of mindless "municipalization vs. privatization" debates, fueled by political allegiances and partisan agendas rather than arguments of true substance and merit.

I'm here in this thread to talk about and exchange ideas. I'm not imagining myself campaigning for some political office and making myself a golden boy for a labor union or the Tea Party.

With the extra cost in gas, how do you deal with gasoline thefts? So few people have private enclosed garages, Hawaii would be ripe for that.
      With the price of gasoline being what it already is, why would that not be a concern right now?

More and more cars come equip with fuel doors that are locked. And if by any chance your vehicle does not have a locking fuel door, then go to any auto parts store and buy yourself a lockable gas cap. Costs maybe $10?

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      This would require a more indepth assessment. How many accidents happen on Oahu each year and what would be the max payout on basic liability? Then, what is the annual amount of gas sales on Oahu. This would help give a rough idea of how much surcharge is needed on each gal of gas to keep this fund solvent. It may be cheaper....but it may not as well if those numbers don't play nice.
      I suggest you do some serious research into what actuarial science is all about and why this discipline is the basis for companies to make a business out of auto insurance on a long-term basis.

"Numbers don't play nice?" You're making this sound like some sort of high-risk derivative on Wall Street. It isn't.

Another potential side effect would be influencing people to switch to more fuel efficient cars because they would pump less gas. However, this may then increase the insurance surcharge per gallon to keep the fund solvent. Good times.
      I still say that when premium money derived from "pay at the pump" is not being spent on things like CEO/executive bonuses, lavish company parties, and legislative lobbying, Hawaii drivers will end up saving money.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 10, 2012, 12:08 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

With the price of gasoline being what it already is, why would that not be a concern right now?

More and more cars come equip with fuel doors that are locked. And if by any chance your vehicle does not have a locking fuel door, then go to any auto parts store and buy yourself a lockable gas cap. Costs maybe $10?

"Numbers don't play nice?" You're making this sound like some sort of high-risk derivative on Wall Street. It isn't.

I still say that when premium money derived from "pay at the pump" is not being spent on things like CEO/executive bonuses, lavish company parties, and legislative lobbying, Hawaii drivers will end up saving money.

I'm actually not aware of any new car these days without a fuel door that isn't released by a button/level inside the car. But theft of gas can occur low tech style which is having someone puncture the gas tank for a quick drain. This actually happened with alarming frequency when gas hit its high mark not too long ago, especially with delivery and service trucks that had the large and easy to reach tanks.

I am actually making it sound like a numbers issue, which at the end of the day, it is. What level of gas surcharge per gallon will generate enough funding to payout a typical year's worth of accidents? There's no smoke and mirrors behind that, it's how you would keep the fund solvent as you've mentioned. However, at what level of surcharge won't make the public balk? What if gas was $5 a gal, not including any additional price fluctuations (ie Iran)?

A non-profit is a good starting point, but those that are tasked to run it still need to be paid a salary yes? If you want competent talent, competitive pay is required, yes? Just look at some of the salaries existing non-profits pay. I'm not against your idea, just pointing out some of the concerns associated with this approach to uninsured vehicles.

This idea is even remotely possible since we're on an island in one county. If people could drive easily between counties here and not all counties use the same pay at the pump scheme, car insurance would be one heck of a mess worse that it is now.

Comment

I'm actually not aware of any new car these days without a fuel door that isn't released by a button/level inside the car. But theft of gas can occur low tech style which is having someone puncture the gas tank for a quick drain.
          You know, I believe everything you're saying here about gasoline theft. But why is this being discussed in a thread that is primarily talking about uninsured motorists? Gas being stolen from vehicles aren't just happening in locales where there's a pay at the pump system in place, right? It is happening everywhere. Bluntly speaking, this issue is nothing more than a red herring in this thread.

I am actually making it sound like a numbers issue, which at the end of the day, it is. What level of gas surcharge per gallon will generate enough funding to payout a typical year's worth of accidents? There's no smoke and mirrors behind that, it's how you would keep the fund solvent as you've mentioned. However, at what level of surcharge won't make the public balk?
          I could ask the very same question to you about auto insurance premiums.

At what level of premium charge for no-fault insurance won't make the public balk? And guess what? Over the years, some people have begun to chafe at the rising costs of premiums and have resorted to dropping insurance coverage altogether, which has resulted in,..... TA-DA!!!!!!! The growing number of uninsured drivers in this state.

The segment of drivers who will moan and groan about the higher prices they will have to pay at the gas pump will very likely be the same people who aren't paying for insurance right now. The way I see it is: Who gives a damn about their complaints? They're the very folks who are causing law-abiding drivers to have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage in the first place. The people who complain the loudest about "pay at the pump" will do so because they will no longer be able to escape the responsibility of paying for their own liability insurance coverage.

A non-profit is a good starting point, but those that are tasked to run it still need to be paid a salary yes? If you want competent talent, competitive pay is required, yes? Just look at some of the salaries existing non-profits pay. I'm not against your idea, just pointing out some of the concerns associated with this approach to uninsured vehicles.
          Of course, there should be specific guidelines in place with regards to paying appropriate salaries for administrators of a non-profit public insurance fund. Given a proper level of oversight and checks-and-balances, problems like exorbitant salaries for administrators shouldn't happen. Abuses that occur at non-profit agencies happen whenever oversight is lax and/or the board of directors/trustees fail to carry out their duty to make sure that the organization's funds and resources are being properly utilized.

While this is a legitimate concern, I can't help but find it ironic that people would be so wrapped up in worry about excessive salaries possibly being paid to employees of a public insurance fund,..... as if abuse and excess doesn't happen within the realm of private insurance. Anyone remember how many millions in bonuses AIG handed out to their execs after receiving a govt. bailout?

This idea is even remotely possible since we're on an island in one county. If people could drive easily between counties here and not all counties use the same pay at the pump scheme, car insurance would be one heck of a mess worse that it is now.
          Which is why I proposed this sytem for the entire state, not just Oahu.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 10, 2012, 08:27 PM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I already said (and typed in bold-faced letters, no less) to have a non-profit entity manage and administer the public insurance fund.
            Sorry, I've been around long enough to know that "non-profit" isn't a magic spell that makes everything all right. You're creating a monopoly. How do you motivate them to be efficient yet keep the politics at bay? You may see it as "details, minor", but I see it as "details, devil in".

As Mitt says "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone doesn't give me a good service that I need, I want to say I’m going to go get someone else to provide that service to me.” You're creating an "unfireable" company.

Help me out. Do you have some good examples of this working?

If you followed the link, you would have seen that it talked about gas tanks being punctured to get the gas. The higher the price of gas becomes in terms of wages, the more common it will become.

How much insurance charge are we talking about here? I know it came up before, and I think some numbers were thrown about. IIRC, it was closer to an additional $5/gal then 50¢/gal. That cost is everything in winning people over to your point of view.

And you never did answer my question. If insurance verification is "good enough" for EVs, then why don't we go that route for everyone? If EVs become popular, the whole idea of "pay at the pump" will be seen as one of the most shortsighted moves ever done. "Pay at the plug" may work for commercial charging stations, but I don't see practical way to enforce it for the home charging station.

Let's start with more checks and enforcement on insurance and see if that fixes the problem before we start a big new organization.

Comment

Sorry, I've been around long enough to know that "non-profit" isn't a magic spell that makes everything all right. You're creating a monopoly. How do you motivate them to be efficient yet keep the politics at bay? You may see it as "details, minor", but I see it as "details, devil in".

As Mitt says "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone doesn't give me a good service that I need, I want to say I’m going to go get someone else to provide that service to me.” You're creating an "unfireable" company.

Help me out. Do you have some good examples of this working?
              Oahu Transit Services (TheBus)

The Board of Water Supply

People here seem pretty satisfied with these services. I haven't heard anyone clamoring for the water works to be privatized. And TheBus has won numerous national awards for best transit system in the country.

Nobody's saying that all non-profits setups are great. There needs to be a system of accountability, as well as proper oversight. When done right, auto liability insurance can be provided by a public, non-profit entity.

But if people were to follow your logic and to automatically reject the idea of reforming the no-fault insurance system, then guess what? We'll always be saddled with a significant % of drivers who are uninsured, as private insurance companies have no incentive to do anything about the problem. They'll just pass on the burden to their customers by charging for uninsured motorist coverage.

How much insurance charge are we talking about here? I know it came up before, and I think some numbers were thrown about. IIRC, it was closer to an additional $5/gal then 50¢/gal. That cost is everything in winning people over to your point of view.
              I don't know the exact cost. But c'mon! $5 a gallon for insurance??? Where did you get that ridiculous figure?

And you never did answer my question. If insurance verification is "good enough" for EVs, then why don't we go that route for everyone?
              You could. No one ever said that such a proposal was impossible.

Of course, paying at the pump is a way to spread out the cost of paying insurance. Paying for the whole year in one shot would be steep for people who are struggling with paying their bills.

And you were asking me about "winning people over?"

As well, don't forget: Collecting insurance fees through the licensing process will not catch those scofflaws who drive w/o valid or expired licenses. A pay-at-the-pump system would force them to "contribute" to the insurance fund if they want to purchase gas, thus accomplishing the goal of spreading out the burden of insurance costs to everyone on the road.

If EVs become popular, the whole idea of "pay at the pump" will be seen as one of the most shortsighted moves ever done.
              Shortsighted? I never said that a "pay at the pump" program is something that should be written in stone for all eternity. But considering the conditions that exist presently, it does make sense. When the % of drivers who use EVs progresses to a certain point whereby pay-at-the-pump no longer makes sense, then make whatever change needs to be made at that time.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 11, 2012, 03:23 AM.

Comment

You know, I believe everything you're saying here about gasoline theft. But why is this being discussed in a thread that is primarily talking about uninsured motorists? Gas being stolen from vehicles aren't just happening in locales where there's a pay at the pump system in place, right? It is happening everywhere. Bluntly speaking, this issue is nothing more than a red herring in this thread.

I could ask the very same question to you about auto insurance premiums.

At what level of premium charge for no-fault insurance won't make the public balk? And guess what? Over the years, some people have begun to chafe at the rising costs of premiums and have resorted to dropping insurance coverage altogether, which has resulted in,..... TA-DA!!!!!!! The growing number of uninsured drivers in this state.

The segment of drivers who will moan and groan about the higher prices they will have to pay at the gas pump will very likely be the same people who aren't paying for insurance right now. The way I see it is: Who gives a damn about their complaints? They're the very folks who are causing law-abiding drivers to have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage in the first place. The people who complain the loudest about "pay at the pump" will do so because they will no longer be able to escape the responsibility of paying for their own liability insurance coverage.

Of course, there should be specific guidelines in place with regards to paying appropriate salaries for administrators of a non-profit public insurance fund. Given a proper level of oversight and checks-and-balances, problems like exorbitant salaries for administrators shouldn't happen. Abuses that occur at non-profit agencies happen whenever oversight is lax and/or the board of directors/trustees fail to carry out their duty to make sure that the organization's funds and resources are being properly utilized.

While this is a legitimate concern, I can't help but find it ironic that people would be so wrapped up in worry about excessive salaries possibly being paid to employees of a public insurance fund,..... as if abuse and excess doesn't happen within the realm of private insurance. Anyone remember how many millions in bonuses AIG handed out to their execs after receiving a govt. bailout?

Which is why I proposed this sytem for the entire state, not just Oahu.

An increase in gas thefts corresponding to an increase in gas prices is well documented so I wouldn't call this a red herring, rather a legitimate concern. I'm all for finding solutions to the current uninsured problem but trying to prevent/reduce the mistake of trading one set of problems for another is a worthy discussion. So in your proposal of pay at the pump, increasing gas theft is a potential side effect.

Gas prices have always been an ultrasensitive issue with the public. Remember the attempts at a gas price cap? Putting a basic liability insurance coverage under a fuel surcharge at the pump isn't exactly equalizing either. Some people for one reason or another are just horrible drivers, they tend to be in accidents more frequently. How would an across the board fuel surcharge differentiate people like this? If it can't, they benefit more as they may actually pay for less gas (ie hybrid) but get accident payouts more often. Current insurance premiums isn't just purely tied to a car but a driver's record also is factored in.

Proposing your solution for the entire state is absolutely fine but I think it doesn't help the OP (Menehune Man) as his proposed resolutions are all with the City Council of Honolulu and is currently limited to such.

My feedback would still be the same, let's start with low hanging fruit and at least start mandating insurance verification during registration renewals and safety checks on Oahu. See if and what level the uninsured percentage drops to before deciding the next course of action.

Comment

The low hanging fruits are all those fuel pumps.
                  Hackers can easily get into those pumps if state mandated ports are
                  placed in the dispensers.

Comment

Working...
                  X