Donating juror's pay to a non-profit organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating juror's pay to a non-profit organization

My juror pay (from the jury duty thread at http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...5&postcount=14) arrived this weekend: $85.74 from $30/day plus mileage.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Yes! Donate to a facility or program that assists recovering meth addicts and their families!
    Does anyone have any info on the following groups? I'd like to hear good things but I'd also like to avoid giving good money to an incompetent charity. I've highlighted the ones that may be my leading candidates for a donation. If I'm talking stink here, please feel free to correct my mistaken impression.

Sorting through the options turned out to be a bit more difficult than I thought. Charity Navigator and GuideStar ("substance abuse", Hawaii) produced the following Oahu groups. The active ones filed tax returns for 2008 and some for 2009:
    Bobby Benson Center-- (Kahuku) says it was founded by the parent of an addicted teen who committed suicide. It's mostly state-funded but it seems to have accreditation, VIP support, and community donations. $3.6M in 2008 expenses. They brought in new leadership that year to fix a morale problem.
    Drug Policy Action Group-- zero donations in 2008 and only a few thousand $$ to mail out educational flyers. Don't seem to be active.
    Friends of the Hawaii Drug Court-- support clients of the Hawaii Drug Court. Only ~$2000 in 2008 donations and it's hard to figure out what they spent $8500 on. No other info.
    Grace House Association-- no tax returns for 2006-08. Doesn't seem to be active.
    Habilitat-- seems to be pretty big, with over $2.2M spent in 2008.
    Hale Ola Hoopakolea-- no tax returns for 2006-08. Might no longer be active as a charity.
    Hawaii Mana-- no tax returns for 2006-08. Doesn't seem to be active.
    Hawaii Meth Project-- Admittedly an awkward name for the producers of the "Meth will change that" ads. Looks like it's mainly education & awareness.
    Hawaii Substance Abuse Coalition-- seems to be a political lobbying group let by Hina Mauka.
    Hawaii Substance Abuse Foundation-- no tax return since 2004. State website claims it's dissolved.
    Hope and Peace-- tobacco & drug education. Founded in 2009; doesn't seem to have a track record.
    Kline-Welsh Behavioral Health Foundation-- Don't know how successful they are, but they seem to spend a lot on salaries. Three directors earned over $140K each in 2009. I'm biased against that.
    Ku Aloha Ola Mau-- Formerly DASH. Fairly big but doesn't seem to be in the news much.
    Laulima Pacific-- "Provides drug education to the general public." Took in $9200 last year, its lowest ever, and spent $1600. Doesn't seem to be very active.
    Makana O Ke Akua-- "Clean & sober living for men. Increased homes to four and number of men served to 50. Provided weekly meetings at each home, Bible study, and assisted residents with finding employment." Some NIMBY sentiment from Ewa Beach residents in 2005; doesn't appear to have affected their expansion.
    Na Mana Ola Hou-- Involuntarily dissolved. Must not have done their paperwork correctly?
    Narconon Hawaii-- Drug rehab & education. Impressive growth.
    Ohana Hale-- "Clean & sober living evironment for families recovering from substance abuse." Started in early 2008; 40 families with a 30% success rate.
    OM Charities-- Dissolved in 2009.
    RecoveryWorks Foundation-- Drug education & prevention programs in workplaces & schools. Jeff Mueller documentaries with Edgy Lee. Don't seem to be able to find their tax returns.
    Resist Ice Period Hawaii LLC-- Terminated in 2007.
    START NOW Hawaii Inc-- Dissolved in 2007.
    Waianae Men in Recovery-- Seems to be active, but no tax returns or state filings.

Any other suggestions?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Re: Donating juror's pay to a non-profit organization

Donate it to Auntie Lynn's Slippah Project, a fantastic benefit for the keiki and she started it right here on Hawaii Threads.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Donate it to Auntie Lynn's Slippah Project, a fantastic benefit for the keiki and she started it right here on Hawaii Threads.
      YES! I second that motion!!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I third it!!!

Comment

Auntie Lynn, can you please post the link to the Slippah website so Nords can make his contribution? (I can't find my link to it and I've gotta run back out the door now.)

Comment

http://www.slippah.org/

Comment

Mahalo LikaNui, Craig, TutuSue and LeoLakio for spreading the
              the word about "Our" Slippah Foundation! Yes, it belongs to HT
              because it started here as LikaNui stated earlier. And how it's
              grown over the years.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                [...]And how it's
                grown over the years. [...]
                It sure has. And it's even an official non-profit now!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  YES! I second that motion!!
                  Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I third it!!!
                  Oh c'mon, guys, I'm a hardened serial discussion-board hijacker myself, but the whole point of this thread was to turn the jury "pay" into a positive experience by using it to help someone else avoid the drug courts.

Surely someone on this board has had some experience with one of these organizations, or knows someone who's had an experience with them. All I've learned about them so far comes from the various charity & state tax websites, along with the organization's websites and maybe a media hit or two. I'm hoping someone has a more personal story to relate, good or bad, to help me make a decision. If you don't want to discuss it on the board then feel free to send me a PM or an e-mail.

But before we move back to topic, let's talk about the Slippah Project for a bit. If you feel so strongly that this takes priority over a drug program then let's put your money where your mouth is-- it's for a good cause! When the three of you have ante'd up then I'll do the same. Lynn, when you've received at least $257.22 in donations from these posters, please PM me and I'll donate another $85.74.

Now let's get back to the original $85.74 question. Anyone have any comments about the organizations I've listed above, or some other facility or program that assists recovering meth addicts and their families?
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

WOW, what a cold -- and rude -- post, Nords. It's nice of you to want to donate your check, but the attack above was uncalled for. Totally.

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    the whole point of this thread was to turn the jury "pay" into a positive experience by using it to help someone else avoid the drug courts.
                    I hadn't realized you specifically wanted it to go to an anti-drug program. There's nothing about that in the thread title. When I read your first post, I didn't scan that whole list of programs you were asking about. Your own comment in that post merely said "charity" and it asked for suggestions, which I gave and others agreed with.
                    [Late added comment here:] And yes, I DO believe strongly that it's far more important to help kids in need than to help drug addicts. The kids didn't ask to grow up in needy circumstances, while the drug addicts made their own choices.

If you feel so strongly that this takes priority over a drug program then let's put your money where your mouth is-- it's for a good cause! When the three of you have ante'd up then I'll do the same.
                    Then go sit down and write a check to the Slippah Project, because all four (Craig, Tutu, Leo and I; that's four, not three) of us have been active financial supporters of it ever since it came into existence.
                    Let us know when you've mailed the check.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; August 18, 2010, 07:01 AM. Reason: Added comment about needy keiki vs. addicts.

Comment

I've done some work with the Hawaii Meth Project. Pretty cool organization, and their executive director got things together pretty well.

They do a lot of work with other non-profits, so whatever $ they get helps a lot of people directly and indirectly.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Please Stop.

Nords, FYI, The total you suggest is manini in the amount
                        that has been given over the years by them. In fact, Mikey
                        who is suggesting the Meth Project took care of our Kauai
                        distribution in 2008. My daughter also is involved in the Meth
                        Project. Any Non Profit would welcome a donation in these
                        hard times. The Slippah Foundation services the Homeless and Public
                        Housing Keiki and their Ohana. Those who know my story will tell you.
                        My passion is to help the Keiki, the Hungry and the Homeless.

Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 18, 2010, 07:32 AM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think there's been some confusion here, and there's no need for us to berate anyone further. Nords clearly wanted to be generous and to follow the suggestion turtlegirl made, regarding donation to a program helping meth addicts recover, and even asked us for thoughts about several programs.

Nords, we failed to make it clear that our suggestions regarding the Slippah Project were indirectly connected to such programs. Many of us know Lynn & her history (as a recovered addict herself), and know that her project grew out of a desire to assist children in housing projects - a grassroots effort to make a small improvement in the lives of those at-risk for heading down addictive paths themselves. "Heading 'em off at the pass," as it were, by trying to help their lives before they become addicts, rather than assisting with recovery efforts afterwards.

Since you likely didn't know the history of Lynn or the project, you also likely didn't know that those of us you singled out have contributed much more than the amount you mentioned, over the course of several years (even before it became a registered non-profit). I hope you can see why some of us might have seen that as an insulting attack, and became defensive.

If you do feel an apology from you is in order because of that misperception, I think those of us "wronged" would all agree that a contribution to the Slippah Project would soothe our bruises. Feel free to keep researching additional programs to receive the benefits of your generosity as well, although I think Mike_Lowery has offered up an excellent suggestion.

Comment

I kinda thought I wouldn't chime in any further on this thread because what needed to be said was...said! I'm gonna chime in anyway!!!
                            [...]
                            Any other suggestions?
                            [...]but the whole point of this thread was to turn the jury "pay" into a positive experience by using it to help someone else avoid the drug courts.[...]
                            Nords...can you see why we didn't stay with suggestions involving drug related non-profits?
                            Auntie Lynn, can you please post the link to the Slippah website so Nords can make his contribution? (I can't find my link to it and I've gotta run back out the door now.)
                            If I had been the OP this response would've caused me to do some back peddling. It appeared to me that Nords' mind was made up for him (emphasis above is mine) and he was being told where to donate!

Nords, others have already commented on donations that have come from HT members. I'm already in the 4 figure category as I'm sure others are. My yearly donations are made in the names of my clients in lieu of Christmas gifts. Another 3 figure Christmas donation will be made later this year.

By all means, donate to whatever non-profit you'd like to see benefit. I commend you for your willingness to donate that money. I think what a couple of other folks wanted you to know is how important Lynn's charity is to HT and to not assume that we suggest something that we haven't financially supported in the past. And, it's tax deductible now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              If I had been the OP this response would've caused me to do some back peddling. It appeared to me that Nords' mind was made up for him (emphasis above is mine) and he was being told where to donate!
                              Sorry to those people who didn't catch the tongue in cheek in my comment. Obviously I should've used a smiley of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                              X