Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 'new' Star Bulletin

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
    ha...yeah ole frankie...you just hang in there for the "I told ya so" claim.....jesus, isn't there a statute of limitations on how many years go by when you can claim an "i told ya so".....kinda stale mr market. whatever..
    Sorry that a personal opinion from lil' ole' me causes you so much anguish that it would prompt you to take the Lord's name in vain.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I didn't get the Sunday 'Parade' insert again today, WTH?!!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

We had Parade in our paper, but it was awfully thin and easy to overlook.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Sorry that a personal opinion from lil' ole' me causes you so much anguish that it would prompt you to take the Lord's name in vain.
          JESUS! I LOVE to take 'the lord's name in vain.'
          But, who is "the lord?" Jesus?
          Some would say Mufi Hanneman,
          Others would say Linda Lingle,
          Many today say Barack Obama!!!

While others might intone names such as Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, - or might not intone names at all, using finger signs that represent "Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh" - understood by their own to mean "I am what is."

One can only take the lord's name in vain if:
          1) You know the name of the Lord.,
          and 2) if your utterance is "in vain."
          Figure me how to determine that?

Get a life, for God's sake! (and for ours, as well.)
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

...Stay on target, Luke, stay on target...

Comment

We're sort of "meh" about the new format, although putting all the comics together would be nice, rather than sprinkling them throughout the paper.

I have a similar gripe with the Advertiser: "Sylvia" has disappeared from its pages!
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Though I usually agree with Media Guy, I have to back you on this one, 808golfer. The fact that the Bulletin has lasted this long is a testament to the (slowly dwindling) staff of hard-working journalists and photographers bleeding for the lower-paying rag. There was another “I told ya so” type professing the “imminent takeover” of “online blog-o-media.” He has been banned from HT for some time now.
                Surely you're not talking 'bout,.....Warren Buffet?!?!?

http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/a...or-Capitalists

Mr. Buffett on Newspapers

Mr. Buffett has long held himself out as a newspaper man. As a child, one of his first jobs was delivering newspapers. An Omaha newspaper Berkshire owned, Sun Newspapers, won a Pulitzer Prize in 1973 based in part on a tip Mr. Buffett provided. One of Berkshire's biggest investments in the 1970s was the Buffalo News, which it still owns.

But his view on the future of the newspaper industry is dismal. "For most newspapers in the United States, we would not buy them at any price," he said. "They have the possibility of going to just unending losses."

As long as newspapers were essential to readers, they were essential to advertisers, he said. But news is now available in many other venues, he said.

Berkshire has a substantial investment in Washington Post Co. He said the company has a solid cable business, a good reason to hold on to it, but its newspaper business is in trouble.

Mr. Munger called newspapers' woes "a national tragedy....These monopoly daily newspapers have been an important sinew to our civilization, they kept government more honest than they would otherwise be."

A Washington Post Co. representative couldn't be reached for comment.

If the outlook is that bleak for the newspaper business in general, is it any wonder that there was little hope for Honolulu to indefinitely support 2 papers?

Don't anybody get angry at me for this one. Get mad at Warren Buffet.

I will just add that in this day and age of wireless news being at the tip of one's fingertips, whether it be on a laptop or Blackberry, the habit of readers carrying around a traditional or tabloid sized print newspaper when they are on-the-go is quickly fading away. News gathering organizations have to adapt to this new paradigm,.... or die. (Sad to say, lots of papers won't be able to survive on web ad revenue alone.) I realize that's a harsh reality for some folks whose livelihood depended on the old economic model. But that's just the way it is.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Supposedly newspaper readership will end after that last baby boomer dies, at least that was what some of the research at the last newspaper I worked for showed in 2007. Scary stuff.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Surely you're not talking 'bout,.....Warren Buffet?!?!?

Comment

HEY!
                    I saw an ad for the 'New Star-Bulletin' that claimed they had a seperate, detachable section for weekly TV programming!!!

You know, like the Advertiser used to have but dropped in spite of what their readership wanted?

I know the wife wants a weekly TV section, but we haven't gone over to the "Dark Side" of TV guide (Too many cookies).

Maybe a buck for the Sunday S-B would be worth it. (As long as they don't have 'offensive, illiterate and biased' columns.)

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    There was another “I told ya so” type professing the “imminent takeover” of “online blog-o-media.” He has been banned from HT for some time now.
                    My, my. I can think of a few who meet that description....

Prediction is such fun:
                    If you're wrong, shut up and people will forget.
                    If you're right, blow your horn and impress the innocent.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

From press release today: “Torstar did not record its share of Black Press’s net loss in the first quarter of 2009 as to do so would have resulted in a negative carrying value for the investment. Torstar’s carrying value in Black Press was reduced to nil in the fourth quarter of 2008 as a result of estimated impairment losses related to Black Press’s U.S. newspaper operations. Black Press is in the process of finalizing the amount of the impairment losses. In the first quarter of 2008, Torstar’s share of Black Press’s net loss was $0.9 million reflecting a traditionally weaker quarter and non-cash losses recorded on marking financial derivatives to market.”

In summary, the minority owner of Black Press has publicly cut its book value of Black Press's financial balance sheet to zero.
                      Black Press, owner of da Bulletin, is still assessing its overall loss in book value.

Black Press’s actual market value, which is usually different from book value, is likely to be worth more than zero dollars today. Sadly, this is not a joke.

Comment

politico.com
                        Dark day at Baltimore Sun, say critics
                        By: Michael Calderone
                        May 16, 2009 07:21 PM EST
                        Even by the sad standard set by newspapers across the country, The Baltimore Sun has had a rough go.
                        After the latest round of cuts, a newsroom that had more than 420 employees a decade ago now has just 140. At the beginning of the Bush administration, The Sun had 11 staffers in Washington. It has one today. Having previously shuttered bureaus in London, Beijing, and Moscow, the paper in the last few months closed local bureaus, including the one in Annapolis – Maryland's state capital.
                        In late April, a couple of Sun columnists went to Camden Yards to cover an Orioles game.
                        By the ninth inning, they'd both been laid off.
                        Company execs say they're shaping The Sun into a leaner, Internet-ready machine. "Basically, if you're looking to transform yourself, you really better stop looking at yourself as a newspaper company rather than as a digital media company," says Monty Cook, who took over as The Sun's editor earlier this year.
                        But some of the paper's high-profile readers – and former employees – say that smaller is just smaller, and that a metropolitan daily once committed to investigating crime and corruption across the city and state now seems to be dying a fast death.
                        "When I read the Baltimore Sun," says Sen Ben Cardin (D-Md.), "it's somewhat painful."

Comment

Originally posted by unidentifiedstar View Post
                          ... and that a metropolitan daily once committed to investigating crime and corruption across the city and state...
                          Apparently they're more committed to it than are their advertisers. And even 25 years ago the Sun was struggling to keep up with the DC newspapers.

Having lived there a while back, I think that complaining about shutting down an Annapolis bureau is like complaining about having to drive from Nanakuli to Honolulu to visit a legislator. Annapolis is a great place for the Washington & Baltimore media to report the news because they can go out there after the morning rush hour, lunch on the waterfront, and go straight home before evening rush hour. Or if they're really in a hurry they can make deadline before lunch...

It's despairing to see the transition inflicted on people who've made this their life's work, let alone their paychecks. But we've been reading stories for well over a decade about the changing face of the print news business, and there's been plenty of reporting in the business media about newspaper executive's resistance to change. Even big companies like the Washington Post are thriving only due to their non-newspaper businesses.

I think today's newspapers are in the unenviable position of making the world's best buggy whips.

But what do I know. I read the Star-Bulletin almost every day yet haven't subscribed to a newspaper for at least three years.
                          Last edited by Nords; May 17, 2009, 06:24 AM.
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

"One reason the Star-Bulletin got scooped so badly on Friday is that staff were preoccupied with the company’s latest demand to accept a wage freeze or face another dozen layoffs. An emergency union meeting on Thursday ended up with an agreement to give up step increases scheduled to kick in soon. Significant slippage under the circumstances is understandable."
                            source:
                            http://ilind.net/2009/05/17/sundays-...ise-in-kaaawa/

It seems many of the messengers are being listened to now. we all wish the message was happy, but it's not.

Comment

Bulletin's viewpoint today:

Advertiser will lay off as many as 15 workers
                              By Erika Engle
                              POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, May 19, 2009
                              The Honolulu Advertiser will lay off as many as 15 union members in three weeks, according to notices sent to their respective unions.
                              Eleven pressmen, members of the Hawaii Printing and Graphic Communications Union Local 413-N, will be laid off, said Terrence Derby Jr., union vice president.
                              The 11 appear to have been selected based on seniority.
                              Two or three other layoffs will come from the community press operation, said Wayne Cahill, administrative officer of the Hawaii Newspaper Guild. One of two archivists, a guild member, is to be cut effective June 5.
                              Advertiser Senior Vice President and Editor Mark Platte said he had not heard about layoffs, and other executives did not return calls.
                              In February the six unions representing the then 525 employees at the paper ratified a contract calling for a 10 percent pay cut.
                              It replaced a contract that expired in June 2007 after long, contentious talks and a strike authorization vote by the unions.
                              Since then the company, owned by Gannett Co., has laid off or given buyouts to more than 130 employees, citing the weak economy.
                              At the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, three unions voted last week to approve a wage freeze.
                              Last edited by unidentifiedstar; May 19, 2009, 05:54 AM. Reason: may as well include entire story since it is short

Comment

I wept at the sight of it...

...as many of you might recall, the HSB stopped neighbor isle delivery a few months ago. For most of you, this was a non-issue, but for me, I (and my hubby) greatly mourned its loss.

Though I would still check it out online every couple of days, on Sunday mornings when I head to my favorite supermarket, I have been affectionately kicking the empty vending machine. Its a habit, you know? Like "f-u for being empty, I miss reading you"... I have a cute story that about a month ago, an old Japanese man saw me kick it, giggled and gave it a soft pound.

I didn't get to the store yesterday due to extenuating circumstances. But, just 1/2 hour ago, I SAW THE HNL SB, SUNDAY EDITION IN THE MACHINE!

cheeeeeeeehu!

Yes, the price went up ($1.25 before, $2.00 now) BUT I DIDNʻT CARE. Upon paying for it, when I looked inside, I learned that I bought the last paper!

Now I get to see what everyone is talking about; this new format thing. It works for me (though I didnʻt see my beloved WSJ insert, which did make me frown). BUT I CAN DEAL!

The paper is like a buffed up PBN, in terms of format. I get my PBN on Friday, and now my HSB on Sunday, and all is right with the world.

Thanks, guys! Thanks for whoever fought to make it happen. Sincerely, I am a big fan, and I am happy to support your paper.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X