Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Democratic National Convention 2008

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Well --- this is a political thread, no?
    FWIW, at least you didn't use the word "Shall" in you question.

But to humor you, I sha-, er, will answer your question.

I expect the first opening act to set the tone for the rest of the function, concert, social event, etc. If it's boring, then the rest will be boring.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      I expect the first opening act to set the tone for the rest of the function, concert, social event, etc. If it's boring, then the rest will be boring.
      Remind me not to go to concerts with you. I've suffered through some of the sh!ttiest opening acts, just to make sure I had a good spot near the stage for some awesome headliners.

Comment

As if to make my point for me, Senator Edward Kennedy comes along, after brain cancer, and just electrifies the joint.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          As if to make my point for me, Senator Edward Kennedy comes along, after brain cancer, and just electrifies the joint.
          Hmm.

Are they giving him a Lifetime Achievement Award? What's with the video tribute?

Comment

From a TV perspective KGMB, KITV and KHET are all airing convention coverage in HD.

Comment

I'll admit I'm a Michelle Obama fan...and her convention speech didn't change that. I'm now a bigger fan! I like getting to know the potential first ladies...a far cry from conventions of old. I liked that she was human enough to stumble a bit during her speech, that she became impassioned, that her mom provided the narration for Michelle's video montage, that her brother introduced her. And, I really liked that her 2 daughters, while on stage, acted their ages! Adorable.

Now, with casting director hat on (meaning I'm going to comment on the "exterior")...
              Dang, that 10 year old, Malia, is drop dead gorgeous. Should she become a first daughter, the secret service will have their hands full once she's dating age!

Sasha, no doubt, will have the same good looks as she matures. She is so incredibly cute now it's pathetic.

Anyone else notice the Robinson family eyes? Mom...brother, Craig...Michelle. Undeniable. The 3 of them look so much alike. Sounds like dad Robinson was quite a guy.

Oops...I've strayed! So, what else is new!

Comment

Breaking News in the last hour.

4 Men have been arrested in the Denver Area, Possibly Plotting to Kill Obama at the DNC Convention.

From KCNC (CBS) in Denver http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/a....2.802827.html

Comment

Are they giving him a Lifetime Achievement Award? What's with the video tribute?
                  Random, I know you like making sardonic remarks and snappy rejoinders. Most of the time, it's okay and I don't even bother taking the time to respond.

But if you can't figure out the reason for the video tribute to Ted Kennedy at this year's DNC,..... if you think that it is something to be mocked at,.... I simply have to wonder at what is going on in your mind. Even the likes of Letterman and Leno won't be touching this.

As Tim pointed out, Sen. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor. And while everybody around him hopes for the best and that he beats the disease, it is also recognized that his condition is serious and he could eventually succumb within a year. Forgive his close friends and supporters for wanting to use some time at the convention to pay tribute and to say words of honor to someone who may not around for the next convention.

At the same time, the tribute to Ted Kennedy and his family's legacy wasn't just a nostalgic trip down memory's lane. Make no mistake, it was a rallying point for all of the delgates gathered tonight in Denver. With some of the discord and hard feelings carrying over from the Primary cycle, with the various agendas that sometimes clash as the Democrats establish their party's platform, Kennedy (a figure in every DNC since 1960 except for one year when he was recovering from a plane wreck) reminded everyone of the greater task at hand about being united in order to "change America, to restore its future, to rise to its best ideals." And despite his visibly frail condition, I think he gave one of the most eloquent and inspirational speeches in his half-century long career in politics.

"The dream lives on." Indeed, it will never die.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 25, 2008, 06:56 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Did someone break a world record at this convention yet? Is there a pill for Olympics withdrawals?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Just watched Chris Matthews interview some of the holdout Clintonites who say they are planning to vote for McCain. Three of them,..... in a sea of hundreds of Democrats united firmly behind Obama...Those Clintonites showed themselves for what they really were to millions of viewers on MSNBC. They cited Obama's "exotic" upbringing in Hawaii and Indonesia. Insisted that he was a closet Muslim....
                      Saw them, incredibly arrogant, willing to spread innuendo as fact. Actually, I think they were Dittoheads deliberately stirring the pot, not Dems at all.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Dang, that 10 year old, Malia, is drop dead gorgeous. Should she become a first daughter, the secret service will have their hands full once she's dating age!
                        No doubt Rush Limbaugh will refer to the girls as "the White House dogs" like he did with Chelsea Clinton.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          As Tim pointed out, Sen. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor.
                          I know that. The video tribute felt like he's running for President.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Saw them, incredibly arrogant, willing to spread innuendo as fact. Actually, I think they were Dittoheads deliberately stirring the pot, not Dems at all.
                            It is so patently obvious that they were plants. Just more Republican hyjinks and dirty tricks.
                            Last edited by matapule; August 26, 2008, 05:08 AM.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              No doubt Rush Limbaugh will refer to the girls as "the White House dogs" like he did with Chelsea Clinton.
                              Yep, Limbarf is one class act!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I know that. The video tribute felt like he's running for President.
                                Random, you are being disengenious.

Comment

Working...
                                X