And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

I saw Phelps shake hands with the French swimmers, but I did not notice any reluctance. I was pleased to see before that, though, smiles on the French men's faces as they were awarded the silver medals. Those smiles didn't look faked.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Spanish basketball team does it!

Made a bunch of people mad, that is.
      Saw a team pic that has them all making slant eyes with their fingers...
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: The Spanish basketball team does it!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        That's all they could come up with in response to Rod Tam's comments.

Comment

Well, it sounds like the Chinese women's gynmnastic team is going to win the gold, with US taking the silver.

I wonder if anyone can still make the case that the ages of their women's team are still questionable, especially under the new underage rule. Bela Karolyi once spillled that government can falsify documents for their prized athletes, a practice even used during his coaching period in Romania.

Kudos for swimmer Michael Phelps for winning a total of 11 gold medals, acquiring two tonight for the 200 meter butterfly and now the men's 4x200 medley.
          Last edited by Random; August 12, 2008, 10:26 PM.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Meeeehhh!! I still can't find a video of the opening ceremonies!! Everything I found is just photos of the openings that are cut together as a video. I want to see it 'live', the way everyone else did. Anyone know how I can find it? My Mama calls me every afternoon to talk about the olympics, and every day she keeps telling me how incredible the opening was.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Meeeehhh!! I still can't find a video of the opening ceremonies!! Everything I found is just photos of the openings that are cut together as a video. I want to see it 'live', the way everyone else did. Anyone know how I can find it? My Mama calls me every afternoon to talk about the olympics, and every day she keeps telling me how incredible the opening was.
              Sighs. Just wait for the DVD.

Somehow, somebody at NBC is stupid enough to take it down from the website, except for the Roll of Nations.
              Last edited by Random; August 13, 2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Alright. I don't know if this will work.

Here's Opening Ceremony Act I: The Pageantry.

Here's Opening Ceremony Act II: The Parade of Nations.

Here's Opening Ceremony Act III: Speeches and The Cauldron Lighting.

Comment

We don't watch TV in our home, so I had not ever seen Phelps compete until someone gave me a link to watch encore videos online. He is totally amazing. What's interesting is that I read that whereas Mark Spitz was viewed by his teammates as cocky and competitive, Phelps is very sociable and well-liked by all of his teammates.

So, anyway, go here if you've been Olympics-deprived like I was.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Spain's basketball team will tour the USA after the Olympics. They will put on those big fake noses when they play in New York. Then, put on an Al Jolson's makeup when they play in Detroit.

Comment

Just curious. How's your video streaming of the olympic?

I wonder if 11Mbps makes streaming less pixelating.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                        I read that whereas Mark Spitz was viewed by his teammates as cocky and competitive, Phelps is very sociable and well-liked by all of his teammates.
                        I'll confirm what you read about Mark Spitz. He was (and still is) an avid sailboat racer, and I raced against him dozens of times over the years in a regular Wednesday night series. He rapidly became very unpopular, because after almost every single race he would file an official protest against one boat or another, forcing them to go into a room with the race committee to resolve things. Competitive? Over the top. Cocky? Oh yeah. Popular among his fellow racers? Nope.
                        Except for the fact that he lost almost every protest.
                        (For you sailors in the group, he had a Hobie 33 monohull back then. Not sure what he's sailing now. Click this link to see a photo of a Hobie 33.)
                        I congratulate him for his Olympic success. But that doesn't give him the right to be a jerk.
                        Oh. Hawaii connection. Spitz lived here for four years as a very small child.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; August 14, 2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: Added link to photo. And Mark Spitz was a doodoohead, in my opinion. Heh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

When do the athletes strive to conquer Mount Midoriyama?
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            When do the athletes strive to conquer Mount Midoriyama?
                            Silly man - the Ninja Warriors are in Japan, not China. (And you don't need to say "Mount" when you use "Yama" - they mean the same thing. Sorta like saying "Ala Moana Boulevard." )

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Oh. Hawaii connection. Spitz lived here for four years as a very small child.
                              Certainly that does not explain his attitude you described earlier.

Comment

Congrats to USA gymnasts Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson for winning the gold and silver (respectively) in the All-Around Competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X