Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    You can't deny that the political climate in the host country of the Olympics adds more interest for a casual viewer.

The athlete for this Olympics will be as Chris Berman would say, Michael "Good Morning" Mr. Phelps.
    I haven't denied it, in fact, I suggested starting a thread in the politics category. Can't we just stick with the sports aspect in this category? You know, player's place?

Comment

Cold water splashed on the spectacular opening ceremony

Reported in London's 'Telegraph', that 'some' of the fireworks display that wowed some/many TV viewers were computer generated.

I hope not. I'd be awfully disappointed.

C'MONNNNN LONDON! Show us your British pop and fizzle sizzle in 2012!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The granting of the Olympics locations has long been, in and of itself, a political beast. This thread was begun by someone who wished to discuss the political aspects of the games, too. If someone wants to start an "Olympics: Sports Only / No Politics" thread, why don't they?

Comment

What's going on with the US women's bymnastic team? On the uneven bars, one fell off and the other landed on her back instead of her feet.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            What's going on with the US women's bymnastic team? On the uneven bars, one fell off and the other landed on her back instead of her feet.
            Maybe they're all scratching the game to prove a point, with hilarious consequences, like in that movie "Stick It"!

Comment

Re: Cold water splashed on the spectacular opening ceremony

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Reported in London's 'Telegraph', that 'some' of the fireworks display that wowed some/many TV viewers were computer generated.

It appears to be at the stadium and was due to hazards from filming live from a helicopter. So is that considered fake? I dunno.....

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

Here's the link.

Comment

Great events in the pool yesterday, especially for the 4x100 Men's Free. That was one of the best races I've ever seen, and the final leg was a thing of beauty. This is one of the glamour events, so it was especially nice to see the gold come home. And Phelps's chance at eight golds is still alive.

As for the mistakes on the uneven bars in the women's gymnastics, I think they were just lapses. The ladies were very good otherwise.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Great events in the pool yesterday, especially for the 4x100 Men's Free. That was one of the best races I've ever seen, and the final leg was a thing of beauty. This is one of the glamour events, so it was especially nice to see the gold come home. And Phelps's chance at eight golds is still alive.
                  agreed! agreed! agreed!

i was hanging on by the seat of my pants! boy, oh, boy! did the french team eat their words. said that they were going to, "smash" the americans.

haven't really watched gymnastics, but apparently the usa team is slotted to take the silver?

also, what a disappointing match between cuba vs. the usa women's volleyball team. they lost all three sets.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    [...]
                    i was hanging on by the seat of my pants! boy, oh, boy! did the french team eat their words. said that they were going to, "smash" the americans.[...]
                    In a show of sportsmanship, Phelps walked over to a member of the French team, who was still in the pool, to shake his hand. French team member was reluctant and after a pause barely offered his hand.

Comment

yep. in the end, everyone shook eachother's hands.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        In a show of sportsmanship, Phelps walked over to a member of the French team, who was still in the pool, to shake his hand. French team member was reluctant and after a pause barely offered his hand.
                        The French team were trash talkin' before the race about how they were going to stomp the Americans. They were like the Will Ferrell arch nemisis French racecar driver guy in Telladega Nights.
                        That was a great come from behind victory in USA Olympics history. It had the down the stretch surprise finish as Billy Mills in the 1960 Olympics that was a movie with Robby Benson as "Running Brave." Robby Benson as a Native American?
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 11, 2008, 07:43 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Re: Cold water splashed on the spectacular opening ceremony

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post

London Calling
                          to the faraway towns.
                          Now that War is Declared, and Battle Come Down.

Comment

I'm trying to find a video of the opening ceremonies online, but no luck so far. I heard that it was amazing. Is it available anywhere? Could somebody please post a link?
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              I'm trying to find a video of the opening ceremonies online, but no luck so far. I heard that it was amazing. Is it available anywhere? Could somebody please post a link?
                              This earlier post answers that, to a degree.
                              Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                              NBC is controlling all access to Olympic material in the US, so any YouTube clips of the Olympics is quickly removed.

You can go to NBCOlympics.com to review some of the opening events.
                              Even with my "slow" 1.5mb connection streams quite well.

Comment

That final 10 meters in the 4x100 Men's Free looked like it was computer generated, I've seen it a half dozens times and still can't quite believe it. I'll have a 'French Choke' to go with my burger and fries!
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X