And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

When the history of the 21st century is written, the growth and modernization of China will, I believe, be one of the most significant chapters.

The 2008 Olympics in Beijing may be the opening paragraph in that chapter. It was spectacular.

The pollution, poverty, corruption and injustice of China today cannot be downplayed. But it will, I hope, be a contrast for how far they will have come 92 years from now.

They have a long way to go, but they are moving faster than any country on earth.

Comment

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins...

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      And my favorite commentator comment, from the unflappable Bob Costas: "WHHOOOOAHH!"
      I didn't see the Olympic opening ceremony coverage. Did they top the acrobatic stunts of the Shanghi Circus or those swordfighting scenes in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        I still booed at Saudi Arabia for not allowing woman athlete to compete.
        Even Iran had women athletes in their entourage

Comment

Bah Humbug

I think this is a low point in world history.
          Few countries (policy makers/enforcers) today deserve to be cut out from society as much as China. To give them the Olympics is a disgrace and a stain on all who participate.
          Shameful.
          The games havn't been worth a damn for decades any way, and China is again getting away with exibiting atheletes that are underage. Cheating, at their own hosted events. Such class. Such honor. So proud they are.
          They suck.

Glad I'll be enjoying the Gabby-fest today. You should too.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
            Even Iran had women athletes in their entourage
            I give them credit for not glowing green or sporting an extra limb that may be a great advantage for them at the games.

Then again, they might "hulk" out at any moment.
            Last edited by Random; August 9, 2008, 07:14 AM.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Though not directly related to the Olympic, tragedy struck for one of the American volleyball coach.

A deranged 47-year-old chinese man attacked two of coach's relatives, killing one man and injuring an American woman as well as the female Chinese guide, before killing himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sp...eijing.html?hp
              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26104003/

Comment

Re: Bah Humbug

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                The games havn't been worth a damn for decades any way, and China is again getting away with exibiting atheletes that are underage. Cheating, at their own hosted events. Such class. Such honor. So proud they are.
                They suck.
                China's using kindergartens now? Not that I should be surprised but... what else do you expect from them when their concept of a "harmonious society" -- for which they emphasize the Chinese character "harmony" during their opening ceremony performance -- includes quelling and silencing any dissension the government do or won't do.

Comment

Re: Bah Humbug

Sports related ... the first gold is given to Czech Republic's Katerina Emmons for the woman's 10-meter air rifle competition.

Spain captured their first gold in the men's 254k mountain bike race (Samuel Sanchez).

South Korea captured their first gold in the men's 60kg judo competition (Choi Min-Ho).

Romania captured their first gold in the women's 48kg judo contest (Alina Alexandra Dumitru).

And US captured their first gold and bronze in women's saber fencing competition (Mariel Zagunis and Becca Ward).

Uh, yeah. China won two gold in the 48kg women's weightlifting and men's 10-meter air rifle. Never bothered to know their names.

Comment

No one can dispute all the various issues about China, but setting them aside for just one moment... I totally agree with TutuSue's comments that the Opening Ceremony was simply spectacular!
                    Some of the segments used 2,008 performers, and I was amazed when they noted that there were no marks on the floor to indicate where to go; simply precision movements. Wow.
                    The drumming segment was my favorite (again, with 2,008 drummers). I'd watch that again, for sure. Anybody know if that's on YouTube yet?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      No one can dispute all the various issues about China, but setting them aside for just one moment... I totally agree with TutuSue's comments that the Opening Ceremony was simply spectacular!
                      Some of the segments used 2,008 performers, and I was amazed when they noted that there were no marks on the floor to indicate where to go; simply precision movements. Wow.
                      The drumming segment was my favorite (again, with 2,008 drummers). I'd watch that again, for sure. Anybody know if that's on YouTube yet?
                      I don't know. The ceremony reminded me of a 60 Minutes video segment where Ms Albright from then-Clinton Administration visited North Korea and were treated so such a "spectacular" show of mass synchronous movements. It eerily creeped me out.

The only spectacular performance is the women's volleyball match between USA and Japan. Japan was strong in the beginning and were steady in their game, but sluggish USA managed to squeezed out a win in the third and final game. A lot miscommunication between players and their defense need improvement.
                      Last edited by Random; August 9, 2008, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        My daughter, while watching the opening ceremonies, said — quite seriously — "I hope President Bush doesn't bite into his glowstick and get green goo in his mouth."
                        Thanks for sharing that, Burl, and I gotta ask --- does she know this from personal experience?

Comment

ditto to tutusue's post. i enjoyed the opening ceremonies.

random, the women's volleyball match against japan was unremarkable. the only reason i kept watching was because of all the hawai'i ties. but, i do believe that japan one one game out of 4? they really need to step it up especially with the ball handling.

did anyone watch the women's soccer match against japan last night? i found it soooo boring.

also, in regards to the women's saber competition: the usa swept all three medals.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I watched the Fencing. Kind of a cool sport.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

NBC is controlling all access to Olympic material in the US, so any YouTube clips of the Olympics is quickly removed.

You can go to NBCOlympics.com to review some of the opening events.
                              Even with my "slow" 1.5mb connection streams quite well.

Comment

Was it better than the video of the courtyard shot of all the prisoners in orange jumpsuits dancing in precision to Thriller?
                                Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 9, 2008, 12:54 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
                                X