Korean Festival 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Festival 2008

Just a friendly reminder...don't forget about the Korean Festival on Saturday, July 12th, at Kapiolani Park!

We're gonna have some new things this year like face painting for the kids, new food demonstrations, and the Hawaii Korean Chamber of Commerce will have our own tent this year where we'll have some cultural items on display as well as demonstrations by the Hawaii Korean Chefs Association.

Award winning pop singer Kim Se Hwan will also be performing as our headline act at around 7:30pm. Before that, there will be the very popular song contest! Think of American Idol...but Korean style! If you're interested in trying out, the preliminary round will be held this Saturday, July 5th, at 4pm at 777 Karaoke. We've got great prizes this year such as a round trip ticket to Korea and a 38" flat panel TV so if you can sing Korean, come and try out!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Festival or is interested in volunteering, please feel free to contact me at any time.

See you guys there!

Re: Korean Festival 2008

Whew! I finally was able to get the Ala Moana Centerstage performance for the dancers from Korea confirmed this afternooon.

As you all (hopefully) know, the Korean Festival will be taking place this Saturday, July 12th, at Kapiolani Park from 10am to 9pm. As a big part of our entertainment lineup we are very lucky to have over 50 professional dancers from Korea arriving here to perform traditional Korean cultural dances. They requested to also perform at Ala Moana Centerstage and today, I was finally able to get that performance confirmed.

Their performance will take place this Friday, July 11th, at 2:00pm at Centerstage and will last for 45 minutes. During that time, they will perform several traditional Korean music and dances such as fan dances, court dances, and instrument performances with gayageum. For a modern twist on playing the gayageum, check out last year's Miss Universe 3rd runner up Honey Lee playing Epik High's "Fan" on her gayageum:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ifcSqrLKaRw

There's a good chance I may be MC'ing this Ala Moana performance too so if you're able to come by, feel free to say hi!

Comment

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give one last plug for the Korean Festival this Saturday at Kapiolani Park from 10am to 9pm.

We've upgraded everything this year as we continually try to improve on our Festival to offer the best of Korean culture.

Food selections as always include the popular items such as kalbi, bbq chicken, meat jun, mandoo, etc. But we also offer other Korean traditional dishes such as bibimbap, kimbap (Korean sushi rolls), spicy rice cake (ddukpoki), Korean sausage (soondae), kimchee pancake, kimchee fried rice, and even Korean style shave ice! Now you too, can eat the foods you've seen in the Korean dramas! Yum!

Entertainment at the bandstand will include traditional dances (performed by dancers flying in from Korea), taekwondo demonstrations, the Korean singing contest, and the ever popular kimchee eating contest. The finale will be our headline act, award winning pop star Kim Se Hwan!

Other features of the Festival include the cultural exhibit, face painting and Xtreme fun rides for the keiki, all day cooking demonstrations in the Hawaii Korean Chamber of Commerce tent, and picture taking in traditional Korean costume (hanbok).

Parking is plentiful at Kapiolani Community College and there will be a shuttle to the park every 10 minutes.

For more information, please visit our website: http://koreanfestivalhawaii.com/

Thanks, and hope to see you all there!

Comment

Whew! Another Korean Festival has come and gone. What a day! There's tons of little things that make this Festival work and it's quite a task to get them all under control.

But I want to thank everyone who attended the Festival and supported our event. I hope you all had a good time. But please, if there are any suggestions, comments, complaints, etc. please let me know. We cannot improve our festival year to year without feedback from the attendees.

And for those who couldn't make it this year, please come and enjoy next year!

Comment

I saw a photograph of a person drinking the remaining Kim Chee juice to empty the container. Is this the norm like how we drink all of the saimin broth to empty the bowl?
          Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 2, 2008, 12:47 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
          X