New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Kiwidiva, I know a Maori princess by the name of Reina Waters who lives in Mt. Manganui. She would be in her early 40's about now. She kinda looks like you. Any relation?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT ... IT'S NOT REAL!!!!
      No, it surely isn't. But neither were the works of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, the Grimm brothers, or Hans Christian Anderson, and the number of books written ABOUT those works is enough to fill entire shelves in the library, which they do. Sure, it's just entertainment, but for some of us, it can be as fun, meaningful, and entertaining to talk about that entertainment. I dedicated the entirety of my undergraduate study to such pursuits.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

OK, I stand corrected on the Palace, I guess it is supposed to be across the street. I do agree, though, that the camera seems to move around a lot, which gives the show a nice pace, but the camera never lingers anywhere. This jumpiness as a cinematographic technique (emulating a hand-held device) got it's start a few years back with NYPD Blue, when it was used to a really irritating degree for nearly a whole season b/4 they slowed it down a bit.

The problem is that one of the biggest stars of the show is Hawaii. Like the lights and deserts of Vegas and the semi-tropical settings of the CSI shows already mentioned, the beautiful backdrop of this show is The Islands, esp. Oahu. So... why just a glimpse of things? Keep the camera on certain scenes longer, with dialog in the background to fill things in. And mix it up. Go to nonusual places, like up the Tantalus Drive, for example, where even locals hardly ever go (except for a better view of da submarine races, of course!)

Comment

When is Alex O'Loughlin or Scott Caan use sunglasses as a prop for dramatic acting?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            When is Alex O'Loughlin or Scott Caan use sunglasses as a prop for dramatic acting?
            Um. What?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

TV Squad offers some input as to the what direction the show should be headed. For the most part, it's spot-on.

Put more emphasis on Scott Caan. Just three episodes in, it's pretty apparent that Scott Caan's version of Danno is the breakout character of this show. He's intense, he loves his daughter and will do anything for her, and doesn't follow McGarrett around like a lapdog. The writers have wisely given the modern-day Danno his own back story; we know more about Danno at this point than we know about any of the other main characters, and that's mainly because of Caan's performance.
              As if Scott Caan isn't already overshadowing lead actor Alex O'Loughlin as it is, TV Squad thinks Caan should be emphasized more? But you know something? I agree. My personal feeling was that if the producers wanted a stronger Steve McGarrett character who would carry the show, then they should have picked an older actor with a stronger screen presence. Someone who could project an air of authority and confidence over anyone else on the show. But O'Loughlin is nearly the same age as Caan. He doesn't have a tenth of the charisma that Jack Lord had. And his acting like the impetuous, loose cannon while the new Danno is more cautious and plays things "by the book" further diminishes the sense of McGarrett being a law enforcement leader who is in control over his team. The way things are headed, I do think the network might have to give serious consideration to having O'Loughlin and Caan being promoted as "co-stars" of Hawaii 5-0, instead of O'Loughlin being the main star.

The writer keeps talking about utilizing Grace Park more, and that makes sense. But at the same time, I don't think Daniel Dae Kim's role should be neglected. The burden that is placed on Chin Ho struggling to shake off the allegations that he was a bad apple in HPD's cart should be part of a developing storyline, which eventually leads to exposing who was responsible for the frame-up and clearing Officer Kelly's reputation once and for all.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Um. What?
                Then, there's a Roger Daltrey's scream after the sunglasses move.

Comment

Kiwidiva, I know a Maori princess by the name of Reina Waters who lives in Mt. Manganui. She would be in her early 40's about now. She kinda looks like you. Any relation?
                  not that i know of but i come from a huge ohana and the family tree spreads all over aotearoa and the globe so maybe?
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Mike Perry and Augie T make their debuts tonight - and watch for the 'traffic whip-around' from the airport off-ramp, to somewhere in west O`ahu and then a quick turn to the H3 tunnels - all in the same chase!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      Mike Perry and Augie T make their debuts tonight -
                      Wen goin' get Andy Bumatai?

btw: The U of Maryland marching band won the online voting for the Hawaii 5-0 theme.

Comment

Looks like they worked in Scott Cann's knee injury into the storyline. Also the return of the shave ice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Wen goin' get Andy Bumatai?
                          I wonder how available he is now that he's living in NoCal, repping Kona Deep Water and back on the road doing stand-up.
                          Originally posted by helen View Post
                          [...]Also the return of the shave ice guy.
                          Taylor Wily. Happy to see him in a somewhat recurring role.

Comment

I loved Augie T's appearance and his line re. the helicopter: "you buss 'em, you buy 'em".

Also, at the end, when McGarret and his sister were at the grave of their father (at Punchbowl no less), the gravestone read "John McGarret". Did I see that correctly, or am I missing something?

Comment

The dad's name is John. Are asking about if the last name is spelled 'McGarret' or 'McGarrett'?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                                Also, at the end, when McGarret and his sister were at the grave of their father (at Punchbowl no less), the gravestone read "John McGarret". Did I see that correctly, or am I missing something?
                                We just have to always keep in mind that they are connecting the old, but yet make no connection with the old.

I like the sister's line of how the Dad treated them like they don't exist. Well....they didn't on the old 5-0.

Comment

Working...
                                X