Primary Election Day - 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Election Day

hi this is sansei and if i lived on kauai,i'd vote for joann yukimura only since i enjoy my life here,in the general,it'll be for our great mayor m hanneman and for pres,mccain and vp palin and my second sister would vote for obama since he's hawaii born only i explained to her about a bill from a senator and she said that could be a problem is it would split our community in half with all of the race's who live here so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
      hi this is sansei and if i lived on kauai,i'd vote for joann yukimura only since i enjoy my life here,
      Separated at birth?
      Kauai mayoral candidate Bernard Carvalho and ex UH football coach June Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Did the ol' paper ballot thing and took a picture of it with my tiny digital camera.
        I think that's illegal in California - the courts once ruled that individual citizens cannot personally "waive" their right to a secret ballot. (But that may have also been overturned on appeal - I can't find all the appropriate rulings easily.)

Comment

I haven't heard anything like that mentioned for Hawaii.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I think that's illegal in California
            Originally posted by mel View Post
            I haven't heard anything like that mentioned for Hawaii.
            Yeah, neither have I. I don't think you should lose any sleep over it, mel (not that you would have...)

Comment

Re: Primary Election Day - 2008

Nuts! 6:00pm is 6:00pm, not 6:00:01pm. In line or in the door (when there isn't a line), else out of luck. We're as obligated to enforce rules that hinder voters as rules that help voters - the obligation is to the rules (as per the oath of office).

Concerning the electronic voting machines - they create a paper record of all votes, so even were the electronic votes altered (the electronic votes for paper ballots could be altered as well), the paper record could/should be cross-referenced with the electronic record for the final tally.

I found central control personnel and procedures were lacking. My Payroll Authorization Form (as referenced in the book) didn't exist, check lists in the book didn't jive or refer to separate (machine) check lists, phone answerers didn't know anything about the Fail Safe List, etc. For instance, a voter walks in and says he's changed residence from Wahiawa to Ewa Beach. He fills out a RAF and the VAO calls in the information. He's a registered voter, so central says he can now vote at Ewa Beach. However, central does not automatically check to see if he'd already voted in Wahiawa and/or have the voter's name crossed off in the Wahiawa Poll Book. When asked, my VAO told me that the change was approved in less than 5 minutes on the phone, so I called back and asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor didn't understand the problem at first recitation, but then checked and 20 minutes later confirmed that the voter had not voted in Wahiawa and was now crossed off their list. Why isn't a cross-check part of SOP? A voter could cast votes at multiple precincts simply by claiming a change of address each time. Also, blank RAFs are equivalent to blank ballots (a properly filled out RAF, brought in to any precinct will add the person to the poll book with no cross check by central control, since incoming RAFs designating new DP are not called in, per book procedures), yet RAFs do not receive the same level of control that ballots receive. I point out these same problems (concerning cross-checks and RAFs) at every debriefing, yet they are never rectified in the 2 year periods between elections.

My one 'big problem' this time around was that a poll book worker allowed an 'AB' to sign in and vote. I didn't catch it until well after the fact. I called it in, but central control failed to get back to me concerning whether or not the 'AB' was a mail in [and could be 'not counted'] or not (walk-ins cannot be 'retrieved'). It's always something...
              Last edited by salmoned; September 24, 2008, 11:37 AM.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
              X