Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
That's exactly my point and my guess is Cover Girls point, too. I don't really see Ellen as an actress. A comedienne...yes. She always seems to just be herself, be it her old sitcom or the CG spots. Then, again, maybe that was just good acting! She's just so darn likeable. I'm glad she came out of the closet. I'm glad she found her tv niche. I'm glad she's phenomenally successful. And I'm glad she was able to get married.
I absolutely agree! I'm so happy for her to be CG's model, and I just love her 'likeability' too!
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
Some actors go over really well in commercials, like Charlize Theron (perfume) and Kate Winslet (credit card). Oh, and I like Alec Baldwin (hulu.com). Others fall flat.
Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.
That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ali`i

I don't really have a quarrel with the ad as such, except that it's increasingly annoying to be reminded of the cost of paradise so blatantly - in this case, pretty exhorbitant.

The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!" and the graphic comes up on the screen at the same time and say $1.49 in Hawaii. That's a 67 percent markup if my math is right.

I know for a fact that past Taco Bell ads - both radio and TV - have changed the voice-over copy with local announcers when there is such a price differential so that voice and graphix match. I know the guy who did the revised voice-over . . . and part of the gig was also to do revised ads for Guam, where the differential between mainland and Guam prices was even more pronounced.

I still do patronize TB, however . . .
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!"
That commercial had a creepy guy asking in a whisper voice to see a high school girl Taco Bell worker.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!
IIRC there was a surge of international advertising in the 1990s when the anti-smoking backlash hit America and the tobacco industry was ramping up international sales. Madonna was one of the stars who smoked cigarettes for Japanese ads. I think there were some hard-liquor advertisers paying stars who also didn't want to have that image rebroadcast back in America.

That's a tough link to search for. "Madonna smoking cigarette" turns up a whole 'nother category of "advertising"...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM
Ali`i

Any mini Info-mercial. Like for the Ab-Ring or the Ab-Belt. That woman Jennifer who hawks the Ab-Ring is a professional body builder! She is NOT the overweight "before" picture. I hate it when companies do stuff like that. And nobody likes sitting through a 3 minute commercial.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ali`i

The Ricola ad where the dancers are swinging around, and the girl is hoisted to the shoulders of the man, and he coughs and almost drops her. The ending of the ad really irritates me. They do a close up of the man's head and shoulders with a dead-on view of the woman's ... [ah hem, er]... legs wrapped around his neck. I'm betting that nobody else has even noticed, but it bothers me because I view it as something that was intentional and along the lines of a "mini-gratatuitous-crotch-shot".
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:18 AM
Ali`i

I've just realized how much I dislike the Symbicort asthma inhaler commercial. It features the woman in the dark, talking about using the product? I find my self paying more attention to the model's panty lines, which are very visible, rather than the product. I'm sure that was not the intent.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Ali`i

I am SO over the commercial with the guys singing "Lollipop", working on an assembly line. It's some ink commercial. I hate that song and it gets stuck in my head. And it has nothing to do with ink.

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Ali`i

Another commercial they've started playing a lot is for Tide Stain Remover. A 11-12 year-old girl is whining that she wasn't able to get the $100 jeans she wanted because her mom got the BBQ stains out of her older sister's hand-me-downs thanks to the stain remover. I know it's supposed to be cute, but it just grates on my nerves about a 11 year old whining about not getting $100 jeans. I don't have $100 jeans and never have. Little hard to sympathize with this ad, Tide!

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

Tums, with the food that fights back as it's about to be eaten. My guess is it was much funnier in the creative meetings than it turned out in the final edit. Kinda silly.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ali`i

I think George Takai's saying "wow" in the Sharp Quattron commerical kind of makes it silly.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ali`i

The Progressive Girl appears on tv as often as Luke Wilson. She looks like she could be the daughter of Toni Basil. Hey Mickey!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Kanaka

My two least favorite commercials currently running:

1. Old Spice ads with a hunky bare-chested guy riding a horse backwards and various other nonsense. I guess the viewer is supposed to want to use Old Spice deodorant so he can be as cool as the pitchman but I think he's just irritating.

2. Time Warner Roadrunner ad with a man standing behind his wife at the computer whispering something about her being the "Queen of Downloadia" while looking at pictures of their trip to the "Canyon of Grandeur". This one is just creepy.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Ali`i

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/201004...s/ynews_ts1615

King Burger looks creepy already. Now, he goes postal.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Ali`i

I didn't pay close attention to the Carl's Jr commercial if it's made locally or nationally. A surfer dude eats a Hawaiian Teriyaki burger while the narrator mispronounces Hawaiian words.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100922/pl_usnw/DC69716

I'm familiar with Flo for Progressive, the Wow that's a Low Price at Staples guy, and the jerk who needs a McDonald's coffee.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Ali`i

The Reebok ad for their nifty new toning shoes. It features a good two solid minutes of nothing but close-ups of girls' rears in short-shorts, most of them bending over. I find this highly offensive because if you're going to go with that, at least get rid of those nasty, almost velvety purple shorts. Ew! Like anyone near my age would wear those!

Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
[...]It features a good two solid minutes[...]
Seriously? A 2 minute tv commercial? Or was that an exaggeration to make a point? Just curious.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Ali`i

Two minute spots have popped up more frequently in prime time recently, migrating from day time (and Lifetime !) - mainland media did stories on this several months ago, citing (1) high costs for advertising and ad cutbacks by companies that normally have made heavy buys, and (2) corresponding desire by broadcasters to fill avails with SOMETHING, rather than endless promos.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Ali`i

Thanks, Kimo. I'll have to watch for them. I did a quick check on YouTube earlier and didn't find any 2 minute Reebok spots. Regardless, a 2 minute spot in prime time has to be big bucks. If I wasn't so lazy I'd ask my daughter as she supervises a team of media buyers!
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Ali`i

Shirtless guys using the Shake Weight. Shouldn't there be a black dot blocking their suggestive device in the commercial?
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Least Favorite National Ads

Continental Airlines announced nonstop flights from LAX to Hilo.

Um... nonstop? Where the hell would they stop between Los Angeles and Hilo?!??!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Ali`i

ESPN is showing an old promo clip of Ben Roth saving Neil Everitt from a building fire by carrying him on his back. It was funny back then. But now, there's an ugi feel to seeing Ben Roth off the field.