Waianae school absenteeism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waianae school absenteeism

The StarAdvertiser has a report about the Court trying to address the high absenteeism at Waianae Intermediate School.
    The school, with 913 students in grades 7 and 8, had the highest chronic absenteeism rate last school year among middle schools at 38 percent, reflecting the percentage of students absent 15 days or more. The state average for middle schools was 14 percent that year.
    Waianae Intermediate students on average missed 21 school days — amounting to more than four weeks of school — compared with the statewide average of nine absences.
    So, they have focused on the problem and stats, and put in place a specialized truancy court. The outcome this year:
    A total of 68 students were referred to Truancy Court last year: 40 eighth-graders and 28 seventh-graders. “The majority had 60 to 90 absences,” Remigio said. Of the 49 truancy petitions the state ended up filing for the group, 31 cases were diverted from court because the students demonstrated improvement. Eighteen of the cases were brought to court, and 16 of those students improved enough during their court visits to have their cases closed.

So far, it sounds like there had been notable success.
    One has to wonder just how much the parents are part of the problem for some of those students? If a parent does not become involved and instead allows their child to be chronically truant, maybe there needs to be a special court program for the parents, too.
    Anyway, the program seems to be offering a pathway to educational success for some students that might otherwise end up dropping out. That is good!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Waianae school absenteeism

Agree on the reply on parent's involvement. I'm old, back in my days, I recall one boy got into a fight. He was a bigger guy. Tough guy.
    Football player. So he was in the Principle's Office. His Father was called and on his way. The Father was a short Japanese man (not that make a difference). The boy ran, and was MIA for a while. He was scared of his Father. The presence of his Father scared the $hit out of him. And he stood about a foot taller.

The point of the story is, there was that respect. That fear. That fear of a parent, and more specific the Father.

Kids today don't have that fear. Most don't have Fathers (not saying Fathers are the only one who discipline). I've seen too many kids today "pushing" around their only parent (Mother). Or now (sad to say) Grandmother, who has to take care of them.

Many kids today do what they want. And think how they want, even if it's wrong. Back then, I think kids may do wrong, but they sort of know what's right.
    Last edited by cabanalane; January 12, 2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

It's not the fault of the teachers; they have no choice other than to mirror the integrity of the university's sp-com professors.

Leadership Training has yet to be a requirement for education and health-care majors. "Teachers" have been loosed into the system without having demonstrated an ability to create effective agreements, specifically a student-parent agreement to turn in homework neatly and on time. Through leadership training one discovers what it takes to inspire parents to support their child's teacher—specifically—intention.

Children have no choice other than to mirror the integrity of the adults around him/her. Children misbehave, fail in school, and even get sick to bring to anyone's attention that they are not in-communication with anyone, that the adults around him/her have become stuck doing their imitation of communication.

I'm so very pleased to see posts about such matters.
      Last edited by Kerry; April 22, 2019, 12:23 AM.
      Communication-Skills Tutorial for Teachers

Comment

Curriculum is part of the problem. Kids see everyone around them struggling, and discover that what's being taught in school isn't helping to alleviate that suffering. Math, language, art, etc are all important, but there need to be more classes in practical skills: creating a budget, growing food, coding, critical thinking, and a million more things. And rather than cut back on counselors in schools, there need to be more so that one period each week is spent with a counselor sort of like a class. That would help kids get some answers when what they need isn't included in standard lesson plans. Schools today do a fine job of answering questions that students had forty years ago; when the students of 2020 begin finding the answers they need in school then absenteeism will go down.

Comment

Re:
          Originally posted by Robbos View Post
          . . . what's being taught . . ."
          Should read, "...what's being presented...." Education majors are not taught how to communicate subject matter, they are only introduced to the principles and fundamentals of communication; mastery is supposed to come from practicing on students, parents, and one's family members.

Personal integrity as a communication variable is not covered in schools and universities; the vast majority of education majors are granted diplomas still having dozens of thoughts (verbally unacknowledged perpetrations) they have hidden from their own parents, all oblivious of the effects of their addictions to withholding significant thoughts.

The majority of educators have been trained to deceive their own parents—evidenced by the fact that most conned their teen dates into deceiving both sets of parents so as to have sex. An educator with failing students is withholding one or more significant thoughts from his/her spouse/partner; using his/her leadership-communication skills they are also causing their spouse to withhold an equal number (yes equal number) of significant thoughts from them, such is the power of deceit.

An educator that's dragging around incompletes (life's unacknowledged perpetrations) into each present-day interaction does not inspire attendance. Incompletes serve as barriers to communication. A student has no choice other than to mirror the integrity of the adults around him/her.

An educator who causes students to fail or skip school has one or more incompletes, errors, inaccuracies, omissions or illegibilities on his/her Job Application Form—there are no exceptions to this phenomenon. Job applicants always mirror the integrity of the boss who supervises the person who administers the employee application process, the one who wasn't sharp enough to catch the out-integrities (sloppy work) of the applicant.

An educator knows their subject matter; a "teacher" both knows the subject matter and how to communicate it (no excuses, no reasons).

P.S. The test, as to whether or not you had a skilled communicator as a teacher is if you experienced love with them. Communication always always produces the experience of love. Most graduates say they "liked" Mrs. _ _ _ _ but few say they loved even one teacher. The fact that you can't recall loving a teacher reveals that you had become stuck talking with him/her. Talking produces mixed results whereas communication always produces a validating experience of love.
          Last edited by Kerry; March 5, 2020, 12:59 PM.
          Communication-Skills Tutorial for Teachers

Comment

Along the lines of parental involvement, it is a large problem area. In this day of financial insecurity, being forced to hold multiple jobs to survive, or longer work hours or days, a parent's job has become extremely more difficult to sustain. I'm not making excuses as where there's a will, there's a way. However, exhaustion and the lack of time and energy are major factors which cannot be overlooked. Most parents have the will, but not the time or energy.

Then, there are the juve themselves and the ever present problem of peer pressure. I was involved with at-risk juves . The most common factor in majority of cases was the lack of juve respect for anyone or anything. They will not respect unless they are first respected. Often times, being first respected didn't matter due to varying circumstances, such as my friend didn't like that person and so on. They willingly steal what they want even if not needed or required.

Comment

So true. I have had teachers that I had a connection with during the school year. I would have done what they asked for and gone beyond to make them proud of starting me on a task or path. Then there were those with no connection to any student as it was a paying job and it seemed wished not to be there. A definite difference in personalities and styles of transmitting information.

Comment

Working...
              X