Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: cultural thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55

Jay Zeus kee rice.

My sentiments exactly. You ^ need to lighten up. I didn't even read about your group, all I was saying was, and it was in a playful way, "It would be tight to belong to a Lemur organization because Lemurs are cool. Not commenting on your Lemurian society in any way, positive or negative." There, easier to understand? *shakes his head*

Additionally, both for muilang and aunty- lemurs aren't marsupials. I don't know where you got such info but it's wrong. Lemurs are primates.
"That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 23rd, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitepoint3rchum
Additionally, both for muilang and aunty- lemurs aren't marsupials. I don't know where you got such info but it's wrong. Lemurs are primates.
Agreed.

Primates also DERMOPTERA (flying lemurs)

"There are two species of Dermoptera in one family native to Southeast Asian mountain or lowland forests. Flying Lemurs are 340-420 mm. body length, with long limbs and tail, large eyes, short ears and nocturnal habits. When outstretched, membranes running from the neck to the front feet, back feet, and end of the tail allow flying lemurs to glide between branches and to feed on flowers and fruit high in tree tops or on outermost tree limbs that are out of the reach of most animals. Activity is reduced during the day when Flying Lemurs hang upside down by their claws. Gestation is 60 days, and only one offspring is born per litter. Young receive extended maternal care and several flying lemurs may live together (Nowak 1991)."
http://www.demogr.mpg.de/longevityrecords/0201.htm

Still, one should "respect" another's opionion no matter how lolo it may seem.

Auntie PuPule
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Kia`aina

Very true. I was talking more about the ring-tailed, etc. variety but in sny case they aren't marsupials. Also Lynn, what belief are you talking about? I was in no way attacking you or anyone else for that matter. I don't understand where this hostility came from. What belief is lolo? Who ever said that? I merely stated it would be cool to be in a lemur clan, in a joking way. I don't actually want to be part of a lemur society for goodness sake. I merely confuse Lemurian for an adjective form of Lemur before I was enlightened by Muilang.

Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 23rd, 2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Whitepoint3rchum, It's been over an hour since I posted my comment. Pau already. Nuff said. I'm not well. On with the new.

Have a nice day.

Auntie Lynn
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Ali`i

Hey, I know what! Let's analyze everything to death!

(emoticon of your choice)
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAzza
Hey, I know what! Let's analyze everything to death!

(emoticon of your choice)

Damn straight crazy woman, jump on board next time.

Aunty, hatchet burried.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu
You guys are going to have to stop calling the Continental States "the Mainland". For those of us who have their roots firmly embedded in the soil of these Islands, the States are not our "mainland", Hawai'i is our mainland. Please cease your inconsiderate references, it's irritating.
Nalu, I hear what you're saying. Those of us in the Seattle area who write for and publish the Northwest Hawai`i Times newspaper have had this very same discussion, and the editor-in-chief has expressed her similar dislike for the term "Mainland."
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to agree on an acceptable alternative yet - "Continental States" is accurate, but clunky. "Mainland" is common usage to describe the continental part of a region, particularly in relation to islands, so it's also an accurate definition (your use of "main" in this case takes it into a different realm.)
Other suggestions? The floor is open.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu
You guys are going to have to stop calling the Continental States "the Mainland". For those of us who have their roots firmly embedded in the soil of these Islands, the States are not our "mainland", Hawai'i is our mainland. Please cease your inconsiderate references, it's irritating.
I just call it "America".
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
I just call it "America".
Nice, but that doesn't work if you are trying to differentiate between the State of Hawai`i, and the states of the North American continent. Try identifying the latter simply as "America" and you'll be inundated with comments pointing out that Hawai`i is a part of America, too.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Kia`aina

How about "The 48"?
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
Try identifying the latter simply as "America" and you'll be inundated with comments pointing out that Hawai`i is a part of America, too.
but not by many here.
There is a general consensus, still yet, that the Hawaiian islands are separate from america. geographically of course, but in many other ways too. Many are chagrined to have seen their home taken by haole and their Queen imprisoned in her own palace. Then in 59, Hawaii was made a state. some are still not too happy about that. So, yea, you can understand the slightly less than patriotic fervor many displayed here just after 9/11, when that female journalist was stuck here and she bitched about how there wasn't anywhere enuff of the flag waving, car flags and stickers she thought she outta see as was in evidence in the states. and they are "the states" Plural. collection of. more than one, in one setting.

Last edited by kimo55; July 24th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Ali`i

If we have to address this semantic issue at that political a level, however, we are guaranteed to never find terminology that will satisfy enough people - leaving us back at the beginning (using "Mainland," as the most commonly-accepted descriptive.)

(And "48" leaves out Alaska, of course.)
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitepoint3rchum
Are you of the ringtail clan or a red-belly tribe?
I was going to pop in and make reference to those without stars upon thars, but I don't want to pi$$ off the Sneetches that may be lurking here.

So I won't.

Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 24th, 2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: t42+24t
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I was going to pop in and make reference to those without stars upon thars, but I don't want to pi$$ off the Sneeches that may be lurking here.

So I won't.

The Lorax, Horton and the Sneetches were my babysitters. Everything I needed to learn about politics, racism, human rights and protecting the environment I got from Dr. Suess.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If we have to address this semantic issue at that political a level, however, we are guaranteed to never find terminology that will satisfy enough people - leaving us back at the beginning (using "Mainland," as the most commonly-accepted descriptive.)

(And "48" leaves out Alaska, of course.)
But it isn't just a political level, Leo. We might be U.S. citizens, but America is a continent thousands of miles away, and as different culturally, ethnically and uh, issues-ially (beat me 'o Editrix) as we are similar.

CONUS has always worked for me (pronounce it once, define it once, and it sticks--continental U.S.). Thank you, General Somebody for creating the term.
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o
But it isn't just a political level, Leo. We might be U.S. citizens, but America is a continent thousands of miles away, and as different culturally, ethnically and uh, issues-ially (beat me 'o Editrix) as we are similar.

CONUS has always worked for me (pronounce it once, define it once, and it sticks--continental U.S.). Thank you, General Somebody for creating the term.
Again, Pua`i Mana`o, mahalo nui loa. Sometimes, you are good at pointing out (to me) something I already know, but you put it in terms that help make it clearer.

And I have now suggested that we try CONUS in the newspaper; perhaps we can add an editor's note explaining why we are using the term. If folks would like to read comments from our paper's editor, Rochelle delaCruz (originally from Hilo, and who does commentaries for Hawai`i Public Radio as well), click on:http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/edshome.htm

Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 24th, 2006 at 04:35 PM. Reason: no longer maybe; now DID
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
"Moku Honu" (Turtle Island) works for me.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K
"Moku Honu" (Turtle Island) works for me.
That also works for the Wampanoag Indians (the Native Americans who greeted the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock) in Massachusetts, too!

Miulang
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Kia`aina

Yes, I like CONUS. I realize "the 48" excludes Alaska, but most of the time people in Hawai'i aren't refering to Alaska or people in Alaska when they say "mainland". At least it seems to me they're talking about Cali, Oregon, Texas, New Jersey, New York, etc. Alaska usually doesn't strike me as part of "the mainland" when refered to in such a way. I really like CONUS although I had no qualms with "mainland".
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
And I have now suggested that we try CONUS in the newspaper; perhaps we can add an editor's note explaining why we are using the term.
My editor responds, regarding CONUS ---
It's a military term - when (husband) was in the Air Force, it's what I heard all the time when they referred to the "mainland." And with dis Iraq war, I want to avoid any military connection.
Actually, I like using "the continent" and have been doing so on my public radio commentaries, although technically, it includes Canada and Mexico. No one from Mexico or Canada has yet to complain. And when I purposefully say "da mainlin," it's fraught with all kine stuff.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Ali`i

why can't we appropriate military terms if they are simple enough to use? Aside from their origin, their definition is to the point and baggage-free.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Ali`i

I say, let's just end the war in Iraq - then I can use a term with military etymology freely! Everybody happy! Yay!
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
why can't we appropriate military terms if they are simple enough to use? Aside from their origin, their definition is to the point and baggage-free.
Unfortunately, the baggage that comes along with the origin of the term "CONUS" overrides its simplicity of use. However, I kind of like it, because it inadvertently bespeaks of many U.S. policies vis-a-vis indigenous peoples, when it is pronounced as "con us." In a similar vein, it can be pronounced as "con-U.S.", as opposed to "pro-U.S." Occasionally, even English terms can have kaona.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K
Unfortunately, the baggage that comes along with the origin of the term "CONUS" overrides its simplicity of use. However, I kind of like it, because it inadvertently bespeaks of many U.S. policies vis-a-vis indigenous peoples, when it is pronounced as "con us." In a similar vein, it can be pronounced as "con-U.S.", as opposed to "pro-U.S." Occasionally, even English terms can have kaona.

perzactly my point! I like CONUS, and pronounce how you like.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
perzactly my point! I like CONUS, and pronounce how you like.
Too Funny. I'm with fever and delirious...

I'm pronouncing it slowly out. C O N - U S