Fireworks tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks tax

The Star Bulletin had this article today about a bill in the state Legislature that would place a 50% tax on the sale of consumer type of fireworks.

A poll is attached to this thread, it's worded on the general concept of placing a tax on fireworks as opposed to the specific wording of House Bill 887 which might change in the course of the legislature session. This is an one choice, public poll.
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    37.50%
    Not sure or Other (can explain in the thread)
    0.00%
    No opinion on the subject
    12.50%

Re: Fireworks tax

Bad idea, to me.

It would be as if the gubment's taxing it at multiple levels. Stores already have to get a permit to sell it. Consumers pay the 4.167% on it. Enough is enough. I hope whatever legislators sign it will have the bill blow up in their face (pun intended). And what a way to just create a more lucrative black market.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Sounds like an attempt to squeeze more revenue, considering they define the "special fund" with so little detail. We don't need another study on effects of fireworks on children under 18. This would just simply encourage the fireworks black market to grow.

Comment

As long as it includes the major leaguers that wake up the whole neighborhood at 5am, I'm all for it.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          As long as it includes the major leaguers that wake up the whole neighborhood at 5am, I'm all for it.
          That's the problem. The "Major leaguers" are probably using illegal fireworks. Illegal is going to be tax-free.

I see this as driving people to the black market. It's only going to make things worse, not better.

Comment

I see it as another sin tax-- like gas, alcohol, & tobacco.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              That's the problem. The "Major leaguers" are probably using illegal fireworks. Illegal is going to be tax-free.

I see this as driving people to the black market. It's only going to make things worse, not better.
              It seems Ron’s main concern is noise. In that case, I would beg to differ with your assessment. Illegal fireworks consist almost solely of aerials, some of which are nearly as silent as a sparkler. The loudest fireworks are in fact the most taxable: firecrackers (in fact, they are already taxed in the form of a $25 city permit). By no means am I taking a personal position on the tax issue. I’m still debating the pros and cons, namely, what would such a tax be used for?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Illegal fireworks consist almost solely of aerials, some of which are nearly as silent as a sparkler. The loudest fireworks are in fact the most taxable: firecrackers
                I disagree. Some aerials may be quiet, but many are the loudest of all. A loud bang to launch it, and another when it blows.

The legal firecrackers are not all that loud. I'm sure once you look at the black market, you'll find many louder ones.

About the only thing I like about the bill is the parts dealing with the assessment of the hazards of the smoke. I'm sure the idea is to find a reason to persuade the public to give up the fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I disagree. Some aerials may be quiet, but many are the loudest of all. A loud bang to launch it, and another when it blows.

The legal firecrackers are not all that loud. I'm sure once you look at the black market, you'll find many louder ones.
                  Sorry in advance if I am a bit skeptical, but in Hawai‘i, 99% of consumer firecrackers come from China (where they were, in fact, invented). The other 1% comes from Macao. The only “illegal” firecracker I am aware of is the M-80, manufactured in the U.S. (originally by the military), and which most residents and more importantly, HPD, do not classify as a firecracker, but a Class B Explosive. And if, in your opinion, firecrackers are not all that loud, you obviously haven’t heard the Duck brand. *sigh* Unfortunately, it’s increasingly harder to get.

I agree there are some isolated aerials that are unusually loud. It’s less of a volume thing, then a “bone-chilling bass” effect, though. I disagree that these particular aerials would fall into the category of “many.” “Rare” would be a more accurate descriptor.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

if they state were smart, they would tax the aerials. cause thats where the money is made.

Comment

Working...
                    X